Recommend A Good Bench Shooting Vise For Bottle Guns

You might be surprised at how steady you’ll be with a decent rest. Even a good bipod and a rear bag will provide a very solid platform.

I have an Atlas bipod and a rear bag. I don't have high blood pressure or anything I just move the gun when I hold it. I can shoot running squirrels at 50yds but when I hold the gun on a bench the crosshair is moving around and I need a way to eliminate that to see what the gun it's self is capable of.

Relax, don't grip the rifle with a death grip. Breathe slowly. Try shooting thumb up. Try out different fingers and finger holds that will push the trigger straight to the rear like a switch.

I found that the tip of my first finger works well for this, just pushing the trigger straight backwards. Used to scatter my shots all over but now I get some sort of precision.

Another important factor is your natural alignment (I am not English speaking so there may be a better word) Close your eyes; aim; then open your eyes and see where the rifle is pointing. Adjust your body until you alignment is natural. If you try to force the rifle in a direction which it is not naturally pointed, it WILL jump and the shots will go wide.

Now I am shooting off a cheap bipod and a homemade bag with rice at the back and I am happy with the results.

Best of luck.

Holding a gun absolutely rock solid is one of those impossible tasks with diminishing returns... after you spend $500 to $1500 on a stainless adjustable rest then you'll realize that the shooting table is wobbling and you'll need to pour concrete pads and build a foundation and....

I think it's better to learn how to shoot from a solid but maybe not perfect rest using bags or simple blocks, the cheaper currents, bipods, etc and use your body as the dampening agent. Think of the gun and reticle as always being in motion and you're coming in to fire at the moment the gun's motion aligns with the target. 

The other thing is that to get a really good zero you have to be shooting a lot of shots at that last click to understand whether the gun averages a tick up or down, etc. It's really about tightening up the averages of many groups rather than expecting one group to be perfect.

Or maybe I'm just BSing as I haven't won anything but audits and red light tickets.

Your BS sounds pretty solid, that's how my old man taught me when I was nine. You can't stop movement. Although you can relax and slow your breathing to help reduce movements. 

0CBA7BE5-E00C-49BE-AC6C-F8ED441D6D6E.1645102746.jpeg
90B59F19-62D3-495E-B809-F8727DEDDF18.1645102748.jpeg
I’ve always wanted that same thing, to be able to walk up to the bench and clamp the rifle in for a test of it’s consistency, not my skill. I remember a guy that sold airguns called Dirty Harry, and he clamped guns in a device to test for ultimate accuracy. It definitely showed you the guns capabilities, but only at about 20 yards. I think if you took a device like this Bog death grip, and attached the vice part to your bench securely you could use a tail bag and have a super steady rest. The Bog death grip was $199, it holds a heavy rifle very firmly although you’d definitely need to anchor the tail to get the repeatable accuracy you are interested in. Please post what you come up with and good luck with the project.

+ 1 for Frankly and his words of wisdom. Can't upload photos so I'll describe how I just reached my point of diminishing returns last weekend: AA HFT 500 with a bench block and Sightron 10x50 FT optic, resting on a Caldwell Rock BR, rear squeeze bag, sitting on a Dewalt welding table ($240 on Amazon). It moves with my heartbeat. Never thought about how to lock it down, that is another genre entirely. 

Same day I plopped another gun on my tack driver bag and thought it was pretty damn close. 

At the informal, indoor 50 ft BR shoot I'm scoring ~ 590's / 600 with a few x's; the serious guys with Thomas rigs on $1000 plus rests scoring 600 with multiple X's. Very tempting but not on that path, yet.

You might be surprised at how steady you’ll be with a decent rest. Even a good bipod and a rear bag will provide a very solid platform.

I have an Atlas bipod and a rear bag. I don't have high blood pressure or anything I just move the gun when I hold it. I can shoot running squirrels at 50yds but when I hold the gun on a bench the crosshair is moving around and I need a way to eliminate that to see what the gun it's self is capable of.

As purely an academic exercise, I respect what you're doing, but I don't see the practical value. I don't know your main shooting discipline, but regardless, the rifle is not going to shoot by itself. Ultimately, the only thing that matters is how well you shoot a given rifle. I think you have the opportunity for improvement in your bench technique, and I would invest my time there. For example, I'm a lousy shooter from a standing position. But, if some informal testing from the bench indicates one rifle is better than another, even if I have lousy bench technique, that rifle will, on average, produce a better standing score than the other. You don't need to know the absolute mechanical limits of a rifle's accuracy potential. You just need to know how, on average, it compares to your other choices. I should add, if you can shoot running squirrels at 50 yards, your potential is unlimited!

While you're trying to squeeze off a shot that is absolutely aimed perfectly, as perfect as the last one while your rifle is absolutely clamped into the strongest vise on a table about as stable as a Bridgeport mill, you'll miss a 1/4 minute wind off your left shoulder and the shot will go right and low, and you won't know why. A good rear bag and a stable high quality front rest will assist your holding and aiming. Good wind flags will help too.

I’ve always wanted that same thing, to be able to walk up to the bench and clamp the rifle in for a test of it’s consistency, not my skill. I remember a guy that sold airguns called Dirty Harry, and he clamped guns in a device to test for ultimate accuracy. It definitely showed you the guns capabilities, but only at about 20 yards. I think if you took a device like this Bog death grip, and attached the vice part to your bench securely you could use a tail bag and have a super steady rest. The Bog death grip was $199, it holds a heavy rifle very firmly although you’d definitely need to anchor the tail to get the repeatable accuracy you are interested in. Please post what you come up with and good luck with the project.

Ive had this for 5 years now and still like it.

CTK PRECISION P3 Ultimate Gun Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W75L32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_5FJAKPWRVG37N52AJ9F7

Thanks for listening and suggesting what I asked for guys.