• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Recommend a air rifle that fits these needs

So I'm looking for a PCP air rifle for hunting any game in my area. My area we have game like deer, some pig but rarely, bear, and sometimes moose. I want it to be able to take all of these if possible, so that in the event something happens in the world in the future, I know I can hunt for food. I'd like it to be multi shot if possible. Meaning it has a clip of some sort similar to the Crosman Marauder. I'd like it to be within the price range of $1,000.00, I don't have the money yet but after I buy my first car and get it finished till I feel safe in it (5-7 months from now) I'll be saving for the air rifle.

Please note I don't want anything past this price range. The only way it would end up being any higher in price is if it can be converted to shoot arrows as well as the pellets.

Every caliber has its limitations, and needing one to take big game limits you to large calibers—read that as EXPENSIVE! While there may be more than one model under $1,000, Benjamin's .357 is a candidate. But, I do not believe it can be tuned enough to take a moose or bear. I've shot two moose in my life, and one of those took two 300 grain, well-placed .375 caliber bullets, and still ran 75 yards. 

As for pigs, a 357 does well, and so can a well-placed .25 caliber if heavy pellets are used, and you're under 35 yards or so.

The bottom line is, you'd better thank about a few more dollars than your proposed limit. 

There is no perfect air rifle for all situations just like there is no perfect firearm or knife for that matter. The fact that you want an air rifle to ethically and reliably kill large game is going to require several pieces of expensive equipment that you will be able to power and maintain. To cut this short with your range of game, applicability to a survival situation and budget you'd be better looking at an appropriate firearm (probably used) and learning to reload ammunition, including casting lead bullets. Do not overlook black powder firearms (you could make powder and caps if you had to). I know this is an air gun site and others might disagree this is just my opinion.

"Alan"Every caliber has its limitations, and needing one to take big game limits you to large calibers—read that as EXPENSIVE! While there may be more than one model under $1,000, Benjamin's .357 is a candidate. But, I do not believe it can be tuned enough to take a moose or bear. I've shot two moose in my life, and one of those took two 300 grain, well-placed .375 caliber bullets, and still ran 75 yards. 

As for pigs, a 357 does well, and so can a well-placed .25 caliber if heavy pellets are used, and you're under 35 yards or so.

The bottom line is, you'd better thank about a few more dollars than your proposed limit.
You can shoot arrows from the .50 cal rifles easily, and they're coming out with the .357 arrows. Shooting arrows you can pretty much take any large game in NA. I have a bulldog, its a solid gun with a reasonable number of shots, plenty of power, and mine is exceptionally accurate. 

If I were in that situation I would be getting a takedown recurve for $200 and load up on arrows/broadheads and replacement strings and even some spare limbs. The amount of maintenance and paraphernalia needed for big bore air rifles makes them impractical in a survival situation. If you insist on relying on an air rifle for survival, something in .22 in a magnum springer/gas ram would be ideal but mostly for smaller animals, and some smaller pigs and deer within 20-25 yards if you are able to shoot dimes at that range (needs a pinpoint brain shot in both cases). 

"Adam"If I were in that situation I would be getting a takedown recurve for $200 and load up on arrows/broadheads and replacement strings and even some spare limbs. The amount of maintenance and paraphernalia needed for big bore air rifles makes them impractical in a survival situation. If you insist on relying on an air rifle for survival, something in .22 in a magnum springer/gas ram would be ideal but mostly for smaller animals, and some smaller pigs and deer within 20-25 yards if you are able to shoot dimes at that range (needs a pinpoint brain shot in both cases).
It's actually very easy to fire arrows from a bulldog. Just takes a full length arrow, and something to give it a decent seal. And as far as bullets go, lead is super common and 9mm/.357/38special are all super common bullet molds. Like $18 on the internet new. I hand pump my bulldog as well. Also not everyone is good with a bow, and they take a considerable amount of practice. 

"Arsenul"
"oldspook"You don't want an air gun. You want a 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled slug barrel for teh big stuff and a nice improved cylinder barrel for the shot cartridges. Spend the other $500.00 on reloading equipment, hulls, shot, powder and primers.
No, I want a air rifle.
I understand you want an air rifle. The problem is the requirements list you specify.
Deer, Pig, Bear, and Moose plus multishot under a grand and good as a long term survival weapon... 
Good luck with that.

Good lord. Why is it so hard for people to read what he's asking for and make a recommendation...

He wants a hunting multi shot air rifle capable of taking deer, moose and pig for less than $1000. It's not a difficult one.

You want a one of the cheaper big bores. The Benjamin Bulldog, the JKhan Krossa 9mm and the Hatsan Carnivore 9mm should all work for the purpose with well placed shots. They are all repeaters and less than $1000. 

I probably wouldn't hunt bear or buffalo with any of those though. You'd want an extreme big bore for that but they are all single shot and more than $1000 so forget about the bear. 

Also check hunting laws in your State. Some have minimum power requirements for large game which pretty much rules out all air guns in some places. 

"zebra"Good lord. Why is it so hard for people to read what he's asking for and make a recommendation...

He wants a hunting multi shot air rifle capable of taking deer, moose and pig for less than $1000. It's not a difficult one.

No, he said he wants Deer, Pig, Bear, and Moose plus multishot under a grand and good as a long term survival weapon…

Anyone can recommend a rifle that does part of that. He said he wants a rifle that does all of that. Why did I recommend a shotgun instead, because he mentioned long term survival which brings in a whole other set of requirements. Maybe he is going to have to shoot that bear or moose because it wants to stomp him into the dirt, I dunno. He is in a survival situation. The gentleman is not being realistic in what he wants. There are other solutions which would better serve his requirements than any air rifle. To my knowledge there is no air rifle that meets all his requirements, not even the FX Indy but it probably comes as close as anything else, until he tries to shoot a charging moose with it... at which point he won't have to worry about survival any longer.

Sometimes we just can't have what we want. Sometimes what we want isn't what we need.
Just my two, no intent to offend.

"Willie14228"Good point OldSpook, I will make another, as far as anything that shoots from a clip, and that is to my knowledge (admittedly limited) none is able to shoot heavier slugs like 300 or 350 grain slugs
I like that new one from Umarex called the .50 Hammer and it might well fit the bill as far as what it can kill. They are saying it is a multi-pump but the salesman gets it wrong. It is a magazine fed, pump action rifle and can deliver 700 fpe. I have no idea of the price point. It will shoot a 500 grain bullet at about 900 fps.. A 50 cal rifle is not a survival weapon unless you gather most of your meat with traps... Actually it probably does fit his criteria as long as he does some trapping to get supper. BUT he still has to buy a pump and carry it around....

"oldspook"
"Arsenul"
"oldspook"You don't want an air gun. You want a 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled slug barrel for teh big stuff and a nice improved cylinder barrel for the shot cartridges. Spend the other $500.00 on reloading equipment, hulls, shot, powder and primers.
No, I want a air rifle.
I understand you want an air rifle. The problem is the requirements list you specify.
Deer, Pig, Bear, and Moose plus multishot under a grand and good as a long term survival weapon... 
Good luck with that.

The reason I say moose and bear is just to have the biggest things seen in my state maybe be possible. But the biggest thing I'd get in the area is MAYBE a cow for whatever scenario that calls for it. Also let it be known, I'm in no way a prepper or anything like that. I just would like the thought of knowing the air rifle I have can take the game in my area. I will also have something for small game.