• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

recoil reducer on springer ?

Hi , I would like to know if somebody tried to put a recoil reducer on a springer . This device is used on big bore firearms to ...well , reduce the recoil. It's a metal tube about 4" long and 3/4" diameter partially filled with mercury and works on the inertia principle. It is installed in a hole drilled in the stock , parallel to the bore. When the gun recoils backwards the mercury mass tends to stay in place , by inertia , and generates a force pointing forwards , thus reducing the recoil .Sometimes mercury is replaces by a mass of lead between to springs , same principle .

Here is one from Brownells gun parts , called "dead mule". I put one on my 12ga shotgun and it works well.

I wonder if this device could improve a springer accuracy in a way or another.

l_365509100_1_l.jpg

@ AirShot : you're right about a springer recoil : it goes mainly forwards , but I think this inertia system should work in both directions , mass is going in the opposire direction of the recoil . On the other hand , forwards springer recoil is maybe not "strong" enough to make this device work . It was just an idea....but I think I'll go for a try , just to see . I'll keep in touch...😉

@ AirShot : you're right about a springer recoil : it goes mainly forwards , but I think this inertia system should work in both directions , mass is going in the opposire direction of the recoil . On the other hand , forwards springer recoil is maybe not "strong" enough to make this device work . It was just an idea....but I think I'll go for a try , just to see . I'll keep in touch...
1f609.svg

The device might very well make the shooter feel less recoil, but the gun will still recoil the same and that recoil is what makes these springers more difficult to shoot accurately. The device makes your shoulder feel less but the rifle will still move the same.