Recognizing Bad O-rings

Hello All,
While servicing the regulator in my EDgun R5M, I discovered that several o-rings had gone bad. I made some photos before and after replacement, to help illustrate what they look like when they go bad. New ones in the upper photo, have a nicely symmetrical rounded profile above the groove. Now look at the bad ones in the bottom photo and it's clear that they have been permanently deformed and taken a set from compression. Some o-rings get pushed to one side or another and stay that way. You experienced technicians will recognize these symptoms immediately. I thought it would help to post photos for those learning the craft.

Regards,
Feinwerk

R5M Regulator Piston with Good & Bad Orings 20231105 annotated.jpg

Hello All,
While servicing the regulator in my EDgun R5M, I discovered that several o-rings had gone bad. I made some photos before and after replacement, to help illustrate what they look like when they go bad. New ones in the upper photo, have a nicely symmetrical rounded profile above the groove. Now look at the bad ones in the bottom photo and it's clear that they have been permanently deformed and taken a set from compression. Some o-rings get pushed to one side or another and stay that way. You experienced technicians will recognize these symptoms immediately. I thought it would help to post photos for those learning the craft.

Regards,
Feinwerk

View attachment 410611
Thanks! This is the type of information I joined AGN to find/see!

Although I will probably always have to have somebody else work on my guns and especially the regulators, maybe eventually (if I live long enough) I will be able to work on them myself and thanks to posts like this, at least I will be able to SEE what the problem(s) is.

On another note, I am still leaning towards unregulated guns because that first shot is the most important to me.

Thanks again!

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: Feinwerk