• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Recirculating cooling system design.

20230115_185440.jpg

This is my set up for eliminating the need for the 5 gallon bucket and consistent temperature control. It was fun to put together and 100% maintenence free. (So far)

It recirculates automotive coolant from a resevoir at the top through the pump to a Derale intercooler on to a second radiator through the air compressor head then on to the flow meter back to the reservoir where it repeats.

I also use a 4500psi reservoir tank rather than fill my gun from the compressor directly.

I've been running this for about 6 months now with no issues. So far, I'm pretty proud of it though it was quite costly to build.

Maybe even overkill.

PC watercooling components should be good enough as well.
I saw a guy take the head apart for rebuild and the hard water deposits in his head cooling manifold were awful. I mainly wanted to get rid of the 5 gallon bucket, but you are certainly correct. Water works just fine too. I had most of this stuff on the shelf anyway, so I put it to good use. The Derale intercooler is $300 bucks alone, but it was packed in a box for 3 years not being used...

Reactions: Seeker
I saw a guy take the head apart for rebuild and the hard water deposits in his head cooling manifold were awful. I mainly wanted to get rid of the 5 gallon bucket, but you are certainly correct. Water works just fine too. I had most of this stuff on the shelf anyway, so I put it to good use. The Derale intercooler is $300 bucks alone, but it was packed in a box for 3 years not being used...
Saw same video, scared me straight about removing hoses and using shop compressor to blow water out of system. Here's my set-up, parts on shelf remain in place, hoses to bucket section broken down after each session, water dumped in washing machine on wash day. (No small children in household so no drowning worries.) WM
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg

Reactions: SplitSecond
View attachment 323525
This is my set up for eliminating the need for the 5 gallon bucket and consistent temperature control. It was fun to put together and 100% maintenence free. (So far)

It recirculates automotive coolant from a resevoir at the top through the pump to a Derale intercooler on to a second radiator through the air compressor head then on to the flow meter back to the reservoir where it repeats.

I also use a 4500psi reservoir tank rather than fill my gun from the compressor directly.

I've been running this for about 6 months now with no issues. So far, I'm pretty proud of it though it was quite costly to build.

Maybe even overkill.
SplitSecond

Does your setup mostly slow down the temperature from rising or at some point does the temp stop increasing and does it hold at a specific temperature after that? If that is the case around what temp is it holding? I'm trying to figure out the efficiency as I am getting tired of the bucket.

-PJ

Reactions: SplitSecond
SplitSecond

Does your setup mostly slow down the temperature from rising or at some point does the temp stop increasing and does it hold at a specific temperature after that? If that is the case around what temp is it holding? I'm trying to figure out the efficiency as I am getting tired of the bucket.

-PJ
It holds steady at 135 degreed at the compressor head. Without the intercooler and using only the radiator canister, it runs 157 degrees. Those temps are consistent after warm up. I'm using a hand held laser temp sensor, so those numbers may vary. I'm not using any inline temp sensors or gauges as I probably should.

Last edited:
Saw same video, scared me straight about removing hoses and using shop compressor to blow water out of system. Here's my set-up, parts on shelf remain in place, hoses to bucket section broken down after each session, water dumped in washing machine on wash day. (No small children in household so no drowning worries.) WMView attachment 323611
That's nice and compact. Good you elevated the water supply too.

That's nice and compact. Good you elevated the water supply too.
Followed our Yong Heng expert, Biohazardman's advice to the letter. Water as level with compressor, as possible, items for filling above everything forcing moisture to work uphill and keep filters perpendicular. The rear mounted box fan is also his idea. I take credit for remote-mounted digital temp display (Velcro), twist tied hoses to bucket handle and shoestring around feet of fan and compressor to keep fan from vibrating away during operation. Yeah, I know mine aren't that significant, but we do what we can. WM

Followed our Yong Heng expert, Biohazardman's advice to the letter. Water as level with compressor, as possible, items for filling above everything forcing moisture to work uphill and keep filters perpendicular. The rear mounted box fan is also his idea. I take credit for remote-mounted digital temp display (Velcro), twist tied hoses to bucket handle and shoestring around feet of fan and compressor to keep fan from vibrating away during operation. Yeah, I know mine aren't that significant, but we do what we can. WM
What temp does it run? (F)

Nice job, but I go into my gold filter from the bottom and out the top so hopefully not carrying any debris to the tank or gun. Maybe I got it backwards.
Welcome to AGN btw.
I should probably flip that around. I never thought about that... I'm still unsure the direction of flow in relation to input and out put. It should definitely be from the top. Good observation.