• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Recipes thread?

Maybe once a month someone suggests a recipe section, just never gets traction. Game recipe threads occasionally show up, run their course, and fade out, never touched by Administration. If I want recipes, plenty of recipe forums around to visit, come here for airgun related topics, prefer to keep it that way. WM

One of my “recipes” for wild game is for nuggets. Just like chicken nuggets but with rabbit, grouse or what have you.

Wild game by its nature tends to be much tougher than the meat one buys in the store and so when you cook it making it as tender as possible should be one of your main goals. With the nuggets I accomplish this by cutting the meat into bite sized pieces across the grain, (less than an inch thick), and then marinating it for 3 or more days. For a marinade I’ll always use soy sauce and garlic, but then I’ll also add things like ginger, sriracha, or whatever else I think might taste good. It depends on the type of meat.

To cook I just roll the nuggets in flour and pan fry them in about 1/4” of oil. You can deep fry them too if you wish. Sometimes I add salt and pepper to the flour, sometimes not. Cooking in oil is the important thing. It helps to keep the meat tender.

If I’m cooking for children or people who are dubious about wild game at this point I will often proceed to put the meat back in the pan, but this time without the oil and fry it again quickly with orange sauce.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place 10" cast iron frying pan in oven to preheat as well.

I cup Martha White self-rising corn meal. (It's pea-picking good!)
1 egg
5/8 cup of whole milk
2-oz olive oil
3-oz grated cheddar cheese
3-oz chopped onions
3-oz chopped jalapenos

Mix meal with milk, whirled egg and vegetable oil. Once mixed, add in cheese, onions and peppers. Mix well. Pour into heated pan once oven has completed heating, then bake for about 25-minutes (while you shoot your pellet or BB gun) and enjoy.

Here's one of my favorites. Soak a few bushy tails overnight in brine water.
01 brine and vinegar.jpg

Then into a pressure cooker with some water and seasoning. I like to add a little crab boil. Even the toughest squirrel meat will be falling off the bone.
02 pressure cooker.jpg

Separate it out into a shallow pan and add about 1/8" of chicken stock to keep it moist. Or you can use the stock from the pressure cooker. Sprinkle on a little dry seasoning of your choosing. Prudhomme's Poultry Magic is a good choice.
03 pressure cooked and in the pan.jpg

Then a blanket of Wright's thick-sliced bacon to keep it cozy:
04 bacon covered.jpg

And finally into the oven at 350°F to allow the bacon to ooze its goodness onto the tender meat. Out of the oven and to the table to meet up with fresh corn on the cob, caprese salad (tomato, sweet basil, soft mozarella, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt), sweet cantaloupe, and baked beans:
05 on the table.jpg

Have you ever tried honey lemon chicken? It's a surprisingly easy dish to make at home, and so much tastier than takeout. If you're looking for an easy honey lemon chicken recipe, there are tons of great options online. They usually involve simple ingredients like chicken breasts, lemon juice, honey, soy sauce, and a few pantry staples. In under an hour you can have a delicious and healthy meal on the table!

Last edited:
Reactions: Treefrog