• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Received My First PCP - Taipan Veteran

Got my first PCP in yesterday from Talon Tunes, a Taipan Veteran Standard .22.

Taipan-Veteran-Standard.1621135924.jpg

I did a lot of research before ordering this rifle, and I am glad I did. This thing oozes quality. I shot it a little yesterday and was happy with the accuracy and the groups I was getting.. I then did some reading last night and tuned it slightly today.

I took the barrel off and cleaned it thoroughly, then polished it using some bore polish. I then turned the hammer spring down so I was shooting JSP 18.13 pellets at 890 fps and then shot my first group. Right now I am shooting inside my shop, so I only have 20 yards to the target, but this group size was half the size after the clean and tune than my others yesterday. 

I shot a .08" 5 shot group! (.30" edge to edge minus .22 for the pellet size). 

Veteran-at-20-yds.1621136042.jpg

I think I am going to have an incredibly fun time with this little rifle. I have a few friends in the warehouse complex my shop is located in. They get together every Wednesday night to shoot PCP rifles and just have a good time. They also go out on weekends to hunt prairie dogs. I can finally head out with them.

Thanks everyone for recommending me this rifle when I asked a few weeks ago. Don't think I could have made a better choice. 

That's a great gun. One of my favorite tier 1 options out there. I don't even have a tier 1 gun or ever have. I chose to buy mid level and budget level guns to upgrade myself to learn the craft. I love the knowledge I have now but looking back at the cost I could probably have an edgun a taipan and an raw hm1000x and still saved some coin. Lol I have like 10 good working airguns that I basically built myself but sometimes I look back and wonder what it would look like if I just bought the airgun I really wanted for my first gun way back when I first started. I think you definitely did pick a great first rifle. One you can hang on to forever and have no regrets. Welcome to the forum 🤠

Well done, one of my favorite rifles. In my experience, it stands alone in its combination of simplicity, reliability, and accuracy. The trigger rivals many match rifles, yet overall, about as complicated as a brick. Due to a chronic shoulder condition, I now have a problem with heavy rifles, and I really don't like bull pups either, but I still find a way to shoot this one as often as I can. Enjoy.

Well done, one of my favorite rifles. In my experience, it stands alone in its combination of simplicity, reliability, and accuracy. The trigger rivals many match rifles, yet overall, about as complicated as a brick. Due to a chronic shoulder condition, I now have a problem with heavy rifles, and I really don't like bull pups either, but I still find a way to shoot this one as often as I can. Enjoy.

Sorry about the shoulder condition! The trigger is wonderful as I received it from Talon Tunes. I have a machinist buddy that I do some TIG welding for and he HAD TO take a picture of the Taipan trigger internals, partly because I made him look at it.

Congrats! I have always been intrigued by the Tiapan but have never owned one. I think I'll put one on my short list after more research as they always get good nods from folks. There was a time where the barrels came into question as to whether they were being shipped with CZ barrels or not which canceled my interest in them at the time of my interest in them. I don't know what's going on these days with them. Keep us posted on your experiences.

You have a good looking rifle there. Is that the coffee? I like the Taipan the most out of all the airguns I have bought! As said above I wish I had started with it.

I hope I don't derail the post with this. I think it's important. 

Elh I put a sling on my standard. If I use it shooting offhand the felt weight is dramatically reduced. More than I imagined. And if carrying it around I stick it on my shoulder. Maybe it could help you be able to shoot more??

IMG_0343.1621183845.jpeg

Thanks Oldsparky, if I do any position shooting with it I will definitely use a sling. I'm doing most of my yard shooting seated, using a shooting stick. I can get the rifle positioned using my healthy left side, and then I can hold it long enough to get the shot off, then relax before the next. It's a casual pace for sure, but I've got plenty of time!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, this is the coffee stock. Looks even better in real life.

I shot it again today (still indoor due to the weather). I was shooting at some IBS 50 yd Rimfire targets, only at 20 yards though. Still, I kept scoring 250 and between 20X and 22X (out of 25 possible).

At 20 yards, this gun is too accurate to even be a small challenge, it is almost too easy. I need to get outside and shoot some longer ranges.

Amazing guns! I'm hoping to get a Shorty soon in .22. Had one years ago and sold it and want one again. There that good.

@triggertreat Keith, they for awhile went to LW barrels on .22s but have gone back with CZ barrels now for .22s. Not sure of the reasonings as I had a couple of the .22 Standards and Longs with CZs and LWs and both were the same accuracy wise. I too didn't want one with the LW barrel but then tried one and was very happy with it. However now going back with the CZs I'm happy to get one of those as I do love a CZ barrel.

Amazing guns! I'm hoping to get a Shorty soon in .22. Had one years ago and sold it and want one again. There that good.

@triggertreat Keith, they for awhile went to LW barrels on .22s but have gone back with CZ barrels now for .22s. Not sure of the reasonings as I had a couple of the .22 Standards and Longs with CZs and LWs and both were the same accuracy wise. I too didn't want one with the LW barrel but then tried one and was very happy with it. However now going back with the CZs I'm happy to get one of those as I do love a CZ barrel.

Thanks Dillon! It is always good to know what barrel is being put in an airgun. I really like the Impact, but never have liked swapping calibers, so I want a separate caliber gun ready to go and is reliable. Probably .22 cal as I have plenty of power already and want something smaller/lighter and very quiet. Yes, my .22 Mrod has all of that, but is not something different and new if you know what I mean. I did take a hard look at your Evol, but already have similar with the Slayer from that maker. I would also like to experience the Taipan trigger, and they have addressed the 2x6 stock look of the past now. The rear cocking may be the only dig still.