Reccomendations and considerations for first high quality air rifle

So I can't use a regular air compressor to fill these tanks?

No-the pressures used are from 2000-4350 psi. Also any hint of petroleum oil combined with the high pressure air is potentially explosive! There are purpose made high pressure compressors for filling guns and air tanks. Dive compressors are generally best, but are very expensive. The subject of compressors is a world unto itself! Some research is called for before taking that step.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

As others have stated, to get a high-end rifle you will need to spend over 1k. There is a huge difference between even an $800 gun and a $1000+ like an FX Dream-Tact or an Airmaks Katran. If you already enjoy shooting, then you will enjoy shooting airguns and it will probably be worth it to you to get something nice that you won't have to upgrade from. But that's just my 2 cents. The Dream-Tact uses standard AR buttstocks so you can pick one that will work for you and put it on yourself.

You should verify a local source of moisture-free high pressure air, such as a dive shop, paintball shop, etc. In some locations, fire departments once accommodated local citizens in this manner, but I think that is about gone due to liability concerns. I would never encourage a new PCP owner to buy a compressor. I've been playing with these rifles a long time, and I still would not be comfortable owning and maintaining a high pressure compressor. You can hand pump PCP rifles, but it's a chore, and the air is not totally free of moisture, which can lead to problems. Of course, there are shooters who routinely hand pump, and others who own compressors. IMO, the best advice, avoid both. 

You should verify a local source of moisture-free high pressure air, such as a dive shop, paintball shop, etc. In some locations, fire departments once accommodated local citizens in this manner, but I think that is about gone due to liability concerns. I would never encourage a new PCP owner to buy a compressor. I've been playing with these rifles a long time, and I still would not be comfortable owning and maintaining a high pressure compressor. You can hand pump PCP rifles, but it's a chore, and the air is not totally free of moisture, which can lead to problems. Of course, there are shooters who routinely hand pump, and others who own compressors. IMO, the best advice, avoid both.

I certainly respect your opinion and it's appreciated but not quite understanding your advice to avoid a compressor. 

I'm retired, shoot every day and live in a rural area. I use my compressor every day to top off guns and always with safety in mind.

Retired my hand pump inside of a week. 

I agree with the others, your budget is needed first. You are going to need $1,000 minimum for china compressor and a good tank alone. Then over $1000 for a rifle, over $300 for a scope, extra mags, etc.

you should do your own research, cause your going to get suggestions of every kind thats out there. You have to decide if you want traditional rifle, bullpup, compact, bottle gun.

More shot count also means more time on a hand pump, less means also more time on the hand pump. Without a compressor and a tank, I guarantee you will spend more time pumping than you will shooting.

I recommend at least a FX Dreamline, their like a transformer , you can build it the way you want. It really did shoot like a dream, plus you can change calibers, and shoot arrows. 

And dont worry about getting a pump, I hate when people throw out poop to worry others, or scare them away from doing something. As long as your not an idiot, and watch some YouTubes about filling tanks, and cylinders you’ll be ok. 

Some just need to put their purse down and do things, and not be so scared all the time. Stop being so technical about the humid air, your NEVER going to find optimal conditions.

I certainly respect your opinion and it's appreciated but not quite understanding your advice to avoid a compressor. 

I'm retired, shoot every day and live in a rural area. I use my compressor every day to top off guns and always with safety in mind.

Retired my hand pump inside of a week. 

Mark, I'm probably overly cautious regarding the compressor, Obviously, you and many others use them without problems. I have easy access to dive shop air, so the compressor is simply an expense and risk I don't need. I have a Hill hand pump for emergency use, and I've rarely used it. As you, I would find routine use a burden. I'm glad you are satisfied with your compressor. If I were in your situation I would seriously consider it. 

And dont worry about getting a pump, I hate when people throw out poop to worry others, or scare them away from doing something. As long as your not an idiot, and watch some YouTubes about filling tanks, and cylinders you’ll be ok. 

Some just need to put their purse down and do things, and not be so scared all the time. Stop being so technical about the humid air, your NEVER going to find optimal conditions.

Vargas, for all practical purposes, dive shop air, from properly maintained equipment, can be considered dry. Maybe it's just me, but when dealing with a lethal force (and HPA certainly is), well, maybe a little technical thinking is okay. Again, just my opinion. 

Ed

I used to come here and lurk around before I bought my first pcp rifle in 2018.It was the Benjamin Armada in .177 caliber.You can put all the AR goodies on it, hand grip,stock etc.It came with scope and bipod for around 700 at the time and whatever PA coupons I used.I also bought a Benjamin carbon fiber tank(400$)but you can get a cheaper one than that and just get it filled at the scuba or paintball place whichever is closer.Or get cheap compressor for few hundred.(you don’t need both right now)My point is I was shooting my brand new pcp for about 11-1200 bucks.If I had signed up first and asked for advice,I probably would have lost interest before I even got started with people telling me I need multiple thousand just to stick my toe in the water.On the other hand I probably would’ve just did exactly what I did and made do with the money I had to spend.Nobody wants to hear save some more money when you have money to play right now.I will say 1000 bucks can get you shooting a decent gun.Let’s say you get x rifle;5-600 bucks. A scuba tank you need to get filled or cheap compressor 2-400 bucks.All you need now is scope and ammo.If you’ve reached your all in before scope;I’ll send you a Centerpoint 4-16x50 that I don’t use.It’s not a GREAT scope but you’ll be shooting.My two Armadas .177 and .25 along with the Akela .22 which if you look at the Crosman craftsman line Akela,Kratos,Cayden they are within reach and have FIVE year warranty. Sorry for the long post y’all. Just don’t want to see someone get discouraged thinking they need a million bucks to shoot a pcp.

image.1633646171.jpg

I used to come here and lurk around before I bought my first pcp rifle in 2018.It was the Benjamin Armada in .177 caliber.You can put all the AR goodies on it, hand grip,stock etc.It came with scope and bipod for around 700 at the time and whatever PA coupons I used.I also bought a Benjamin carbon fiber tank(400$)but you can get a cheaper one than that and just get it filled at the scuba or paintball place whichever is closer.Or get cheap compressor for few hundred.(you don’t need both right now)My point is I was shooting my brand new pcp for about 11-1200 bucks.If I had signed up first and asked for advice,I probably would have lost interest before I even got started with people telling me I need multiple thousand just to stick my toe in the water.On the other hand I probably would’ve just did exactly what I did and made do with the money I had to spend.Nobody wants to hear save some more money when you have money to play right now.I will say 1000 bucks can get you shooting a decent gun.Let’s say you get x rifle;5-600 bucks. A scuba tank you need to get filled or cheap compressor 2-400 bucks.All you need now is scope and ammo.If you’ve reached your all in before scope;I’ll send you a Centerpoint 4-16x50 that I don’t use.It’s not a GREAT scope but you’ll be shooting.My two Armadas .177 and .25 along with the Akela .22 which if you look at the Crosman craftsman line Akela,Kratos,Cayden they are within reach and have FIVE year warranty. Sorry for the long post y’all. Just don’t want to see someone get discouraged thinking they need a million bucks to shoot a pcp.

image.1633646171.jpg

I really want to second this opinion, as it is excellent advice. I have a bunch of expensive airguns, but I certainly didn’t start there, simply because at one point I couldn’t afford it! My first PCP was a Benjamin Marauder in .22. I shot that for years before getting into FX airguns, and had a wonderfull time doing so. Guns like the Akela, Kratos, Cayden plus the Marauders are excellent value for money. You don’t need the most fabulous scope. A CenterPoint 3-12 did well for me for quite a while. I had no difficulty using a hand pump with my Marauder, or with any gun that fill to 3000 PSI/200 Bar. It is definitely harder when the pressure get above that, or you go from a tube to a bottle, but quite doable and its good exercise.

If you have the cash, then by all means follow some of the excellent advice above. But I think that you are better off getting something decent, and shooting, shooting, shooting NOW, rather than NOT shooting but saving for months or years to get something a little better. If its a wait of a month or two to get the better gun thenI would wait, but if its many months away… Nah. Get what you can stretch to now and go shoot.

Chris

Think about others instead of your own conditions or requirements. Not everyone has access to a dive shop, not everyone lives in a city, or near a ocean. Scaring the poop out of other people isn't helping them.

its like when your girlfriend asks, “do these pants make my ass look fat?” You dont respond, “no, its your fat ass that does.”

just be straight, and say that you prefer not to use a compressor pump cause it makes you fell uncomfortable.

Think about others instead of your own conditions or requirements. Not everyone has access to a dive shop, not everyone lives in a city, or near a ocean. Scaring the poop out of other people isn't helping them.

its like when your girlfriend asks, “do these pants make my ass look fat?” You dont respond, “no, its your fat ass that does.”

just be straight, and say that you prefer not to use a compressor pump cause it makes you fell uncomfortable.

Please look a couple of posts back. That's pretty much exactly what I said. Everyone should do their own due diligence and go with their comfort level. And to the OP, you should do just that, and I'm sure you will make the best decision for your situation.

Very new to the world of airgunning. Had a couple older pump guns and just got my first pcp. Bought a used daystate wolverine, less than half the price new, but still around $1k. LOVING IT! Bought a tank-$599 and a hand pump-$180. Haven't had a chance to get tank filled so I've been filling by hand everyday. It ain't by any means "fun", but it doesn't suck too bad. It is a workout. I'm 155lbs, only last 230-250 bar is a bit difficult. It's a big cylinder-480cc. Takes approx 200-225 pumps to go from 100-250 bar. Pump gets hot so I take breaks after about 100 and then after every 50 to let it cool. I got 75 shots yesterday starting at 250 bar to 200. Start at 200 next shooting day, see how many more shots I get before it starts to drop off. I will be looking to get that tank filled at paintball shop before too long, but like having the hand pump for just in case. 
20211003_084928.1633670440.jpg

5shots@30yrds
20211006_152548.1633670492.jpg

I've also come from the firearms side. Been shooting many years but I'm no competition shooter. Better shooters could get better groups at further distances, although, I've only owned her for a week, and we haven't got the feel for each other just yet, I'm gonna keep working on improving. Hope this info helps your decision making. 

My 2 cts: airguns are a different ballgame from firearms. Getting to understand the differences and getting you preferences clear is a journey.

Hence, two advices: buy quality and buy secondhand. Its gets you good stuff and you will be able to resel and step up later.

bytheway, get a .22: pellets and slugs are so diverse in weight and application that you will always be able to make it fit your need, while keeping your air usage reasonable.

OP probably said screw it, got spooked at the numbers…maybe?I hope not because it’s a great hobby.In my opinion though guys no matter if YOU shoot a 3/4/5 thousand dollar set up,if a new member has a budget and trying to get in the game then we should be trying to help him work with his budget.
Like i said before, if I had asked advice here first and said I had 1200-1300 for everything; gun,air source, scope, and ammo.I probably wouldn’t have come back after being told that ain’t enough money. Come on guys..I’ve seen it a bunch…guy comes here say I wanna try pcp and I have 1 thousand bucks.Some guys will tell how to work that thousand.Others will be discouraging saying “double your budget”. Even after getting my first pcp I still didn’t sign up or post here for over another year because all the posts seemed to be about 2-3000 dollar guns and if you didn’t have one your 7-800 dollar gun ain’t sh#t.Please consider that when people ask for advice with a budget to try and stay in that budget.I know 500 ain’t much to start so I doubled his budget up to 1,000 to actually get shooting.But saying 2-3000 is necessary…C’mon Maaan.

Sorry for the long post again.

OP probably said screw it, got spooked at the numbers…maybe?I hope not because it’s a great hobby.In my opinion though guys no matter if YOU shoot a 3/4/5 thousand dollar set up,if a new member has a budget and trying to get in the game then we should be trying to help him work with his budget.
Like i said before, if I had asked advice here first and said I had 1200-1300 for everything; gun,air source, scope, and ammo.I probably wouldn’t have come back after being told that ain’t enough money. Come on guys..I’ve seen it a bunch…guy comes here say I wanna try pcp and I have 1 thousand bucks.Some guys will tell how to work that thousand.Others will be discouraging saying “double your budget”. Even after getting my first pcp I still didn’t sign up or post here for over another year because all the posts seemed to be about 2-3000 dollar guns and if you didn’t have one your 7-800 dollar gun ain’t sh#t.Please consider that when people ask for advice with a budget to try and stay in that budget.I know 500 ain’t much to start so I doubled his budget up to 1,000 to actually get shooting.But saying 2-3000 is necessary…C’mon Maaan.

Agree, 1k should suffice to get you in the game......BUT once you become consumed like so many have, the only direction is forward. 

Perhaps better advice would be BUYER BEWARE !!!! What lies in the horizon is better glass, moderators, generators, regulated guns, excavation of home gun ranges, an unquenchable desire for more guns, pellet hording and perhaps marriage counseling......some perspective. 

Somewhat agree to that, I was upset after only being able to afford a hand pump and a hatsan at44. The hatsan wouldnt take air, sent a new gun in to be repaired, month later it arrived still! Unable to take air, thru forums i was able to take it apart, void the worthless warranty to unjam a check valve.

Shooting was just to much damn work, pumping was a chore. The magazine wouldnt cycle sometimes, it was a nightmare, because i couldn’t afford better stuff.

that is all that i passed along, you really do get what you pay for. Better quality always equates to more $.

starting out with a low budget pcp was a horrible experience for me. 

Totally agree.My thinking at the time of first pcp was “Hey, Crosman has been around for years and the Armada .177 came with scope and bi-pod and had good reviews so I took a chance without seeking advice.Bought another one in .25 the next year.I felt if there was a problem Crosman would stand by their product.Yes now 3 years later I have a Uragan and a Weihrauch and a compressor but starting out it was a Benjamin Armada, scuba tank and driving to the dive shop to get my tank filled.

I agree. I got in the game for about $600 with an Urban, a pump, and a scope. I have spent way way more since then, but you can get in the game for and enjoy it at his budget, he just needs to be realistic in his expectations.

JL, Most of us either use a dive shop, or paintball supply shop, or if you know anybody at the fire department they might fill for you. filling a gun with medium air reservoir capacity with a hand pump gets old extremely quick!!! Small reservoirs are still hard work but doesn't take near as long to do. 4500 psi tanks provide more fills on your gun compared to a 3000 psi tank.

I recommend getting a Yong Heng compressor, They are around $300 and are not bad. I've had reasonable luck out of mine and have filled my tanks 28 times. It's $10 a fill at my dive shop so I'm ahead since I went halves on Yongy with a friend.

You can find used air tanks around but make sure they are not old enough to be out of the service date thus allowing a hydro service. Hydro is a tank safety testing certification process that costs around $50.

I'd keep reading and learning here on AGN until you get to the point of understanding pcp's and the limitations involved.