Reccomendations and considerations for first high quality air rifle

I am a precision rifle shooter and shoot a lot of .22 LR no real experience with nice air guns. Want to get something that I can do some longer range target work with as well as pest control on farms. Would like to get into something pretty nice, Ive been through buying cheaper rifles and gear. With that in mind Id like to see what my options are at or around 500$ but would go more if its worth it.

I know almost nothing about air rifles. I have shot Gamo break barrels as a kid but that's it.

I want something with some good adjustability in the stock (both buttpad and comb height), nice optics mounting options, and something that handles well off a tripod and bipod. Guessing I should go .22 cal over the .177? What are other factors should I be looking at when deciding?

Thanks

I assume you are interested in a PCP rifle, which will require some extra equipment. If you have a dive shop or other source of compressed air, then a scuba tank and fill accessories are all you need.

Bigger issue, budget. The threshold price for a "high quality" PCP rifle is $1K. You will have others tell you different, you just have to do your homework. I currently have 6 of the things, price range, $1,500 to $2,800, each. Being a rifle shooter, you know what good optics cost, maybe you have some RF scopes that can do double duty. Starting from scratch, a full compliment of rifle and equipment, around $2K. Pay to play, good luck.

I would go with either TX200 MKIII or HW97K. Both are available in .22 cal. Both do not have adjustable buttpad or adjustable cheekpieces, you would have get a custom stock. Both are spring powered so the scope you get will need to be springer rated. Springers have both a rearward and forward recoil. Most firearms scopes can only handle rearward recoil. Pyramid Air would be a good place to start. Staff there are friendly and helpful.

In terms of spring guns, I will second the HW97 recommendation. I have one in .177, and it shoots very well. Mine has been tuned down with a 12 fpe Vortek kit, but I think you would want the full power version.

A lot depends on your definition of "long range", and the type of pesting. You may have trouble finding a fully adjustable stock (Weihrauch HW98 is one), and these rifles don't accommodate bipods very well. 

If you really want something “pretty nice” for long range shooting, you’re probably going to have to increase your budget quite a bit. There are some new PCP’s that can be had for at or around $500 but I wouldn’t really consider them pretty nice. Well, I take that back…They’re pretty nice, just not really nice. It’s all relative I guess, you’ll see that almost all of us have different budgets, opinions and desires! 😉

It really depends on what you want to spend…What is all too common in our sport is to buy all the air gun we think we can afford, then sell it in the near future and buy something better. You’ll hear the phrase, buy once, cry once, over and over in our sport because so many people buy an air gun and then sell it(losing money)shortly thereafter and upgrade to something they really want.

You’re on the right track with the EVOL, it’s a very impressive air gun, it is also very expensive. Same goes for the FX Impact, Daystate Red Wolf, FX Maverick, Rapid Air Weapons HM1000x, LCS SK-19, Daystate Wolverine, Air Arms S510, Daystate Delta Wolf, Edgun Leshiy, Taipan Veteran, Kalibrgun Cricket, RTI Prophet and on and on and on. There are so many great air guns these days. It’s a really good idea to shoot as many air guns, in every price range as you can. People often ask, both of these guns are very accurate, why should I spend $1700 on an air gun when this $500 air gun is accurate too. All you have to do is shoot a few air guns from each price range and you’ll see that it’s not just about accuracy. You should also consider fit and finish, aesthetics, warranty, shot capacity, feel, power, the report, magazine capacity, smoothness, ease of maintenance, reliability, access to support in the form of videos, tutorials, help on AGN and other forums, aftermarket accessories and parts, modularity, and on and on. You get what you pay for when it comes to air guns, many of the less expensive air guns just feel cheap when you pick them up...Light, hollow feeling, not streamlined and don’t cycle as smoothly as a more expensive version. Another thing that is common in our sport is to buy an inexpensive air gun and then upgrade it. Instead of buying a $500 and then upgrading it with $500 in parts and accessories, just buy a $1000 air gun to start with! It will save you time, money and you’ll have a better air gun. 

I’ve rambled on long enough but I wanted to say one last thing…You should definitely consider buying a used air gun. Make sure to buy it here on AGN from someone that is very well known or check the classifieds at some of the major retailers like AOA. You could save up to 25%, 30% or maybe even 40% if you’re lucky. 

Like somebody already mentioned, don’t forget that you will need a scope, rings, air source, pellets and accessories. Those items can add up fast and easily come to another $300-$600-$1000-$3000! No, I’m not joking either! Air tank $300-$600, compressor $400-$1500, rings $20-$100, scope $200-$2000, etc…

Good luck with your air gun hunt. There are a lot of super people here on AGN that are knowledgeable and always willing to help out. Just ask. You’re going to love the sport, it’s just awesome!!! 

Have a good one.

Stoti

I'm liking the Evol 22 but the price isn't realistic for me right now. Anything else that take AR15 furniture?

Jordan, I can't help with a specific recommendation, as I avoid anything even remotely tactical/AR15 in appearance. But I have this general advice. Based on your current budget limits, enjoy your RF rifles a while longer, while building a little cushion for getting into the PCP thing. For long term satisfaction, you should have at least $2K, and preferably closer to $3K before opening this Pandora's box of unlimited spending opportunities. I realize that is a much larger number than your initial spending limit, but that's the reality of it.

pends on what you expect really .. ive shot .22lr since i was a kid for 40 + years .. cant remember ever spending fkin 5k$ on one to shoot 100y competition level precision with ... if i did , yeah i would expect more lol ... that said you can get average .22lr precision from an average pcp like an avenger for example .. thats out to 'average' .22lr range like 50 ... YOU know if you sight a .22 at 100 you cant hit jack at 30 50 ... same with a average pcp .. so if you want a thousand dollar scope and turn turrets and 1/4" accuracy at freakin 150 yards, yeah .. you need a 5k$ setup .. with anything ... but an average budget pcp will be pretty good at average .22lr ranges, probably better actually ... especially with alittle basic work ..

Take a look at the DAR .177 for something that will shoot, while not breaking the bank. They are around the $270 I believe, then a basic pump for around $100-150. That should leave you with some extra for some mounts, then use a spare scope from one of the powder rifles.

Is there anyone around you that has airguns? If so try what they have and see how you like it. Either that or save up some more and get a higher budget rifle.

Though a bit of warning.....this is more addictive than the powder side. So be prepared to spend some serious coin in the future. 

$500 will merely scratch the surface once you discover the accuracy of a finely crafted PCP. 

My unregulated cheaper guns with cheap glass are confined to the gun cabinet, possibly never to be seen again. 

My pick for the absolute best you can do without refinancing your home. 

AA S510 in .22 with a Hawke airmax scope.
20210827_183544.1633560292.jpg

In that price range a Kral is you best choice that's where I started with a Super Jumbo ($625 from Krale so a little more) in .25 but .22 is fine too I wouldn't go for .177. Second to that the Benjamin Cayden or Kratos also made by Kral would be great as well. If you have to stay under $500 then an Air Avenger would probably be fine.

I have been into air guns for 40 years all mostly high end spring based (HW, AA Theoben etc) and this year dived into PCP with 5 new rifles! (after selling some of the spring guns) and have 2 Krals and 3 FX's. The FX's happened by accident more than design. Sure the FX's are "nicer" and you can configure and upgrade them in many ways but are they are 3x the cost of Kral's nicer or really 3X better than most PCP's in the $400 to $700 range no not really. Below is the SJ, .22 FX Streamline and .25 Dreamline in a special aftermarket stock they all shoot essentially the same.

You'll be fine with the guns available in your price range and if you find you really enjoy nice airguns you can always jump to the "high end" if you want. I would get an air cooled gun compressor from Amazon for filling and that will run close to $400. Good luck!

SJ_AJS.1633578358.jpg
Streamline.1633578380.jpg
FX_DL_CZ.1633578402.jpg