HW/Weihrauch Rebuilt my HW 44 starting leaking.

Had this one for a while and started leaking air. Total rebuild of orings and good to go. Airguns of AZ wanted well over 100 to do this and said you need special tools.... Yea right hold my beer watch this. You just have to dive in. This is one of the things I enjoy with these complex airguns.

QpAkWYo.jpg

pOrvEyZ.jpg

0Kf9PSB.jpg

u384uaq.jpg

zG3wZDm.jpg

DJBb6bf.jpg

There's so little information on the teardown of the HW44 so I find this very interesting. My 44 started leaking at what I assume is the breach seal. I feel air coming from the mag well. I'm only getting about 720fps with an 8.4gn pellet. I had mine apart once about as far as your 4th picture.
Were you able to completely remove the barrel and/or address the breach seal?
AoA quoted me: A full reseal for the HW44 will run you about $200 for labor and about $30 for parts and then shipping on top of that.

Honestly I never tried to remove the barrel. But I am sure I could have if needed. There is a print avab to download and there are a few utube vids on the gun.

If and when this leaks again I will go deeper on the tare down. Was not really that hard.

I just rebuilt the 1st reg (Bottle Reg) on my FX M3 and it was more of a pain esp with the hidden oring that they don't show on there prints. FX needs to get with the program. LOL But it's 100% now...

Some more pics...

8XDcjTG.jpg

PLUoaCA.jpg

I thought maybe this nut needed to be removed but I don't have anything that will reach it :(
That nut looks like part # 31 on the print. As far a my potential air leak at the breach, I see there are 2 o-rings to consider ( parts 28 & 30 ). Using my .22 cal bore scope at the breach ( .22 cal so can't get down my .177 barrel ) I can see o-ring #28 but visually I had no idea there was a 2nd o-ring.
1704922446340.png

Maybe the vice is the way to go....makes me nervous tho !!

I was able to remove the barrel using a vice. Good news is that it came off without too much trouble. Bad news is that there is no breach seal in the barrel. The breach end of the barrel slides into another housing inside the receiver. I suspect the breach seal is in that housing. I haven't been able to figure out how to access this housing. I also noticed that my transfer port seal is bad. The o-ring is torn. Who knows, I may have caused it when removing the air cylinder. 🤷‍♂️ The cutout for the transfer port o-ring is square but the o-ring I pulled out is round. The replacement o-ring I found online somewhere does show a round o-ring so IDK. I can tell my 44's been worked on cuz the seal around the pressure gauge is broken so maybe someone replaced the xfer port seal at some point too and just used what they had.
So, I'm wondering if Weihrauch uses "standard" o-rings or if some of them are custom.
@kendive Where did you get your reseal kit for the 44?

I was able to remove the barrel using a vice. Good news is that it came off without too much trouble. Bad news is that there is no breach seal in the barrel. The breach end of the barrel slides into another housing inside the receiver. I suspect the breach seal is in that housing. I haven't been able to figure out how to access this housing. I also noticed that my transfer port seal is bad. The o-ring is torn. Who knows, I may have caused it when removing the air cylinder. 🤷‍♂️ The cutout for the transfer port o-ring is square but the o-ring I pulled out is round. The replacement o-ring I found online somewhere does show a round o-ring so IDK. I can tell my 44's been worked on cuz the seal around the pressure gauge is broken so maybe someone replaced the xfer port seal at some point too and just used what they had.
So, I'm wondering if Weihrauch uses "standard" o-rings or if some of them are custom.
@kendive Where did you get your reseal kit for the 44?

Hope you get things figured out.

I got the seal kit here.

Reactions: scottg0814
The breach end of the barrel slides into another housing inside the receiver. I suspect the breach seal is in that housing. I haven't been able to figure out how to access this housing. I also noticed that my transfer port seal is bad.
Received my seal kit from ebay, thanks for the link @kendive !! The transfer port has a square-ish cutout for the o-ring. The replacement o-ring in the kit is indeed round but by using the silicon lube that's included in the kit it wasn't too much trouble getting the o-ring to conform to the cutout.
I still haven't figured out how to access the breach seal o-ring.

I'm only getting about 720fps with an 8.4gn pellet.
I re-assembled the pistol and did some chrony testing. Per a previous post I misquoted by saying I was getting 720fps with an 8.4gn pellet. It was actually a 7.33gn pellet.
After replacing the xfer port o-ring I'm now getting 840fps with the 7.33gn pellet. An increase of 120fps!!

This might be more inline with what to expect from the HW44. Anyone have some chrony #'s they can share with their .177 to compare??

I did the tissue test and I don't detect any air escaping. If my chrony #'s are normal then I guess my breach seal must be OK.

Reactions: kendive