• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Reason I got my air rifle

Chucky here burrowed under my back porch. Got a .22 gamo a few weeks ago and yesterday was the first time I had seen him since I got the gun. Shot with h&n terminator 16.36gr.
20210813_183816.1628944590.jpg
20210813_175934.1628944593.jpg

Yep, Groundhogs love to get under decks, porches and sheds.
I do a lot of GH hunting (longer range ). Farmers like me. I was talking to one of my farmer friends and he mentioned that he has lived on his farm since a he was a boy ( more then 40 years). He told me that they have dug up and filled in ground hog holes in some of the fields and they always are repopulated. He wondered how the ground hogs seem to know where the holes are. I have no clue . He said as he pointed to a spot in a field close by that those holes had been there at least forty years. Filled in several times only to be reopened. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts . I find them interesting animals. They seem to be creatures of habit. If you see one at 6:30 Monday evening. Come back Tuesday at the same time you can be pretty certain you will see him out again. 

Yep, Groundhogs love to get under decks, porches and sheds.
I do a lot of GH hunting (longer range ). Farmers like me. I was talking to one of my farmer friends and he mentioned that he has lived on his farm since a he was a boy ( more then 40 years). He told me that they have dug up and filled in ground hog holes in some of the fields and they always are repopulated. He wondered how the ground hogs seem to know where the holes are. I have no clue . He said as he pointed to a spot in a field close by that those holes had been there at least forty years. Filled in several times only to be reopened. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts . I find them interesting animals. They seem to be creatures of habit. If you see one at 6:30 Monday evening. Come back Tuesday at the same time you can be pretty certain you will see him out again.

I started farm hunting groundhogs with my dad in the late 1970’s. I’ve experienced the same thing with them reopening holes for decades. I think it’s pretty simple. They are an animal and their sense of smell is incredible. Those underground burrows reek of groundhog. If you’ve shot a lot of them, you know what they smell like. Little sweat boxes.

Vetmx

sense of smell? That’s more than likely it or at least it’s a very logical explanation.
BUT you have raised another question DO THEY HAVE AN ODOR? I have no idea but I’d like to hear others opinions and experiences. We’re in the midst of the hog hunting season and I get out at least several times a week. I guess the next one I kill I’ll have to do a sniff test and report back. LOL I enjoy being on the farms and I enjoy “watching” for them as much as the shooting challenge. Last evening I was hunting and two young deer hung around the entire time I was hunting. I fired the gun twice and even that seemed not to disturb them. I watched one at about 100 yards thru my binoculars looking right at me and wagging her tail. If it had been a dog I would have said she wants to come to me and say hello. Certainly seemed to know I was no threat to them. It’s a good thing for an old retired guy to be able to do. Got one at about 250 and one at about 175. Looking for longer shots but that’s about the best I can find locally 

The rifle is a gamo swarm whisper .22. It did not come with open sites (which I found strange) but a little crappy scope. I'm pretty sure its a gas nitro piston, not a springer. I've got my eyes on a pcp, still doing research on them. I'd love to get a hw too and wish I did more research before I bought the gamo and I likely would have went with an hw30 or 50.

Great shooting!

Groundhog season is one of my favorite hunting seasons. As mentioned above they do tend to follow a very similar timeline of activities each day.

If you have one that is elusive, consider knocking stone and dirt down the hole. They like to keep their den entrances clear and will spend a good bit of time removing the dirt and stones from the entrance. This gives you a good opportunity to get set up for a perfect shot while they are distracted.

Great shooting!

Groundhog season is one of my favorite hunting seasons. As mentioned above they do tend to follow a very similar timeline of activities each day.

If you have one that is elusive, consider knocking stone and dirt down the hole. They like to keep their den entrances clear and will spend a good bit of time removing the dirt and stones from the entrance. This gives you a good opportunity to get set up for a perfect shot while they are distracted.

I like groundhog season too, because in Ohio, that season is year around!