Rear rest for use with bipod - make vs. buy?

Looking for ideas for a relatively light weight and easy to deploy one piece rear rest for use with my bipod-equipped PCP.

I use the gun mostly for pests from the prone position. I have no need to carry the gun far since it rarely leaves my yard. Given the bipod height needed to clear terrain, the rear rest needs to be about 6" high after any compression.

If any have made your own, please state what was used for cover and filler.

Thanks in advance!

I use this one which should fit your parameters: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VFBSHFC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I put mine on a picatinny riser which extends the height about 3/4” plus the 6” of the monopod.

F4E956B3-22EF-423E-AAB2-A5B3C7F19FE3.1650938567.jpeg

practical to deploy in the field when im after a real douche string im willing to stake out and lay on the ground in a strategic spot for .. what id use is a folded and rolled up medium size towel in a dark brown ..

great idea best thing i have heard in a while , and double duty in hot weather hahaha

I have a few rear monopods made by Accu Shot. K&L with bag rider and also a home made version. Rear monopods can serve a purpose but they work much better with a wide stable base like the Saber Tactical models. Otherwise, you have a tiny point of contact so they can be kind of wobbly. You can hold the monopod in your fist to add stability & some adjustability, which is what many shooters do, for me, not the best option.

I made a rear monopod out of one of my wife’s cutting boards(PVDF) and some K&L parts I had. I cut up the PVDF so that it was 3”x5” at the base, attached it to a titanium rod and used it with the K&L stock. While it was stable from the bench, it was cumbersome anywhere else(I’ll try and find a picture, it wasn’t pretty). Like everyone, I like to try new things, experiment & make stuff but for years, I’ve always found myself going back to a rear bag, almost always! They’re far for stable, quickly adjustable with a squeeze and they’re fairly cheap. I have a monopod on the Delta Wolf & use it occasionally but more often it’s used folded up as a bag rider.

It really all kinds of depends how much height you need, how mobile it has to be, what you want to spend and what you like. I know these are not the exact recommendation you’re looking for but I have used factory mono pods on my PRS rig a lot over the years, made mono pods for our bench guns and always go back to a rear bag when I can, except is rare instance. It’s just so more stable because of the contact area, it’s just so simple & quickly adjustable. On the other hand, turning the screw on the monopod for minor up and down adjustments can be a pain.

If you do decide to go with a rear bag, check out Wiebad, Armageddon Gear or Protektor…These are the best but there are a plethora of them available. They all make a variety of bags to fit your needs…Pillows, pads, fortune cookies, cubes, roll ups, mini, small, medium, large and in every imaginable configuration. If you want to buy something less expensive to start, Amazon has a lot of less expensive bags that do a fine job too. 

When my boys and I shoot from a tripod and have a cumbersome, unsteady shot, we often use a piece of carbon fiber tube that we wedge between the rear of the gun and the tripod for more stability. Combined with a sling or strap, it can be rock solid! You could use some kind of tube or something similar for a rear brace. Something as simple as that might work as a rear support for you in the field. There are lots of options, you just have to get all the information you can and try a few things to see what you like. 

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Stoti

This picture(it’s the only one I had, sorry) shows the K&L monopod with bag rider. I can’t find a picture of the monopod I made with the chunk of cutting board attached. In essence, it was the same as in this picture but with a 3”x5” chunk of cutting board screwed and epoxied onto the rod for more surface area touching the bench.

1B36CEAA-D4A7-42B0-88ED-721D9BCD725A.1650996980.jpeg

These pictures show how we use a carbon tube to stabilize the rear of the airgun when shooting from a tripod. You could use the same concept with a bipod and some kind of brace in the rear.

5E6F23C1-29D8-4E0B-82F9-AC73C97FB41F.1650991473.jpeg
2189A6DE-96F7-4322-BD99-7CCF70A263D2.1650991543.jpeg