Reaming barrel on Umarex Gauntlet 2 .30 Cal

I have the aforementioned rifle, which I very much enjoy shooting. The rifle was manufactured with a glaring shortcoming. The breech will not allow slugs.to be used. When trying to chamber a slug, it will not let you close the breech. If you give a little extra push to close, you now have to dislodge. The stuck slug. Has anyone reamed out the chamber, increasing its depth to allow use of slugs? If so, how and are you happy with results? Thanks

Well i first checked my accuracy with all six brands and weights of pellets so i would know if i mess this up. I first used a wooden dowel with abrasive and a drill so i could be careful, waist of time and effort, ended up using a fresh drill bit followed by wooden dowel and abrasive, now takes pellets and slugs with only a little resistance, changes whole attitude picking it up now, sure wish it would shoot better than 1.5 inch groups at 40 yards, maybe I'll be able to find the right slug now.

Well i first checked my accuracy with all six brands and weights of pellets so i would know if i mess this up. I first used a wooden dowel with abrasive and a drill so i could be careful, waist of time and effort, ended up using a fresh drill bit followed by wooden dowel and abrasive, now takes pellets and slugs with only a little resistance, changes whole attitude picking it up now, sure wish it would shoot better than 1.5 inch groups at 40 yards, maybe I'll be able to find the right slug now.
Yikes, what slugs have you tried?

Maybe later today I'll try a few, one things for sure , don't purchase from youtube vids because they lead you to believe every rifle comes with a card splitting accuracy at 150 yards. All bullpoop.
Nah most of the gunsbget hand selected or pre tuned / preworked guns before it gets to their hands. Gauntlets have been know for this breech issue sinxe gen 1. Sometimes you're lucky and get one that doesn't need it. But I will say give avs slugs a try, the man does make different sizes. Contact him and griffinairguns to see if they know which weight or size would be more beneficial for you.

any kind of lathe would make it super simple ..ive worked a few throats by hand. they generally arnt too touchy on affecting accuracy and i wouldnt hesitate IF and only if you plan on only using the longer slugs ..imo you do want projectiles to seat into the rifling ... but id order me a reamer, in metric likely, of the exact size of the slug, lube it well and carefully and slowly sink it in, keeping it straight .. just dont go too far it will probably cut it fast like butter .. you do want the nose to push into the rifling with some resistance... id roll up a piece of ~ 600 grit and chuck it in the drill when youre close and polish the chamber down past the 'step' created by the reamer to roll the sharp edge off ... better to ease up on it and wash rinse and repeat than go too far ..

Last edited:
any kind of lathe would make it super simple ..ive worked a few throats by hand. they generally arnt too touchy on affecting accuracy and i wouldnt hesitate IF and only if you plan on only using the longer slugs ..imo you do want projectiles to seat into the rifling ... but id order me a reamer, in metric likely, of the exact size of the slug, lube it well and carefully and slowly sink it in, keeping it straight .. just dont go too far it will probably cut it fast like butter .. you do want the nose to push into the rifling with some resistance... id roll up a piece of ~ 600 grit and chuck it in the drill when youre close and polish the chamber down past the 'step' created by the reamer to roll the sharp edge off ... better to ease up on it and wash rinse and repeat than go too far ..
If you dont have any, consider getting some 3m polishing paper. That will leave any surface slicker than slick

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
A little update, tried what i have at 52yards, NSA 54.5 nope, 65.5 nope, 43.8 nope, 49.5 is a winner with two groups of 3 shots , holes touching each other, thank God. Also barrel is very dirty after only 10 shots, so maybe hope once barrel gets broke in.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I have used the 3M polishing cloth with great success in both opening up a breech and also polishing the barrel bore. Be sure to push a slug or two down the bore first to get an idea of how tight it is, and if there are any looser spots in the bore that need to be avoided.
Nice, my first time using was used for a regulator and it definitely helped decrease the spread in fps.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
A little update, tried what i have at 52yards, NSA 54.5 nope, 65.5 nope, 43.8 nope, 49.5 is a winner with two groups of 3 shots , holes touching each other, thank God. Also barrel is very dirty after only 10 shots, so maybe hope once barrel gets broke in.
Good to read! If after a while it keeps getting fouled up bad, you can also polish the barrel. Not too much though a little goes a long.