Realistically…how long can I fill an air tank past it’s life?

i read somewhere that they were trying to get the rules changed for 15y tanks to 30 years ... wouldnt worry about it with no physical irregularities or damage evident ... one factor that may be relevant ive seen, is that if the tank is covered or contained in something you really cant notice anything that might be trying to tell you something ... just an observation ...

I had mine hydro tested in the last year of life and happy to fill those last 5 years.

👆👆👆 that!!! At the last year just hydro test it for like 25 bucks and you will have a piece of mind for a long time to come.

Like @dizzum said if it is in good shape then it has theoretical life of at least double of the published 15 year life. Keep in mind that it’s a conservative estimate and assuming a very abused life as a safety device on the back of fireman jumping in burning buildings. The carbon wrap is design with weak spots so the tanks leak eventually but not burst. BUT I only trust true DOT certified made in US tanks, I would buy used US tanks than new Chinese made tanks with DOT any day. Not to mention used ones are cheaper.

Last edited:
There are extended life tanks that go another 15 yrs. You should be able to get it hydro tested no matter what. No law against hydro testing. Just can't get it filled.

DOT hydro shops will not hydro test tanks pass 15 year life span. You can get it recertified but it would cost about 350 bucks so just get another used tank for that much money. Yes, I asked. 

Puramid wants 500 bucks for a recertified tank, not sure if they are DOT recertified tanks but not sure it’s even worth the trouble and cost, just get a good used surplus for 200-250 and you get solid 10 years out of it with hydro test at last year of its life. 

Try a search here, there was a thread about this a few months ago along with a certifier that can add another 15 years to the tank. I believe that the place was in Texas? I did some searching for it and it led me to an overseas laboratory that does it, but had no listing for the Texas facility. It was an old thread that was brought back from the dead.

mike

The US Navy was responsible for getting the 15year rule put aside, and tanks being able to be re-certified. I read the paper that the Director of Maintenance Engineering (IIRC) submitted. It said that in their study they had NEVER in the millions of SCBA tanks and fillings had a tank fail catastrophically. They will leak pressure or bulge. Yes, the same exact tanks are good for 30 years in Europe. Moisture in a tank would be the most likely cause of one to leak or bulge. Moisture would cause the Aluminum liner to oxidize.

Here's a link.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD