Realistic fifty yard groups

Hello all,

I just spent the day with my new Red Wolf. I tried many different pellets and slugs trying to get a good ten shot group at fifty yards at an outdoor range. It was a little windy but not too bad. I see people posting 1/2" and 1" groups at fifty and one hundred yards but the best I could do was about 1-1/2" at fifty. I was shooting ten shot groups not five but I am wondering if there is something wrong with my gun. Will it get better with age? Did I just not find the right weight to power setting? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Shoot a thousand rounds, then you should KNOW what it's capable of. Should be an adequate primary break-in period. Of all the airguns I've owned (8) only ONE shot 1/2" groups out of the box (Royale 500). All were capable of that kind of grouping after a while but not OOB. Patience & practice are a virtue.(AFTER all the "common sense " stuff is done. i.e. clean barrel, good pellets, chrony if ya got, etc.

Bluecup, I don't know which RW you have, but since you are shooting at 50 yards, I will assume it is a standard power .22. If so, I have the same rifle. Mine shoots the JSB 18 at around 930 fps, a bit hot, but it shoots very well. With everything working right, including good conditions, you should be able to get half-inch groups. I can't say I average that, but if I shoot 10, 5-shot groups, a couple should be half-inch, and the average maybe .75", because flyers will occur. The barrel that came on my rifle absolutely would not shoot, regardless of how I cleaned or polished it. AOA sent me a new barrel that they had tested, and it has been a laser ever since. Of course your first step should be a chrono run, but I bet it will be good. Assuming consistent velocity, it's the barrel. I assume you have cleaned it with a pull-through. Remove the barrel and breech O ring and scrub it good with a brush. If results aren't better, try a JB polishing. If it doesn't come around within a tin of pellets and good barrel maintenance, send it back, it won't get any better. I have personally had two bad barrels in Daystate products within the last year, and have heard of numerous others. I don't know what's going on with them, but if the rifle is shooting consistent velocity, you have to strongly suspect a barrel problem, assuming the problem is with the rifle. 

Hello all,

I just spent the day with my new Red Wolf. I tried many different pellets and slugs trying to get a good ten shot group at fifty yards at an outdoor range. It was a little windy but not too bad. I see people posting 1/2" and 1" groups at fifty and one hundred yards but the best I could do was about 1-1/2" at fifty. I was shooting ten shot groups not five but I am wondering if there is something wrong with my gun. Will it get better with age? Did I just not find the right weight to power setting? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Need more info, power setting, caliber and pellet you're using. Also as most said clean that barrel. They ship pretty dirty and oiled. 

Ken Hicks tuned my RW HP. It will consistently shoot the 1/2” to .75 inch groups at 50 yards with the JSB Monster Redesigned 25.39 on HP at about 910. It also shoots the H&N Baracuda Match pellets at +/- 1” on medium power with usually 5 or 6 pellets of a 10 shot group touching in the core. They two are going out of the barrel at just over 900.

Last week, with the JSBs I had a 3/4” 1” shot group (outside to outside), so your rifle should certainly be capable of better than 1” at 50 yards.

Good luck!

Bluecup, I agree with Vetmx. Even the slightest wind can be detrimental to groups at 50 yds.

I just got my new to me FX 500 today and the weather just wouldn't cooperate. But I had to shoot her anyway. I decided to go with 34 yds because of the wind and like you was checking different pellets. The wind is like a vortex in my backyard when it's blowing. And it was so humid you could slice the air with a knife.

Zeroed it in at 34 yds for now. Wasn't about to try and fight the wind at 50 yds.
So far I think it prefers the regular 25.39 gr JSB brand pellets over the Edgun branded JSB's? Hard to tell in the wind, but they were close?

As for the heavy pellets. Surprisingly it likes the 33.95 gr JSB's? But hated the Edgun MKII brand? Haven't had time to chrony yet.

Oh, on the heavy 33.95 gr pellets. My point of aim was the kz above each group. So they had about a 7/8" drop as compared to the 25.39 gr

1565233587_14668014945d4b91b3107f24.76376076_67918800_2680379795306983_8633341889430421504_o.jpg

Have you got pics of your groups?

Fuss