• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Re-zero after moderator

Normally, how much of a difference is there of the zeroing of a scope when using a moderator and when not using one? Do you always have to readjust? If so, a little bit or a lot?

When using a moderator on my pRod, the accuracy is WAY off. It's ridiculously quiet. I see and hear no signs of clipping, but somev funny business is going on and I don't like it.

One thing for sure is when you hang a moderator off the end of your barrel, you may cause your barrel to "droop" slightly, if for no other reason than the extra weight. This would affect POI.

Also even if no clipping is occurring the pellet may be traveling just a hair closer to one side of the edges of the pathway through the moderator, thereby introducing aerodynamic effects to the pellet's path of travel.

There are more possible reasons, but if the GROUP itself is tight, then just re-zero and leave that moderator on that gun. In fact certain moderators with properly built air stripping devices may even have the opposite effect, that of actually tightening groups.

This is a ridiculously lightweight moderator, no droop should be taken into account. Idk, maybe the threading or something is slightly off and it is actually clipping. It's only a 6" unit, I can visually see that by looking through and down into the barrel. I don't want to contact the seller bc that's just not me unless I'm sure that it's a manufacturing defect. I might bore it out slightly and see what happens.

This is a ridiculously lightweight moderator, no droop should be taken into account. Idk, maybe the threading or something is slightly off and it is actually clipping. It's only a 6" unit, I can visually see that by looking through and down into the barrel. I don't want to contact the seller bc that's just not me unless I'm sure that it's a manufacturing defect. I might bore it out slightly and see what happens.

Does it have metal or synthetic threads? I found that resin threaded silencers can wear more after repeated on/offs.

When I first got my Prod. I found out that when I put the gun away for the night. if I leaned the gun in the corner with pressure on the barrel. The shroud would shift just enough and take a set. Then the next time I shot it the pellets would clip the moderator . I would unscrew the shroud spin the o rings and re install the shroud and all was good. I now literally hang the gun on a coat hook when I put it away. Here is my setup. Neil Clague moderator. And a newly installed second barrel band. 
In short. When putting your Prod away for the night. Don’t rest it on the barrel. Just something to try. 
A19D2F15-1E0E-4FDB-8B1C-D95D0BC12B25.1615388178.jpeg

Does it have metal or synthetic threads? I found that resin threaded silencers can wear more after repeated on/offs.

Metal

Moderators do change the POI even when properly installed and aligned. When properly installed they do not effect accuracy. Further, moderators will attenuate muzzle velocity slightly. This is caused by a slightly reduced pressure differential across the pellet due to the increase in air resistance in FRONT of the pellet caused by the moderator. I see a 40 fps drop in speed with my moderator.

I received moderator and put it on my Maximus today. It helped reduced the noise but it was more than 4” off!!! I shot it before I installed and it was dead on a 25 meters And after I removed it it was near back on - 1/4” high. Is this normal? I didn’t attempt to tune it with it that far off since I have to hand pump. It may have been more than 4” since I was shooting an 8x8 sight and see and it wasn’t hitting paper. I would like quite but that much difference is bound to be affecting velocity.

I received moderator and put it on my Maximus today. It helped reduced the noise but it was more than 4” off!!! I shot it before I installed and it was dead on a 25 meters And after I removed it it was near back on - 1/4” high. Is this normal? I didn’t attempt to tune it with it that far off since I have to hand pump. It may have been more than 4” since I was shooting an 8x8 sight and see and it wasn’t hitting paper. I would like quite but that much difference is bound to be affecting velocity.

It's normal......read my post above. The weight alone of the moderator causes the barrel and shroud to droop. Just adjust your scope for the change. Accuracy is NOT affected.