Re-working synthetic stock

This f-class project got to my hands last week from a very older fella.
The metal parts look and feels promising, but the plastic/composite stock is killing me. I know getting some chassis would be a better option, but I don't want to spend that money on this thing that will be seeing sunlight ones or twice a year.
I would like to remove the old paint layers and refresh the look a little bit more modern and pleasing, maybe air dry ceracoat or hydrodip...
The first problem I am seeing that sanding this part may take a lifetime. What else?

20240428_142816.jpg

Anybody have an experience to share?

I am walking around that old stock for couple days, tinkering.
You are right, no need to remove the old paint completely to bare "fiberglass/plastic", just sand it smooth and eventually patch it up with body repair (two compound) epoxy.
Called a friend of my, he has milling machines, I will visit him maybe end of week to mill couple flats and slots.
My idea to mount a 9-10" long arca rail on bottom and some M-Lok pockets on forend.
If I could make something for mounting "over the barrel bipod" that would be the goal.

I am walking around that old stock for couple days, tinkering.
You are right, no need to remove the old paint completely to bare "fiberglass/plastic", just sand it smooth and eventually patch it up with body repair (two compound) epoxy.
Called a friend of my, he has milling machines, I will visit him maybe end of week to mill couple flats and slots.
My idea to mount a 9-10" long arca rail on bottom and some M-Lok pockets on forend.
If I could make something for mounting "over the barrel bipod" that would be the goal.
Much better plan. I just spent several months stripping and painting my 1960’s kitchen cabinets. Stripping paint is a nasty job, and I was just dealing with latex. On a side note for anyone tackling a latex paint removal, alcohol is a good friend. 99% isopropyl for the wood, and your choice of adult beverage to deal with the labor part.

Started adding fiberglass layers yesterday, and I just made a mistake with a last mix ... it was curing too fast so I added way less activator...now I will need couple days to harden... hopefully...
Today... still sticky on touch.

View attachment 463264
You can apply heat to force it to activate the MEK in the glass. Use a heat gun on low, don't get too close, and keep it moving. If you stay on one spot too long it can actually cause it to soften.