• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Re-introduced to open sights

I’ve been a gun enthusiast all of my life but only for the last 20 years have airguns been an interest of mine. Over that time, I went from custom Crosmans up through owning several Edguns and other higher end PCP’s, always scoped, pretty much passing over springers all together. As time passed, the airgun collection thinned due to lack of use and frankly interest. During a routine eye doctor visit in early 2021, I was told that I would need cataract surgery sooner than later. I was also told that the replacement lenses could be upgraded to where I wouldn’t really need glasses any longer. Well, I’ve worn glasses for about 30 years and over time, the old eyes have worsened and the idea of getting rid of those damn progressive glasses sounded great. With surgery scheduled, I picked up a brand new HW98, mounted a new scope and was ready to use it, but never did. When the second eye was completed, I realized, WOW, I can see. Not only could I see down the entire barrel of the rifle but I could also see the target, all without adjusting my glasses or finding the right place in the glasses to look through. Ending of the story, I sold the HW98 to a forum member, and these beauties make up part of the new collection, WITH OPEN SIGHTS. Nope, not looking back because I can see so good looking straight ahead.

No, it’s nothing compared to Crow’s collection, but gimme some time.

263E7C71-8214-4F8E-9E16-67A4556AF478.1642978243.jpeg

Congrats! I too recently had surgery. I have equipped many of my rifles with Williams peep and Daisy peeps. Also aquired a 10 meter Feinwerkbaugh 603.

My iron sight PCP's are Stoeger XM1, Career 707. I also bought iron sights from New England Airuns that clamp onto scope dovetails. I fitted this to a Daystate CRX. This iron sight will fit any PCP dovetail. Front and rear sights areonly about 14 inches apart BUT I still hit what I'm aiming at.

So much fun to see perfect again.

I'm 76, and had mild cataracts. Not much bother except for bright lights and reflections during the day, especially off oncoming auto windshields and chrome. I was nearsighted, needing glasses for distant vision. I had the cataract surgery, intraocular implants last spring and am now more farsighted, a litttle better than 20/20 and now need glasses for reading. Both before and after I could and can shoot irons quite well, before the rear apeature tended to focus my front sight and target and now the are possibly better. I honestly cannot say that my eyes improved or got worse for shooting purposes. I have had a FWB 124D for years , and somtime back in the late 70's got one of the Beeman blue ribbon scopes and put on it. I took the scope off a little over a year ago and put the Williams peep sight back on it, and was shooting better, and recently got one of the Gehmann adjustable iris for it. and liked it so well went back and got one for my slightly newer FWB 300s.