• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Re-Design FT: Make it easier for MD's

How can we make it easier to hold a Field Target match?

As always there are threads about changing the game, which would inevitably add cost, and time for those of us who host events.

So I ask, from shooters and match directs, how do we make holding matches easier for match directors?

I will start: Come early/stay late to help.

The only other thing we could do other than change to gong or spinner targets is this: complain less. I just got done helping set up for our match tomorrow and I lost exactly 1.5 pounds in sweat. And I'll happily do it again next month, and the month after. The only times that I wanted to just ride into the sunset are when someone whines about something stupid. If you ever walk up to a match director and start a sentence with "I probably shouldn't say anything, but..." just stop. Change whatever you were about to say to "Thanks for putting on the shoot, it was great". Even if you don't mean it. I've been to other shoots and I've said that and didn't mean it. Suggestions for ways to improve are great, crying about other shooters or things outside of our control are good ways to get yourself removed from the email list.

And I'm not advocating we switch to spinners. Having to shoot through a hole is one of the fundamental things about field target. But string management is the hardest part of setting up and taking down a course.

Can you imagine the cheating that would happen with spinners? I know were all in this game for the big prize money and all, but I have witnessed cheaters who say the target fell down and reset strings on standing targets. I always call them and give them what I saw happen, I can tell you that while waiting for my turn to shoot at a normal monthly shoot, I am not paying full attention to every target the other guy is shooting at, and go by the sound and string jump to determine hit or miss. And my old jacked up eyes cant see a target out at 55 yard, without a scope and least 24 mag, so there goes actually seeing it fall. Now at a Grand Prix, or World event, I watch everyone shoot, without fail. Spinners would sure make it easier, but it sure would cause a few arguments along the way. The only way to make the shoots easier for MD's and the few usual helpers who do ALL the work, ALL the time, is for more people to help setting up courses, and take down courses at the end of the shoot. But I can tell you from experience, that the vast majority of the work is done by the loyal few and far too many people will show up for a shoot, then hit the road quickly afterwards. Thats the way it is here in the USA and all over the world. Ive shot many matches overseas, and its the same for them.... BC

Reactions: MilDot
Field Target is labor intensive, no way around it. But we have this insane passion for it and will labor away for even just a couple of shooters. Add in any landscaping and mowing and it’s doubled depending where you are and the time of year. Some courses are also just easier to set up than others too. Over time I think a certain cadence and system develops for each club and MD’s and it works for them. For instance at Boerne oftentimes it’s just easier to set up at 5:30 am and I can’t expect people to be there, let alone deal an uncaffeinated MD. I also think each club has its own unique needs and areas where it could be made easier, not necessarily a universal solution. Large clubs and small clubs are setting up the same number of targets, based winders and stuff sans a few extras so its bodies at that point and the more members or shooters available to be involved usually the better. Others have way more time for setup and they are blessed to have it! There’s always work needed between matches too that shooters are not always cognizant about especially when equipment is limited or aging, so sometimes volunteering could be better served between matches.

Best thing to help MD’s is to show up and shoot as much FT as you can to help keep your club going. When attendance is good the work isn’t really work!