• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Re cutting the crown on an air rifle barrel.

I center the bore up in my lathe then cut an 11 degree crown. I would do my pcp barrel the same way. in a production setting that takes too much time. Most production shops would use a crowning tool with an pilot that fits the bore. In theory it will cut a square crown to the bore and has no setup time. I am surprised FX or whoever makes the liners for them dont use a cutting tool with a pilot. If the bores dimensions are not consistent liner to liner then a cutter and pilot doesnt work as well.
Here you go:

Have you recrowned your liners?
Are you asking me? No I have not recrowned any pcp liners. I have threaded a couple of my pcp barrels like a bsa S10 and re cut the crown during the process. My FX Crown is very accurate and I have not inspected the crown and have no reason to or to re cut since its extremely accurate.

The cutting tool with a pilot can - and most likely will - leave scratch marks inside rifling. Take a high mag jewellery lupe and look yourself.
I wouldnt use a piloted cutter on any of my own builds. Many people do use piloted crowning tools with great success. Have you ever seen what the inside of a barrel looks like after being button rifled? A cutter for crowning a barrel using a pilot if used correctly doesnt come close to what the bore looks like after being button rifled.

I made a bunch of precise live-pilot bushings for my crown chamfering tools that I run with a floating tool holder, but when I actually turn my crowns in the traditional sense, I found that I get minimal burring and exert less material stress by turning in reverse with super sharp carbide upside down in the tool holder. The carbide "shaves" the rifling a lot smoother than it would normally by "chipping" away at the bore material.

6 million ways to skin a cat though lol

Reactions: Seeker
Pellet guns must be more forgiving of their crowns. I’ve seen some ugly crowns shoot pretty well. Now on my slug barrels, my crowns are razor sharp. No chamfering or anything that risks absolute concentricity.
I've seen some pretty poor crowns on PBs do well also. Must just be the balance of two wrongs making a right... Still, that's hard to do intentionally, so the most predictable outcome comes from cutting (or grinding) a fine, uniform crown. I face with a standard cutter, much as shown in the video, but then recess and crown with successive very-light cuts (0.0005" - 0.001") from inside to out with a solid carbide micro boring bar while running the lathe at high speed.

GsT

Reactions: JohnTaylor
This one look ok?

IMG_0339.jpeg

I have Re-Crowned all my barrels and liners.. as I get them.... It is one of the Most Important Part of the Barrel!!!
In the beginning I used to cut my 11° the traditional way, using a sharp carbide boring bar cutter.
Then finish it of with a brass polishing arbor...
crown1.jpg

crown2.jpg

But Now I use a Mason Crown Cutter Setup.
This consists of a Pilot Rod that is Fixed in the Barrel(non-rotating), that also has an integrated swarf brush
20200909_125920.jpg

20200909_1301521.jpg

The 11° Cutting Head. I use 3 serrated Carbide cutters to do the job!
20200909_122237.jpg

Here is the Mason Crown Cutter in action....
Notice the thin threads of swarf it produces.. This what it make the setup Unique!
20200909_122313.jpg

This Crown it produces is precise with a Clean sharp Edge!.. No roll-over edge here..
The only thing left to do is a polishing to make the "Face" pretty!
20200918_162610.jpg

I also use my Mason Crown Cutter on my FX liners....
800mm%2011deg%20crown.jpg

I also turn down the liner at the crown area
20221221_150647.jpg

This so it will pass through the Threaded Liner Lock.
20221221_150815.jpg

So if you have access or have a friend with a decent lathe... Best to have it done Right!
Good Luck.......