Re: Avenger .22 cal

Avenger arriving tomorrow and I have some questions: 

1) I am told PCP's are not hard on scopes like springers, for the time being can I use one of my high power long range scopes? Two I have are a SIG Whiskey 5 and Bushnell Match Pro.

2) What is the preferred method for storing an air gun with respect to air pressure? Some have said just leave it fully pressurized, others recommend at least reducing air pressure. I have come across one thread complaining about air leaks, but no info on how many shots were fired, pressure levels maintained or other useful info. 

3) What maintenance procedures should be practiced for accuracy and longevity? Oil/lubing? Seal replacement? Clean/lube/polish barrel?

4) What will be needed in the way of spare parts so I can have them on hand when needed? Seals? Something else?

5) Shooting .22cal JSB 18.13 pellets at 870fps, how many shots roughly could I expect from various size air tanks? As the nearest filling station will be 150 miles from me, and running an electric pump at my anticipated shooting venues doesn't seem practical or possible. I'm anticipating 50 to 100 shots per session.

6) Is there a need for "barrel break in"? I follow a strict procedure when shooting a new rifle that includes cleaning, shooting, cleaning and shooting until the barrel has been "seasoned". Does that apply to air rifles too?

7) Lastly, any common mistakes new air gunners make or questions that I should have asked?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Avenger arriving tomorrow and I have some questions: 

1) I am told PCP's are not hard on scopes like springers, for the time being can I use one of my high power long range scopes? Two I have are a SIG Whiskey 5 and Bushnell Match Pro.

Any scope you like is fine on pcp. The better the scope the better off you are for accuracy/ease of use.

2) What is the preferred method for storing an air gun with respect to air pressure? Some have said just leave it fully pressurized, others recommend at least reducing air pressure. I have come across one thread complaining about air leaks, but no info on how many shots were fired, pressure levels maintained or other useful info. 

Always keep pressure in your pcp, not doing so could cause the valve to leak when air is applied. If its a leaker, its going to leak with 1500psi, or with 2500psi. A leaker is a leaker. But for long term storage/shipping,, 1/2 max pressure is what Crosman ships with. Key here is, don't let your pcp get empty unless you're degassing working on it.

3) What maintenance procedures should be practiced for accuracy and longevity? Oil/lubing? Seal replacement? Clean/lube/polish barrel?

4) What will be needed in the way of spare parts so I can have them on hand when needed? Seals? Something else?

Clean the barrel, them just shoot. Might want to get a crony to log a baseline of your new rifle. Crony could come in handy if you want to tune it. You could stock up on parts and never need them. I've had pcp's that had 10,000 pellets shot and never needing anything.

5) Shooting .22cal JSB 18.13 pellets at 870fps, how many shots roughly could I expect from various size air tanks? As the nearest filling station will be 150 miles from me, and running an electric pump at my anticipated shooting venues doesn't seem practical or possible. I'm anticipating 50 to 100 shots per session.

Hard to tell, your rifle of choice(in other threads) seems to be a known leaker so you could go thru air fast. At 300 RT miles for a fill up get the largest tank you can afford imo. A cheap Yong Heng might be a good option as they're much cheaper than most DOT scba tanks and if only filling rifle for a few moments should last for quite a while if you're lucky. You could go thru 2 YH for what a good tank cost and still have the cost of a 300 mile tank filling trip when ever you need air. Thats about a full tank of gas per air fill.

6) Is there a need for "barrel break in"? I follow a strict procedure when shooting a new rifle that includes cleaning, shooting, cleaning and shooting until the barrel has been "seasoned". Does that apply to air rifles too?

Sure, not a bad idea for all new guns

7) Lastly, any common mistakes new air gunners make or questions that I should have asked?

Don't double feed

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Good luck, you'll enjoy pcp....

UPDATE: My avenger was a tack driver but as warned on the forum, it leaked. The seller worked with me and was great, ended up sending a new rifle! I was worried the replacement would not be as accurate, boy was I worried for nothing. The new new rifle is even more accurate and I love it. I suggested the seller modify them with new/replacement poppets, but I don't know if he can as a dealer, sure would be nice to get a reliable tack driver, trouble free right out of the box for cheap!

UPDATE: My hand pump took too long to arrive, seller on eBay must have literally used a slow boat from China. I canceled the order and bought a compressor from RL Airguns in Colorado (same place i bought my air rifle). Works great! So far this sport has been a real enjoyable venture and like all shooting sports, a great bunch of guys!