• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RC Shock oil as a pellet lube?

Hi Guys,
Has anyone tried using radio controlled car shock oil as a pellet lube?
I believe it is silicone based so dieseling should not be a problem. There are different weights (viscosity’s) avalible from 20 to 45. I’m thinking the thinnest, 20 might be worth trying.
If you have any experience using it please let me know how it went.
The other option I’m planning on trying is bicycle chain wax.
Pic attached of both.
IMG_7626.jpeg

I just use auto trans fluid and tumble apply it on lightly. Big thing is keeping the lube out of the insides of the skirts.

In the end all a guy can do is read up on what's said and apply it to your stuff and determine what you feel works best for you .
luberag.jpg
( a tad heavy handed in that picture, but fresh rag with lube will be until the lube fully saturated the rag in a few tumbles . The pellets in that were already lubed using a different rag as a example thing )

I personally wouldn’t use an oil on pellets. It just isn’t necessary. I shoot slugs and have barrels that require that oil to shoot consistent up to the point they need cleaned. Silicone oil would create a very unnecessary mess in a barrel shooting pellets. With pellets, if you feel for some reason you must lube, the minimalist approach is the best. My volume shooting pellet guns get the furniture polish on a paper towel in a box tumble treatment. I still haven’t decided if it’s worth it. It might just be the placebo effect.

Reactions: beerthief
WET LUBES mixed with lead Dust EQUALS .... Barrel SLUDGE !!!
Serms you get that in one way or another regardless. Also I don't let my barrels go long without a cleaning . I wet to dry patch clean about 250+/- if needs it or not. Scrub cleaning maybe 2000.. lol

I do think a debur/polish of the lands is benefiting... especially in cheaper guns

If it's silicone, it doesn't dry...ever. A carrier mixed with it will evaporate but the silicone which remains is still a wet lubricant.
Sorry it doesn’t dry. It cures and feels completely dry and I have seen +10fps with slugs and I NEVER clean my barrels. Still shooting single holes at 50yds after 1000’s of rounds.
4D6BD529-A08D-4DCA-B348-B7185C0DAB9F.jpeg

I personally wouldn’t use an oil on pellets. It just isn’t necessary. I shoot slugs and have barrels that require that oil to shoot consistent up to the point they need cleaned. Silicone oil would create a very unnecessary mess in a barrel shooting pellets. With pellets, if you feel for some reason you must lube, the minimalist approach is the best. My volume shooting pellet guns get the furniture polish on a paper towel in a box tumble treatment. I still haven’t decided if it’s worth it. It might just be the placebo effect.
Hi Vet,
A valid point about not really necessary on pellets. If you consider how much of the pellet is actually in contact with the barrel (the bearing surface), I guess it really is a minimal amount of contact.
Slugs (like bullets in powder burners) will be a different story. Especially the heavier for caliber slugs, the bearing surface just gets longer… 🤔