RAW Rapid RAW vs Rapid

i own both RAW and Rapid airguns ( actually the only makes of airguns I currently own) so I am somewhat a fanboy so really love both but each does have some advantages over each other, one of those came out unexpectedly this morning.

The 1000x block has greater volume so is capable of more power, the cocking lever is silky smooth and the mechanical advantage it has while pulling back the hammer help when a stronger hammer spring is used. The Theoben block is smaller and lighter while the cocking bolt seem more deliberate in operation especially in a hunting scenario.

Both guns use the same barrels and mags, there in no difference in either accuracy or consistency between them.

Here is the strange part, all my rapids sound quieter not only muzzle report but also action noise, and regardless of which block was fitted to what stock and with did swap and Change) the rapid feel lighter and better balanced even though the actual weight difference is negligible. As I have said both are equally accurate but it is definitely easier to be accurate with the rapid when shooting off hand unsupported. This wasn’t just my observation but also my shooting buddy. This is something we had both noticed while out hunting together.

What was unexpected was after fiddling about and testing my buddy offered to swap his new RAW for one of my old Rapids 😲 personally I think he is having some sort of mental seizure but I would be stupid not to snap his hand off.😁

So I am one Rapid poorer but one RAW richer, while he has a gun that he feels more comfortable with and can shoot is more accurately.

Out with the old and in with the new

1BD501EF-9279-4703-8503-9666233BED16.jpeg

DA93CEFC-196D-401E-ACC3-A8C381847A95.jpeg

i own both RAW and Rapid airguns ( actually the only makes of airguns I currently own) so I am somewhat a fanboy so really love both but each does have some advantages over each other, one of those came out unexpectedly this morning.

The 1000x block has greater volume so is capable of more power, the cocking lever is silky smooth and the mechanical advantage it has while pulling back the hammer help when a stronger hammer spring is used. The Theoben block is smaller and lighter while the cocking bolt seem more deliberate in operation especially in a hunting scenario.

Both guns use the same barrels and mags, there in no difference in either accuracy or consistency between them.

Here is the strange part, all my rapids sound quieter not only muzzle report but also action noise, and regardless of which block was fitted to what stock and with did swap and Change) the rapid feel lighter and better balanced even though the actual weight difference is negligible. As I have said both are equally accurate but it is definitely easier to be accurate with the rapid when shooting off hand unsupported. This wasn’t just my observation but also my shooting buddy. This is something we had both noticed while out hunting together.

What was unexpected was after fiddling about and testing my buddy offered to swap his new RAW for one of my old Rapids 😲 personally I think he is having some sort of mental seizure but I would be stupid not to snap his hand off.😁

So I am one Rapid poorer but one RAW richer, while he has a gun that he feels more comfortable with and can shoot is more accurately.

Out with the old and in with the new

View attachment 436580

View attachment 436581
My experience is that the tactical version of RAW is not well balanced at all. RAW just reduced the weight by replacing wood stock with tactical stock. The worst part of it is that tactical RAW has become front heavy.

As it is not a well balanced gun in tactical stock, it is difficult to shoot accurately.

However RAW guns with wooden stock are well balanced and I don't feel difficulty achieving accuracy.

However I feel that RAW guns in wood stock are heavier than Rapids. It goes in favour of Rapid in hunting scenarios.

Bhaur

My experience is that the tactical version of RAW is not well balanced at all. RAW just reduced the weight by replacing wood stock with tactical stock. The worst part of it is that tactical RAW has become front heavy.

As it is not a well balanced gun in tactical stock, it is difficult to shoot accurately.

However RAW guns with wooden stock are well balanced and I don't feel difficulty achieving accuracy.

However I feel that RAW guns in wood stock are heavier than Rapids. It goes in favour of Rapid in hunting scenarios.

Bhaur
Yes, the chassis gun is poorly balanced but off a an extended bipod it is supremely stable making an excellent choice as a target gun.

Our testing while shooting off hand was with my RAW in a walnut stock and two different styles of Theoben stocks. In every test it was easier to shoot the rapid regardless of stock, barrel length and bottle capacity As an every day hunting gun,the Theoben MFR is the easiest gun to live with closely followed buy the s-type fitted with a 480cc carbon bottle and 16” barrel Instead of the original 500cc aluminium bottle and 19” barrel. I also gave him one of my compact carbon moderators that decreases muzzle end weight and aids balance feel even further

I still don’t fully understand why two so similar platforms feel totally different to shoot.🤔

Top is my chassis RAW in the chassis with bipod extension and below is my RAW in a walnut stock along with 3 of my (previously 4) rapids

351A3381-A8DB-489D-A192-F84BAFDA882C.jpeg

61FF5B49-E673-49C2-A242-8715BD4F7470.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations to both you and your friend BBoy! It is a win win for both parties involved! Now, you can mod your new RAW to your hearts desire! Both gorgeous in my humble opinion (RAW HMx .22 owner smaller breech here).
Thanks, yes I think the smaller block would be a much closer comparison to the Rapid, the longer block while only marginally heavier also pushes the reg and bottle 25mm further forward, this is possibly the reason why the guns feel different to hold.

Bb

Reactions: mubhaur
Lol ... precisely why I run a 220 cc CF bottle on the Chassis'ed MFR and a 200 cc mini aluminum or 350 CF on the TM-1000.
Makes a world of difference in balance & handling !!!
Yeah I bet it makes a huge difference, I have been struggling to find a uk distributor for smaller cf bottles and those I have found are more expensive than an annual subscription to a weight lifting gym😲

I did find this little fella but I would need to turn up a 12x1mm valve and I really couldn’t be bothered

Bb

D0948F86-4FB4-406A-92AE-1FA36DC653A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
I’ve been trying to get me hand on a mfr action for some time now.
Hi, there is a bit of a misconception of what an MFR action is. Early on Theoben used to have the blocks engraved to signify what gun it was going on (mk1, mk2, mfr, and s-type) however to reduce the parts stock list, all later blocks where engraved with Theoben. So a later block fitted to an mfr stock with an mfr reg will not have MFR on it.

Initially mfr’s came with a shrouded skinny barrel but later versions used a standard 15.8mm barrel that may or may not be shrouded.

Likewise, the original s-type came with a 500cc bottle and 19” barrel but you could choose as an option a 16”screwcut barrel and 400cc, .

In this photo you can see two of myMFR’s one screwcut the other shrouded both bought directly from Theoben

Although the shrouded version is now in a cs 600 stipple stock that cost £250 from Cheshire custom stocks here in the uk

5737154A-39EF-458F-AE88-6D813CE4AA0A.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
Hi, there is a bit of a misconception of what an MFR action is. Early on Theoben used to have the blocks engraved to signify what gun it was going on (mk1, mk2, mfr, and s-type) however to reduce the parts stock list, all later blocks where engraved with Theoben. So a later block fitted to an mfr stock with an mfr reg will not have MFR on it.

Initially mfr’s came with a shrouded skinny barrel but later versions used a standard 15.8mm barrel that may or may not be shrouded.

Likewise, the original s-type came with a 500cc bottle and 19” barrel but you could choose as an option a 16”screwcut barrel and 400cc, .

In this photo you can see two of myMFR’s one screwcut the other shrouded both bought directly from Theoben

Although the shrouded version is now in a cs 600 stipple stock that cost £250 from Cheshire custom stocks here in the uk

View attachment 436873
The very bottom one is the one I want…thanks :)

In all seriousness, I always thought the mk2 was the newest version

The very bottom one is the one I want…thanks :)

In all seriousness, I always thought the mk2 was the newest version
The bottom one is a rapid block with a 180cc tube ( can’t remember what make) that I fitted into a impact air gsx stock, the barrel is shrouded in a 36mm carbon tube, super quiet and like all my rapids and RAW, bonkers accurate 😁

The e evolution of rapids is something like this, R7 rapid, then a 12 shot version , then 17shot. A reg was then fitted and it became a mk 2 so by default the others then were known as mk1. Then came the mfr, theses were all on the older type blocks.
The newer square blocks were then used on the mk2 and mfr and the introduction of the s-type, later mk1’s were made using the newer blocks but not fitted with a reg.
The have been numerous iterations of trigger fitted to both older and newer style block.

Bb

S
Yeah I bet it makes a huge difference, I have been struggling to find a uk distributor for smaller cf bottles and those I have found are more expensive than an annual subscription to a weight lifting gym😲

I did find this little fella but I would need to turn up a 12x1mm valve and I really couldn’t be bothered

Bb

View attachment 436888
Saw one one of those on Urgan II in .177 Yes a nice small bottle indeed.

Reactions: bucketboy