• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

RAW tuning

I'm not sure that RAW rifles are best suited for shooting slugs. Most all RAW barrels are choked and not generally known to shoot slugs well. Tuner to help you out would be to send it to Martin Rutterford who might help you with a custom barrel selection at https://www.airguns-usa.com/
Thx
Dan
I keep hearing that, but mine (25 cal) came with unchoked LW barrel and does very well with 30 grain slugs at 900+ fps and 100 yards. See below. That's actually an H&N slug, not NSA.

IMG_2880.jpeg

Reactions: Ranchibi
Like Ross said above, the HMx LRT line from .22-.25 come with LW NON-choked barrels unless specified by a purchaser from Martin. If you want more easy power, Bhaur here in AGN makes and sells external plenums and valves and SSD's. Contact him for pricing. If your RAW is a .25 cal, the OEM barrel is great with slugs FYI like Ross's above!

Reactions: rsfrid
I'm looking to upgrade my RAW 1000 HM 1000x to shoot 50 yards (31.2gr slugs). I have reached a limit on its power (approximately 700 fps) with hammer and regulator maxed out at 225 bar. Updated mods (hammer, springs, regulator,plenum possibly, needle valve,etc.)
Part or tuner recommendedations are appreciated.
Hey addicted,
I have tuned a friends RAW HM1000x .22 caliber to shoot 28 grain slugs at 975 fps.
This required the regulator to be turned up to about 150 bar ..... with no additional plenum.
You should be able to get 850+ fps from your 31 grain slugs. The gun may be a bit of an air hog, but you should get at least 50-60 shots per fill.

IT IS AN AIR RIFLE .... Your expectations are not realistic.
There is quite simply a major lack of available pressure to do the task your in ignorance thinking is accomplish-able from a relative low pressure shooting platform.
Folks keep PUSHING pushing pushing thinking low pressure can do what HIGH PRESSURE of a gun powder burning gun can do. Were talking 3,000 psi give or take on compressed AIR and 21,000 to 24,000 psi for a .22 RF cartridge burning gun powder. Time to get real !!!!

I have been a 22 benchrest shooter for over a decade and am aware of the differences in power between the two platforms. I purchased the RAW to get into the air rifle sport, shot and tested some pellets with good success but since a heavier projectile will help in the wind ( and I think pellets don't really take full advantage of the barrels twist-IMHO) a slug is a better choice. The limited power does mean there isn't enough power for the slug to fully engage into the rifling as a rimfire slug would.
I am looking to enhance the ease of adjustment (external adjustment for pressure, added air volume, consistency, etc.). The reason I chose a rimfire barrel to try is that I have been trying to obtain another barrel and have been in contact with Martin for around a year but as of our last conversation he hasn't found any barrels he would recommend.
I do go down the rabbit hole alot but I do like pushing the boundaries as it has worked well in my rimfire shooting.
If I can get the rifle to shoot to a consistency that I feel is going to support further testing then ammo would be next hurdle.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I have attempted to shoot slugs in both my RAW .22 and .25, seriously attempted, with much experimentation utilizing several of the slugs discussed regularly on this forum.

I was able to achieve “good groups” +/- 2” at 100 yards but never as consistently tight as with the 25.39 pellets (.22) and the 33.95 pellets (.25).

At this moment in time I have gone totally back to pellets in my pcps, excepting with my Panthera. My rifles are deadly accurate and consistent. It is hard to go against what they were originally purpose built to do.

Admittedly some on this forum have had success making the switch, and congratulations to them! My experience is that a well tuned RAW will put 10 pellets into a challenge coin size group nearly every time, excepting heavy wind days, at 100 yards. I don’t know how one can ask a “pellet” gun to be much better than that.

Some of us have a tendency to look beyond real expectations in our quest to stretch the performance of our airguns. This is coming from an “old guy” who has tested literally tens of thousands of shots using many different pellets and slugs over the last few decades in pretty controlled environments.

Regardless, this sport is all about having fun and sharing our experiences with our airgun peers and friends. Trying different rifles, projectiles, and reg/hammer settings at various distances is a HUGE part of the fun. So “go for it”, as long as you do it safely and are considerate of your neighbors and are ethical with whatever you do.

DZ

I should of mentioned I have already switched barrels to a .22 rimfire.
The RAW HM1000x comes with a non-choked, Polygon barrel which should shoot slugs adequately.
Don't know how changing to a .22 rim-fire barrel will help/hurt. At 50 yards all my RAW barrels: .177, .20, .22 & .25 shoot pellets best.

Have fun trying, but as DZ has mentioned ... I have become weary of trying to get slugs to beat pellets too.
At 100 yards, slugs can be better, but it's still a close call for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barenger
Get yourself an external regulator like the reg man from air tanks plus and eliminate the internal. This will free up a lot of air tube to be used as a plenum.

You can get 850-900 fps with 40gr slugs even with a .160 transfer port by using higher pressure. I suspect your limiting factor is plenum volume. Getting at least 60cc of plenum will help you a lot. Too much plenum and the reg pressure will struggle because it may not reset every shot. Taking the slow fill out of your tether tank will help that.

Mike

I don't shoot slugs, so I'm speaking largely from a perspective of ignorance when it comes to air rifle slugs. However, I do have a lot of experience in loading for metallic cartridge rifles, including casting bullets and experimenting with barrels. It seems to me there are two currently limiting factors in extracting high performance from slugs in air rifles. First, power, just need more, and currently this might require more air pressure than current designs and materials allow. Second is barrel design, more easily remedied. I believe when true "slug guns" are designed, they will not use poly barrels, but traditional cut or hammer forged rifled barrels. The power and lead alloy needs to be a combination that allows consistent obturation of the slug, and sufficient muzzle velocity. If the grooves are deep enough, and the slug not extremely soft, that might require considerably more power than is currently feasible. As these heat and pressure levels increase, the barrel material and thickness will need to be considered, as heat dissipation is not something that air rifles have had to address. From an engineering perspective, this could be an interesting endeavor, but I'm not sure that it will ever result in the kind of power that many folks seem to seek. If it is actively pursued, it is a project that will outlive me, so I think I'll just continue to plink around with pellets.

You don’t need Rimfire power to achieve Rimfire accuracy. The slug will not obturate at all.

I think the op is looking for Rimfire accuracy.

Rimfire power is not a big feat for an air rifle…but it probably won’t get you any closer to Rimfire accuracy. I’m speaking of unlimited class Rimfire BR accuracy….not 10/22 with cci ammo accuracy.

Mike

Reactions: jura1976 and qball
Reactions: Loufish
My RAW HM1000X in .22 cal with 145 bar regulator,
I'm looking to upgrade my RAW 1000 HM 1000x to shoot 50 yards (31.2gr slugs). I have reached a limit on its power (approximately 700 fps) with hammer and regulator maxed out at 225 bar. Updated mods (hammer, springs, regulator,plenum possibly, needle valve,etc.)
Part or tuner recommendedations are appreciated.
My almost completely stock RAW HM1000X .22cal shoots 32.5 gr slugs @920fps with 145 bar regulator, dual hammer springs from the .357 RAW and one of Martin’s small plenum extenders. This combo will shoot .75” group at 100yds and 2” group at 200yds (both are 1 MOA or less). I don’t understand why you cannot do this too.
One point I have discovered is that pellets give me better accuracy at 50yds than slugs do. I believe it is related to velocity and twist rate combination. The Lothar Walther polygonal rifling barrels used in RAW (and many other air rifles) are 1:17.7” twist rate which seems to be perfect for pellets, but maybe a little slow for slugs. I say this because I see that many Target rimfire barrels are from 1:14 to 1:16 twist rates.
Anyways, try to go back to a stock setting of 145bar and get a baseline, and then try a stiffer spring.

My RAW HM1000X in .22 cal with 145 bar regulator,

My almost completely stock RAW HM1000X .22cal shoots 32.5 gr slugs @920fps with 145 bar regulator, dual hammer springs from the .357 RAW and one of Martin’s small plenum extenders. This combo will shoot .75” group at 100yds and 2” group at 200yds (both are 1 MOA or less). I don’t understand why you cannot do this too.
One point I have discovered is that pellets give me better accuracy at 50yds than slugs do. I believe it is related to velocity and twist rate combination. The Lothar Walther polygonal rifling barrels used in RAW (and many other air rifles) are 1:17.7” twist rate which seems to be perfect for pellets, but maybe a little slow for slugs. I say this because I see that many Target rimfire barrels are from 1:14 to 1:16 twist rates.
Anyways, try to go back to a stock setting of 145bar and get a baseline, and then try a stiffer spring.
That .75 is good if not cherry picked but 44's & 50.15 will do that. But 2" at 200 I don't think they stand a chance vs slugs. For a 100 yard shooter I would be happy with 1/2 " but no more than that. I'm doing a RAW .177 project with a .173B-.178G 26-3G @ around 27" . If I can get 5 pellet shots in the teens at 50 I'll be super happy. I'll try small slugs to of course but only for kicks with no high expectations. Reason I went this route is my hope of internal bore consistancy from end to end w/ little to no imperfections might help in accuracy. If going .22 in RAW I would try .215-.220 16 for something different. What group size at 50 are you looking to get.? I don't even shoot groups on mid wind days anymore. Only at steel..
Joe

Last edited:
That .75 is good if not cherry picked but 44's & 50.15 will do that. But 2" at 200 I don't think they stand a chance vs slugs. For a 100 yard shooter I would be happy with 1/2 " but no more than that. I'm doing a RAW .177 project with a .173B-.178G 26-3G @ around 27" . If I can get 10 pellet shots in the teens at 50 I'll be super happy. I'll try small slugs to of course but only for kicks with no high expectations. Reason I went this route is my hope of internal bore consistancy from end to end w/ little to no imperfections might help in accuracy. If going .22 in RAW I would try .215-.220 16 for something different. What group size at 50 are you looking to get.? I don't even shoot groups on mid wind days anymore. Only at steel..
Joe
.75 at 100 and 2” at 200 is with slugs and is repeatable on calm days.