RAW REPORT

I have personal experience with very few triggers. Out of those what I used, the trigger of HW100 is the best. Very easy to lengthen or shorten 1st stage travel. Then if well adjusted there is zero creep and it breaks like a vine glass. 2nd stage pull weight can also be adjusted to very light.

After using my HW100 , initially I couldn't like my RAW trigger. 

I thought I will adjust it and the creep will vanish but after hours and hour of efforts I concluded that the best setting is somewhere near where it came from Martin.

It still has a slight creep.

Over the time I have starting liking this much of creep. In fact when I am pulling trigger and I am in slight creep area, it allows me not to have surprise shot. I slowly pass through the creep and the gun goes off.

I have read somewhere that some shooters like a slight creep, this help increase accuracy and they adjust their best triggers in a way that there could be very slight creep.

But still I think that should be personal choice and the trigger of so costly gun should be good enough that all kind of creep could be removed.

Umair Bhaur 

I too shoot raw and anshutz rifles... my raw is great no doubt.so is my annie so I know what you mean and are coming from.

smh77 I like your honestly in your post... no harm done... us real shooter like to hear honest evaulations.

how do you fell about the ds airwolf trigger compared to the raw or anshutz trigger?

Well, funny you ask about the Daystate trigger. First off, I haven't shot the 'Airwolf' trigger, but I did get a chance to shoot the Red Wolf when I was out in AZ recently. You asked for my personal opinion, so I'll share with you my thoughts (at the expense of riling someone up-who knows...).

Me-I just can't get into the whole 'electronic thing' for triggers (perhaps ironic coming from someone who's working on H-D's Livewire for the past 3 years, LOL). I just didn't like the 'mouse click' feel to it at all-felt more like a keyboard than a trigger to me. I also HATED the fact that I didn't know what the heck was going on when the gun was loaded, but wouldn't shoot-no matter how hard I pulled the trigger-turns out, the trigger 'timed out' on me. Wonderful, just what I need is something else 'timing out' or 'needing a reboot'-argh. Just give me a sweet, crisp mechanical trigger like one of the 10m triggers I listed above and keep electronics to computers, etc.

In short, I cannot deny that the gun was very 'dead' shooting, but would argue it doesn't feel like you're really shooting any more-I simply didn't like it at all. Having said that, there were some impressive groups shot with the gun, and it was indeed very quiet (despite shooting very powerfully).

Full disclaimer: as a cyclist, I also don't like electronic shifting either-so perhaps I'm unfairly biased...

Reactions: Hynzie
Potato Potato Potato shovel pan knuck is what I’m talking about but I can live with my EGC and Deluxe but I mis my shovel potato potato potato is what I’m talking about.

Was out with my youngest son and he was smacking 75 yard 3” steel with his BT65SB Elete QE but he likes the 30 better due to its smooth cocking, other then that my mind is still in check about what I’m going to do maybe.

I just put my .30 cal barrel back on and was shooting spinners with my 12 year old at 100 yards. She freaked me out: I told her I saw a used RAW in the for sale section and (while I couldn't afford it now) I was keeping my eye out for her. She has been 'unbending' on wanting a RAW so she made my heart skip a beat when she told me she really like her brother's new WildCat Mk II for it's size-and actually may want that gun instead! My pocket book immediately sang a chorus of 'hallelujah'...

AS for triggers I love the airwolf trigger.. its amazing for what it is...I have much experience with e triggers but yet the best trigger I have tried on any airgun ive owned or used was on my hw45 .177 pistol! im not kidding it was what dreams are made of. and if I could have one trigger on any air gun it would have been on that one.. the factory must have sent the gods down to work it overall the best trigger ive ever experienced

but a tiny bit of creep can be a good thing.. ifs its short and not gritty....my raw bm500 is like this. im not sure if I like a tinny bit of creep or zero creep?? but a little tiny bit dont hurt but the tiny bit of creep must be just right if that makes sence

I just put my .30 cal barrel back on and was shooting spinners with my 12 year old at 100 yards. She freaked me out: I told her I saw a used RAW in the for sale section and (while I couldn't afford it now) I was keeping my eye out for her. She has been 'unbending' on wanting a RAW so she made my heart skip a beat when she told me she really like her brother's new WildCat Mk II for it's size-and actually may want that gun instead! My pocket book immediately sang a chorus of 'hallelujah'...

so SEAN i have the original version ,wildcat did you get the MK2 or MK2COMPACT curious 

It’s kinda funny how quickly the brain/ motor functions can adjust to change, I was used to Jewel 1.5oz single stage trigger from centerfire days, then I started shooting airguns!, these two stage awesome triggers that everyone thought were great I couldn’t believe how bad they were (How could anyone believe these are good even suitable for friendly comp. let alone official competition!) but now I’ve adjusted... all’s well can’t blame bad scores on my trigger... I still shoot a BR gun w/ a jewel trigger every once and a great while, and I know there are some guys on this forum that know exactly what I’m talking about

Hey Guys,

I kind of have to laugh as it is February all over again.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/raw-report/page/183/

Now don't get me wrong I am always interested in learning more but I just had to laugh at the Deja Vu.

I like the trigger on my .22 that Mark tuned for me, it breaks at 4.7 oz and breaks right at the wall.

If there is anything that I would wish for it would be a slightly lighter first stage so the wall was a little more distinct.

Maybe the ball bearings of the Dawsons or the Chip Smith do that by lowering the friction, only those that have shot them would know.

Here I tried jsb .22 redesigned 25 grain monsters through BSA barrel at 865fps. I shot 10 pellets at 70 yards from inside the car. 

Group seems fine but when I increase the distance the group opens up. 

Conditions were not ideal.

I understand that if I install this BSA barrel in my RAW and shoot same pellets at around 950 fps these might give me better groups at longer ranges. 

Umair Bhaur 
1534217882_15596002995b724e9aec5820.38031795_20180814_075342.jpg

I haven't gone back to read all this thread, but the title caught my eye because I have two RAW rifles. I see the current discussion focuses on triggers. Being a former CF bench rest shooter, I became accustomed to such triggers (Jewell primarily), so the trigger in my RAW rifles were not impressive, although totally suitable for their intended purpose, Both of mine are adjusted for a clean let off in the 6 oz range.I recently bought a Steyr Challenge Hunting rifle. Its name is an enigma to me, as it is really a single shot target rifle in my opinion. I mention it because it has what in my opinion is the best mechanical trigger for position or general target shooting I have ever used. It is a true 2 stage trigger with great adjustments. When I compare it to the RAW trigger, it is really two technologies, old and new. And as you might imagine, they are, respectively, English and Austrian, no surprise there. I have suffered through adjustment sessions with both my RAW rifles to the point of frustration, but I admit, they are both very good at the present settings. The difference is, the Steyr adjustments do exactly what the manual states. With the RAW, I find myself working in the dark, never quite sure of the result of my next adjustment, regardless of manual instructions. Both fine rifles, but for anyone starting today in the precision PCP hobby, I strongly encourage looking at the Steyr offerings. 

I haven't gone back to read all this thread, but the title caught my eye because I have two RAW rifles. I see the current discussion focuses on triggers. Being a former CF bench rest shooter, I became accustomed to such triggers (Jewell primarily), so the trigger in my RAW rifles were not impressive, although totally suitable for their intended purpose, Both of mine are adjusted for a clean let off in the 6 oz range.I recently bought a Steyr Challenge Hunting rifle. Its name is an enigma to me, as it is really a single shot target rifle in my opinion. I mention it because it has what in my opinion is the best mechanical trigger for position or general target shooting I have ever used. It is a true 2 stage trigger with great adjustments. When I compare it to the RAW trigger, it is really two technologies, old and new. And as you might imagine, they are, respectively, English and Austrian, no surprise there. I have suffered through adjustment sessions with both my RAW rifles to the point of frustration, but I admit, they are both very good at the present settings. The difference is, the Steyr adjustments do exactly what the manual states. With the RAW, I find myself working in the dark, never quite sure of the result of my next adjustment, regardless of manual instructions. Both fine rifles, but for anyone starting today in the precision PCP hobby, I strongly encourage looking at the Steyr offerings.

I totally agree on the process of setting the RAW trigger to make it 'pretty good' for use. I also like how you described the difference in trigger mechanism adjustments-that was spot on. Welcome to the 'RAW Report' portion of the forum. What calibers do you currently own?

Sean

Its not trigger weight that I’m talking about-its having a consistent first stage pull, stopping solidly at a wall, increasing pressure (up to trigger release) with absolutely no movement (creep) until the trigger break and has no resistance during the break (it just disappears from your finger as it releases).

This is why I am starting to hate talikg about this on a forum like this-some people who have shot triggers like I’m describing know EXACTLY what I mean while others (who likely haven't) can’t understand what all the fuss is about.

Its NOT about the weight at all. A light trigger that travels while you’re applying pressure is not something I want (at all). To me, that is simply a ‘creepy, light trigger’-no thank you.

I totally agree on the process of setting the RAW trigger to make it 'pretty good' for use. I also like how you described the difference in trigger mechanism adjustments-that was spot on. Welcome to the 'RAW Report' portion of the forum. What calibers do you currently own?

Sean

My rifles are both the HM1000, one each in .177 and .22. 

Here's another way to picture what I want in a trigger-with a different analogy..

Anyone ever see the photos from your friends standing on the observation deck at the Sears Tower (or whatever its called now!) in downtown Chicago? You know: the one where it's nothing but glass between them and a plunge to their death some xxx number of stories below-the view that makes your heart sink as you ponder the terrible fate they would suffer should that glass break? Picture them, standing there, and the glass is infinitely thin-yet its still strong enough to hold their weight because the glass is flawless (for the moment). While they are standing there taliking selfies for Facebook, imagine that someone sneaks in behind them with a hammer and nail, and they tap gently on the glass surface they are standing on-and then suddenly, their world falls out from under them, with no warming at all! That terrible feeling of going from fully supported to immediately being accelerated as 9.81 m/s^2 towards the earth-that awful feeling of being totally support to totally weightless, that horrible 'potential experience' that make one cringe (or at least me) when I see those idiots on the glass skywalk. Yeah THAT one. THAT is the terrible experience I want my trigger finger to experience when breaking a crisp trigger!

Does that description seem to help at all?

Sean

SMH77- shoot a JEWEL trigger if u can!, I’ve owned & shot 3 different ones all 1.5oz single stage, they also all felt exactly the same! ( they are mechanical triggers ) to me the best trigger I’ve owned or used will admit haven’t shot that many others, personally the RAW triggers aren’t that great: to much travel, side play, creep, mushy etc. of course I prefer single stage, now in my earlier post I said I can’t blame poor shooting on the RAWS trigger TRUE, but makes it more difficult to shoot effectively & confidently! This is reinforced every time I shoot my old BR gun again...