• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

raw or thomas..??

Thomas is an awesome peace of genius if they can be set up to deliver the max amount of power you will ever desire. I'm not sure if they can sling heavy projectiles, slugs and pellets fast and accurate because I haven't researched or inquired. The RAW is a very powerful and accurate gun also with the polygonal barrel. I would call both manufacturers and explain your desires and go from there. The FX Impacts are winning like crazy right now in competition and are VERY versatile with many ways to change around the rifle in just seconds to a couple of minutes and likewise the Thomas'. Check out the FX Crown and FX Dreamline also. I love my FX Crown. Bill.

Reactions: AnimalHitman
Both are excellent choices!, ease of barrel changes, cleaning, general maintenance, well thought out platforms ( strong were they need to be! ) for TRUE benchrest... Thomas might be slightly better overall? A lot has to come down to what is the easiest to shoot for your style & discipline? , I personally love the Thomas so easy to shoot in multiple classes!, but don’t own one ( have shot a couple of them, guys that shoot at some of the matches I attend ) just have a hard time with the swing port...?

I think that with the quality of both of these rifles, it comes down to the shooter. I'm biased towards RAW as I own a couple and shoot them a lot. Have only shot a Thomas once at a competition and that's not enough time to get to know it. 

One thing I would say about the versatility of a Thomas. The argument being that even though they are $1,500 more than a RAW, you can shoot all three classes (LV, HV and Open) with the Thomas and not have to buy two or three rifles. While this is true in theory, you're not going to use the same barrel to shoot LV as you are going to shoot HV. I mean, you could, but for one of the classes, you would not have an optimal set up. So, now you've got to buy a different barrel for HV say. And possibly Open class as well. So, when you figure that in, the Thomas rifles may not have such a cost savings advantage as one might think at first glance.

In the end, I think one would be happy, and doing very well, to have and shoot either. 

Chas

thanks you guys. great to hear your opinions and out look on my post. good advice for sure

I think that with the quality of both of these rifles, it comes down to the shooter. I'm biased towards RAW as I own a couple and shoot them a lot. Have only shot a Thomas once at a competition and that's not enough time to get to know it. 

One thing I would say about the versatility of a Thomas. The argument being that even though they are $1,500 more than a RAW, you can shoot all three classes (LV, HV and Open) with the Thomas and not have to buy two or three rifles. While this is true in theory, you're not going to use the same barrel to shoot LV as you are going to shoot HV. I mean, you could, but for one of the classes, you would not have an optimal set up. So, now you've got to buy a different barrel for HV say. And possibly Open class as well. So, when you figure that in, the Thomas rifles may not have such a cost savings advantage as one might think at first glance.

In the end, I think one would be happy, and doing very well, to have and shoot either. 

Chas

CHAS what barrels would a person need for low velocity vrs high velocity and or the different classes... thanks

aa, I'm not an authority on this, but I'll tell you what I know. 

For the Heavy Varmint class (20 fpe max) one of the best barrels seems to be the .177 LW Polygon barrel. It's shoots the JSB Monster (13gr) pellets very well. 

But for Light Varmint (12 fpe max) that same barrel does not shoot the JSB 8.44 gr pellets as well. LW makes a .177 12 groove barrel that shots those pellets well. 

For Open Class (35 fpe max) one usually goes up to a .22 barrel. At least for the 50 yard matches. I sometimes shoot my HV rifle with the LW Polygon barrel in open class at 25 meters if it's not too windy. But for 50 yards (or 25 meters if it's real windy), one is going to be at a disadvantage shooting a .177. So, now another barrel (.22 of some type)

So, this is just what I do. I'd like to hear some of the guys who have been shooting for some time and know the sport well chime in. 

Chas 

2018 Northeast Benchrest Championships

RAW swept 13 of 18 awards, My RAWs has won EBR in Az and RMAC in UT.

1533322849_9635769285b64a6610a6be4.96121448_A997F0D1-590F-4B4D-8D19-CDB6C6FF5D2C.png
1533322849_4603097145b64a661d45ef8.45510601_43622D42-3EC2-4EB4-820A-D5284F3B4E3A.png
1533322850_13733416275b64a662d4a900.88118930_661B66A1-0782-4487-8975-24DBE15D99AB.jpeg
1533322851_9400056155b64a66381d729.00570153_FD12B317-8F35-4C9F-86D9-0FDE6172F407.png
1533322852_4240618955b64a6644003b0.46174835_9CD194AA-2E8B-412B-B75E-B25F0F39AF12.png

Oh!, Chas you sly devil, I just re- read your post where you declare you don’t know who manufactured you “CUT” rifled barrel?, I bet it’s stainless also? Not many out there any more cut rifled!, ( would have to be totally custom because air gun bore is dimensionally different ) I understand though “ if it’s a winner” I wouldn’t divulge that info either!

To me the only issue with RAW is that they are not extending good customer service after their merger with Airforce.

I just wanted a measurement of TP as I am thousands of KM away and cant send my gun in US, the reply is that 

Company policy is that under no circumstances to provide any manufacturing dimensions, tolerances, or vendor information

I am no manufacturer. I am just a user and a tuner.

While when there was some issue with my FX, the CEO of FX called me in just 5 minutes of my sending the e mail.

What a difference in customer service.