• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Raw or Crown.. I'm not sure which to go for

Kind of stuck on what to get. I'm new to airguns. Lots of history with powder. Since I live in Canada, Bullpups are out and I can only get certain guns... not like our neighbours to the south (USA).

I'm looking for .25 calibre.
Some of the jobs for it will be:

Pest control - birds, raccoon, squirrel
Plinking, and perhaps get back into target shooting competitively. I'd rather not limit myself to picking a gun and not be able to do something later

So.. I'm not sure if Raw HM1000 or HM1000x. Both ship to Canada. I'm wondering if the 1000x is a bit much at 60 FPE for birds and plinking?
There is also the FX crown which will be coming in stock soon.

The closest dealer for airguns is :
https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/

Not sure of too many others in Canada

Thank you for helping.

From what I gather from the useful info here, there are a few things to consider.

First, if you are into powder, then the RAW will probably "FEEL" like home since it is very powerful, especially the X and somewhat heavy. The RAW may be on the overkill side for pesting almost anything but coyotes. It will also be louder than the Crown.

Second, I have a Crown. I do have a RAW ordered but it is weeks out. But, I still say there are very few guns as nice as the Crown is to shoot. It is backyard friendly and very accurate. I can stack pellets at 30 yards with it. I can make one ragged hole at 50 yards.

Cost wise - Crown. My Crown laminate is about $600 less than the RAW
Noise - Crown
Accuracy - Pretty close to a tie, but I haven't shot the RAW yet. But you can't get much better than actually stacking pellets.
Looks - Dang that RAW thumbhole laminate stock is beautiful
Power - Raw wins that one, especially the X. But my Crown hits like a hammer. What more do you need for pesting and plinking?

Hope that helps.

Crusher

This is a good thread was gonna ask the same question. I am also looking at getting a Crown or a RAW. I have a friend who shot the RAW and told me you need to go to a shooting range to shoot it.....it is loud and very powerfull. I am going to purchase both of them as I hear nothing but great things about both. I also do own an Impact and gonna buy a 2nd one : ) soon in .177 with a 30 cal barrel kit. It sucks that you cant get a bull pup because the impact is Amazing!!!

However if you only just have a enough for one gun, go with the Crown given its quietness and highly adjustability, hope this helps 

Speaking from experience of owning an FX Boss and many other PCPs (considered ordering a RAW as well), you really can't go wrong with either. As for overall quality/fit and finish, RAW is second to none. That said, FX is right up there as well. Naturally if you go with the RAW you'll be on a waiting list, so that should be taken into consideration. Moreover, I've read about a fair amount of people having issues with their Crowns. I'm not sure if they've all been sorted out at this point, but it's definitely something to consider (if you're willing to go through some headaches and fine tuning).

The Canadian Citizens are governed by people who are anti gun and they lump Air rifles in with military weapons.
here is the law. If you are a US citizen be happy and pray that this type of thinking stays out of the US.

Air guns with both a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 meters per second (500 feet per second) and a muzzle energy greater than 5.7 joules (4.2 foot-pounds) are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code.[4] Usually the manufacturer’s specifications are used to determine the design muzzle velocity and energy. Air rifles that meet these velocity and energy criteria are generally classified as non-restricted firearms; however, some are classified as restricted or prohibited, depending on the exact design of the air rifle. Air pistols are classified as restricted if their barrel is longer than 105 mm or prohibited if their barrel length is 105 mm or less. The lawful possession of these airguns requires that the owner have a valid firearms licence and that the airgun be registered as a firearm.Air guns that meet the Criminal Code definition of a firearm, but that are deemed not to be firearms for certain purposes of the Firearms Act and Criminal Code are those that have a muzzle velocity of less than 152.4 meters per second (500 feet per second) and/or a maximum muzzle energy of 5.7 joules (4.2 foot pounds). Such air guns are exempt from licensing, registration, and other requirements under the Firearms Act, and from penalties set out in the Criminal Code for possessing a firearm without a valid licence or registration certificate. However, they are considered to be firearms under the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime. The simple possession, acquisition and use of these air guns for lawful purposes is regulated by provincial and municipal laws and by-laws. For example, some provinces may have set a minimum age for acquiring such an air gun. These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport, and ship them in a safe and secure manner.[5]Carrying one of these firearms is permitted for those aged 14 or older.Suppressors for all firearms, including airguns, are prohibited in Canada.

Yeah basically it was never in our Bill of Rights as a right to bear arms etc. There's millions of guns in Canada, don't assume there isn't but we are highly regulated when it comes to firearms. This has plus sides too, we have very low gun crime stats and don't need them for home/personal defense as a rule. Agreed though it is ridiculous we can't have bullpup airguns here.

Ridiculous because I can go out and buy this right now with the license I had to get to get my Royale. 

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94870/norinco-type-97-ns-semi-automatic-rifle

Anyways back on track thread.

"Glem.Chally"Yeah basically it was never in our Bill of Rights as a right to bear arms etc. There's millions of guns in Canada, don't assume there isn't but we are highly regulated when it comes to firearms. This has plus sides too, we have very low gun crime stats and don't need them for home/personal defense as a rule. Agreed though it is ridiculous we can't have bullpup airguns here.
Ridiculous because I can go out and buy this right now with the license I had to get to get my Royale. 
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94870/norinco-type-97-ns-semi-automatic-rifle
Anyways back on track thread.

I knew about and understand the Canadian laws on air rifle velocity and such as noted in the post above yours, but I was trying to figure the "bullpups are out" as referenced in Canada as made by the OP. That was the first I had ever heard of that for Canada and was somewhat shocked.

When we got rid of the British we put that in incase they came back. In Canada they wanted to keep the guns to a minimum inorder to retake the country if needed. I had read once that the Japanese decided not to attack mainland US as they believed that behind every tree is an American with a gun. We’re i live I have a license to carry concealed, but I can go to jail if I had a sling shot.

Sorry.. Missed a couple of messages.

​Yes the impact is allowed into Canada. The reason is that we're not allowed to have a separate stock that attaches to a firearm...which is to say that if you can remove the stock and still have a functioning firearm it's prohibited.

​I'm going to wait until completion of shot show prior to making any firm decisions.

​So.. as of today... I have 3 in the running... (all .25cal)

​1. fx crown 
​2. Daystate Wolverine 2 Hi-Lite 
3. FX Royale 500. 

​The crown and the Daystate are the same price. The Royale is about $600 - $800 difference depending on stock options.

​So.. my questions relate around a few questions I can't find answers for from real life users.
​1. What are the differences between the FX crown and Royale 500 *not the 400*
​2. How would the daystate compare with these two? I can read the tech specs.... but do they relate to real world results? 
Ie., similar to daystate MCT vs FX crown video posted earlier.

​Appreciate the help in choosing.

Cheers

Never owned a Daystate but if you like to tinker go with the Crown if you want to just shoot and be able to just change power go with the Royale 500, I like my 500 but wanted something a bit shorter so I went and Traded my 500 .25 cal for a Wildcat .25. There all nice Airguns and on a side note here is a target pic of my new to me RAW HMx .30 at 100 yards with one flyer.
b69a676612a7dfd98b376f59b15420d7.jpg

I own a RAW .30 and as others have said it is incredibly accurate, easily a match for any other airgun out there. MOA is fairly routine, and sub-MOA a real possibility if conditions are good. That said, RAW guns are BIG! And HEAVY! It would not be my choice for a field gun, plinking, etc.

BTW, if you are looking at the 60 FPE .25 RAW then you are looking at the new high-powered version that is made for shooting heavy pellets at high velocity. The standard .25 HMX shoots 25 grain pellets at normal velocity for more typical .25 energy. That gun would be the more direct comparison to the others you mentioned.

I would assume the 60 FPE version would indeed be significantly louder than the regular.