• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

RAW HM100X VS Royale 500 at 97yds

Thanksgiving day was a beautiful day here in SE NM. 75 degrees with little to no wind. I decided to stretch things out a little and shoot my RAW at 97yds. For this session I just used weight sorted 25cal MarkI heavies, a bag on the back and bipod on the front shooting off my cement bench. I had my Sightron SIII set on 20X. My first five shot group was amazing (.67" ctc), The next four groups opened up a little but overall I was pleased with the groups.
5dd31071117a61440308d2f9660eb02a.jpg

For comparison I got my FX Royale out. Same shooting equipment, but the heavies were weight sorted and full length sized. I started out in the center of the target just to make sure I was on paper good (.69ctc) but the group was a little high. Knowing I was on paper well I moved up to the upper left for my second group. First shot was high so I adjusted my scope down and shot five more for a .86". Group 3 a .75" and I'm thinking this is easy. Group 4 went to crap but I think it was partially due to obscure vision of the dot by some weeds, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol. I finished up on group 5 with a 1.0" and I was extremely happy with the correction. If I could omit group four my four dot average would be .825"ctc but you have to take the bad with the good.
755d431430ab977ca6d1703c7ed8b6c0.jpg

So, for the day my Royale was the better shooter but tomorrow who knows!
Jimmy

Thanks guys, yeah I feel lucky to have three good shooters including my Wildcat. Found out something else this evening while playing with sorted and sized pellets. It looks like my RAW will shoot the same full length sized pellets I'm shooting out of my 500. Hopefully going into the chamber all the same size will help a little. It was too windy to really check it out this afternoon.
Jk

wajie316 my 500 was an older model that didn't have the power adjusting wheel or regulator. These models were built with a smaller valve and seat and it also had a smaller air passage between the valve and plenun chamber. I installed the larger, HP valve and opened up the air passage and had previously had a regulator installed in it. Here's a link to the whole valve difference and change over. Some of the photos from the original post were photobucket's so they kind of disappeared.http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/supercharged-my-fx500-royale-thanks-weatherby/
5367caba5730155c5db8936bf154250e.jpg

Hey Doc, There's things about bout guns I like better than the other just little. The FX's stock is a little thinner on the fore end which makes it a little easier to carry and it feels great. The FX feels lighter as well. The stock on the RAW is pretty big on the fore end and very slippery. I make myself pay close attention when carrying it around. The trigger on the RAW is very consistent and smooth, the FX's has a good break but it sometimes sticks after the first stage is taken up and if you decide not to fire you have to push it back forward. It can be tweaked out though. The RAW is built like a tank, very heavy duty. Both side leavers operate very smooth so it's a draw there. Although I shot my best ever 50yd groups with the RAW for what ever reason the FX beat it out at 97yds. Any given day could be different though I'm sure. I've found myself shooting the RAW more, maybe just because it's new and I'm still figuring it out. Doc, it'd be hard parting with the 500 for something else knowing how well it shoots with no guarantees on what a new gun might do.

As far as EBR, I'd really like to go next year, just waiting on a health issue to be resolved and get a green light. Looks like it would be a blast though.
Jimmy

"jking"Thanks guys, yeah I feel lucky to have three good shooters including my Wildcat. Found out something else this evening while playing with sorted and sized pellets. It looks like my RAW will shoot the same full length sized pellets I'm shooting out of my 500. Hopefully going into the chamber all the same size will help a little. It was too windy to really check it out this afternoon.
Jk
Jimmy, can your Wildcat hang with your 500 or RAW at 30 to 50 yds?

Jim, I haven't put quite the effort into the Wildcat as I have the long guns. My Wildcat shoots well, with some common MOA's at 50 but it's just not as comfortable to shoot as the regular stocked guns. I don't think it's as stable and consistent as far as cheek weld and eye placement either. For carrying in a truck to the local dairy it's hard to beat though.
Jimmy