• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

RAW HM100x LRT - .22/.25 Bench Shooting Issues

Hey Guys,

I've been able to shoot 7 of my 12 round clip under 1" at 100 yards, but the other 5 take the overall group to 1.25 - 1.5" (little wind). These are my best groups after shooting at 100 yards now for about 3 months. Hence, I'm trying to sort out the little things holding me back, feeling the gun is more accurate than I am.

- First off, my length of pull is about 2"+ too long for me !!! I'm 5"8" with regular length arms....

How big of a red flag or fundamentally incorrect is this?? 

I really don't want to cut my stock shorter ... is there away around my LOP issue?

I never really noticed this before shooting mostly Springers (which have almost as great LOP), but going out to 100 yards adds a new dimension for me.

RAW HM1000x.1638390117.JPG

You can take the stock butt pad off and replace it with a thin plastic version or something similar. That will make it .75-1.25 inches shorter. Too long a LOP isn’t optimal but not the end of the world, especially from the bench, you can modify your hold to make it work and put a small bag under your elbow. Having the proper length is the best option though and certainly what you want. If you start with the thinner butt pad that might be good enough for you, depending on what you’re willing to do to your gun.

Have you checked your groups when single loading pellets to see if the magazine is part of your possible accuracy problem? If you even have one? Seven shots under an inch at 100yds is very, very good and 1.2-1.5 inches for a 12 shot group is exceptional too. If you can get your length of pull down to where you like it, or modify your shooting position, I’d say you’re good to go. Then just practice, practice, practice.

Stoti

E7B815EC-D745-4B2B-B926-94CF68284682.1638395762.png
I

I prefer to shoot BR from behind the gun. Moving your scope as far rearward as you can and sliding your gun to the back of the bench makes this easy.

You also seem to have the gun kinda high up off the table. That doesn’t look necessary. Removing both wood pieces looks like it would lower you a great deal. Get an adjustable stool if you need to move yourself up or down.

Here is a pic of how I set up my scopes on BR guns. I don’t know if the cutout action block with the barrel mounted in the front and scope behind the cutout will allow this on your gun without temp related poi changes….but I would try it.

Mike 

Everyone will want a little different set up, but first you must be comfortable behind the gun, make sure the gun is stable and doesn’t require major adjustments between shots. I like my gun a little higher so I don’t have to bob my head up and down while I watch the flags. “that’s not my shooting bench it’s my cleaning table.”
99573D5A-4541-4638-B138-E9E347F5816D.1638401083.jpeg
9CAFADDE-5479-45D6-9D4C-E07B28AEE6B6.1638401085.jpeg

E7B815EC-D745-4B2B-B926-94CF68284682.1638395762.png
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3EI

I prefer to shoot BR from behind the gun. Moving your scope as far rearward as you can and sliding your gun to the back of the bench makes this easy.

You also seem to have the gun kinda high up off the table. That doesn’t look necessary. Removing both wood pieces looks like it would lower you a great deal. Get an adjustable stool if you need to move yourself up or down.

Here is a pic of how I set up my scopes on BR guns. I don’t know if the cutout action block with the barrel mounted in the front and scope behind the cutout will allow this on your gun without temp related poi changes….but I would try it.

Mike 

Thanks for responding Mike,

The above pic of my RAW was just a display photo - not how I shoot off the bench. I'm using a 7"-9" bi-pod with the one leather (rear) bag. I usually shoot somewhat behind the gun, but while seeking answers saw a few videos about squaring your shoulder to the gun and placing the butt in the pocket between your chest and arm. In retrospect, this maybe a powder burner fundamental - which doesn't so much apply to PCP airguns?

Also, my current scope (Element Helix) is shorter vs. the one pictured. I have the (EH) moved back about as far as I can go before hitting the scope's Bell and have the front mount all the way rearward, in front of the magazine - to allow insertion.

I don't think I understand what this means ... ?

"I don’t know if the cutout action block with the barrel mounted in the front and scope behind the cutout will allow this on your gun without temp related poi changes….but I would try it."

Kirk

It’s considered bad practice to mount a scope on only the rear portion of an action block that is C shaped. The scope normally bridges the front and rear parts….like you have it currently. 

I don’t know anything about RAW actions…but this is usually avoided on other brands. I would try it anyway. I suspect you will be able to get more comfortable behind the gun. The worst that can happen is that you may have a poi change over a significant temp fluctuation. If that happens….you can just go back.

Mike 

You can take the stock butt pad off and replace it with a thin plastic version or something similar. That will make it .75-1.25 inches shorter. Too long a LOP isn’t optimal but not the end of the world, especially from the bench, you can modify your hold to make it work and put a small bag under your elbow. Having the proper length is the best option though and certainly what you want. If you start with the thinner butt pad that might be good enough for you, depending on what you’re willing to do to your gun.

Have you checked your groups when single loading pellets to see if the magazine is part of your possible accuracy problem? If you even have one? Seven shots under an inch at 100yds is very, very good and 1.2-1.5 inches for a 12 shot group is exceptional too. If you can get your length of pull down to where you like it, or modify your shooting position, I’d say you’re good to go. Then just practice, practice, practice.

Stoti

Thanks for the tips Stoti,

I will likely put a thin plate on the butt to see how it feels and try single loading. I have yet to clean or sort pellets either.

Kirk

Everyone will want a little different set up, but first you must be comfortable behind the gun, make sure the gun is stable and doesn’t require major adjustments between shots. I like my gun a little higher so I don’t have to bob my head up and down while I watch the flags. “that’s not my shooting bench it’s my cleaning table.”
99573D5A-4541-4638-B138-E9E347F5816D.1638401083.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E
9CAFADDE-5479-45D6-9D4C-E07B28AEE6B6.1638401085.jpeg

Nice set-up nomojo65,

I wish I had that space in my backyard instead of going to the gun range. I've got to buy some flags so I can learn to read the wind better.

BD90AE88-817F-4536-AE2B-768854FEF8FD.1638413181.jpeg

I made a 3 inch rail for the front and took off the butt plate . 

This photo shows the butt plate but if have since removed it.

You can shoot this set up total free recoil !

Did you make the entire base or can one be purchased somewhere? That looks cool and secure.

• The one piece rest is from Killough Shooting Sports. One piece rest are the preferred rest in the ARA Rimfire game . 
  • I’m looking at the http://www.randolphmachine.com/index.html Randolph machine rest my self.
  • But I will say I have seen some darn good scores shot off a good bi-pod.
  • Im going to try and shoot off a bi-pod for EBR 75 and 100 yard shooting , I think I could shoot that big target faster going from spot to spot.
  • Get a good solid set up and wind flags and practice as much as possible !