RAW Rapid RAW Hm1000x MPA Rifle

Have been looking at a few different rifles for NRL22 shooting and shooting in general. I have a few I have been looking at and watching some rifles, the Epic Two the Karma Red Panda. But the thought of an American made rifle is intriguing to say the least. That and being as I already have an original Rapid Mkii as well as a Dawson Rapid I figure I could grow the family.

This has me thinking about a 22 rifle to shoot slugs for both hunting and match shooting. That leads me to the first question...will the Hm1000x shoot slugs accurately enough to hold 1 MOA at 100 yards? If you can't hold close to this using it for a match is a waste of time.

The other question are to those that have the MPA chassis. How well do you like it, and how well does it fit the gun?

Last one...when shooting actual NRL22 matches, how do you find the rifle fitting in some of the barricades used?

Thanks guys

I have a chassis HMx in .22 non choked poly barrel and at my tune it shoots the 18gr JSB @ 970fps and NSA 17.5gr @ 950fps and NSA 20.2 @ 920fps. If I do my part, slugs are as accurate as pellets, and have taken ground squirrels out to 120yds with the slugs. That said, my home range is only 20yds and both pellets and slugs have the same accuracy with slugs being way more fickle about eye placement and proper hold than pellets. Luv shooting slugs but they need a precise routine each and every shot or POI moves and it's all on me....😂👍. As far as the AR platform, you can add any butt stock or grip and adjust to your ergonomics.

Reactions: longdog
RAW comes with lw poly barrels, these generally shoot most projectiles well, that said slugs can be very sensitive to velocity, it’s not difficult to adjust the reg pressure and hammer load but it is a bit of a faff.
Worse case scenario, if your barrel doesn’t like slugs then it’s fairly easy to fit an aftermarket barrel/ liner that does.

Because you already own RAPID, Unless you really fancy a change, I would get the RAW as you are already familiar with the way it feels and shoots.

Bb

Well I just talked with Martin and he is sending me over a quote. He said he should be able to get just the rifle minus the stock. He was talking about how the HM1000x will have no issues pushing around a 30 grain slug close to 1000 fps. Would have to adjust the hammer tension as well as the regulator to get speeds high enough that are needed. Being as I have everything needed to adjust and check everything that may be a good option. Then all I would need is the MPA chassis and I can get to testing. Martin said that it could be a week or so to get the rifle built and tuned, but if not tuned it should be quicker. So now just waiting to get the quote from him and will go forward.

I really do like the idea of having an American made rifle, as well as adding to the family of Theoben's

i am a RAW fan and have a few , that being said im thinking your efficiency will be low , guns that shoot slugs with good power and good shot count would probably go to FX , but i would still pick a RAW and just shoot pellets , different valves , maybe Scott "motorhead " can explain better , a few other guys here as well can probably explain much better than i could , "if i could even explain valve differences at all!

Yeah I know the efficiency isn't going to be all that great, but then again that isn't what the gun will be built for. Much like the Panthera I am looking for 20-25 extremely accurate and consistent shots. Stages at a match are typically 12 shots at most, due to most 22lr rifle mags being around that same point. So airing up after a stage isn't an issue, though wasting air isn't needed either as there is no benefit for that either.

That and lets be honest.... it would be something different from the standard Fx rifles that are everywhere. I like different options.

Like I stated above, I have a Theoben that I converted to 22 and with the regulator set low I am getting a TON of shots with the carbon bottle. Then I have a Dawson in .25 that is unregulated and I am getting around 40 shots before speeds drop off. So I have other guns that can be used if I want to blasting all afternoon and not having to worry about air. So there is a balance that can be found to make the rilfes shoot great and use air efficiently as well.

I think you will love it.
Martin did a adjustment on mine to have more power..did some machining and changed the valve and hammer spring.
i asked Martin for another regulator, since i do not have a guage to accurately measure regulator pressures, for when i want to switch back to lighter pellets.
I haven't tried any slugs at 30g at 1000fps, but the rifle will do it ..going to blast a lot of air, so not the most effiecient.
Maybe ask if there is a larger bottle that can be used without making it overly bulky so you can fit through the barricades
Mike

Reactions: woogie_man
Well talked with Martin and he is building me an Hm1000x in 22. Will have more information when I get the rifle
Congratulations! Hope it does what you need/want! If you need power upgrades, Bhaur builds inline and drop down plenums and other power mod accessories FYI and Motorhead also.

but i would still pick a RAW and just shoot pellets , different valves , maybe Scott "motorhead " can explain better , a few other guys here as well can probably explain much better than i could , "if i could even explain valve differences at all!
There is nothing inherently bad about the original valve but they can be made a lot better particularly if you are after monster power or increased shot count.

firstly you can improve the flow of air through the valve simply by removing the sharp edges where the front transfer port transitions into the top port.

The valve stem has a Dia of 4.75mm and is fitted with an o ring to form a seal, making a new valve with a smaller Dia stem that doesn’t have an o ring. The benefits are, less mass so the hammers doesn’t have to hit it as hard to open it. No oring to cause drag within the valve body and being that the Dia is smaller, the air has less area for the air to push on when the valve opens. The net result is either more power for same hammer load or same power for less hammer load.

You can further improve this design by extending the valve stem out of the valve cap to atmosphere, (check out Bhaur’s valves) this reduces hammer load even more.

Making the top hat (poppet) from peek rather than acetal reduces stiction, improving efficiency.

There are other valve options but I have no experience with those.

Bb

20240318_145348.jpg
20240318_145447.jpg
20240318_145601.jpg

Chassis is in hand, and man is it solid! The original Rapid will fit if I were to remove the safety. The Dawson won't fit due to the bottom fill adapter. So that means I have to wait for Martin to call, though I have been playing with the chassis anyway.

Hopefully another week or so I am hoping before I get the Hm1000x. Should be one heck of a gun!

what trigger has your rapid got? No blanking plug in the bottom?

Bb
The Theoben has the original trigger unit with the dingle berry safety in front of the trigger. I could remove it if I really wanted to, but I don't want to honestly. The Dawson has the benchrest ball bearing trigger and I am not going to start swapping things around with that rifle.

There is no blanking plug on the Dawson due to the fill port being there. That and the chassis is set up for the "V" style adapter for the fill port and gauge.

Over all the stock weighs in at around 9 lbs! I am guessing the rifle itself should weigh around 8 or so pounds. So that will give me a bit of weight to play with and get the rifle balanced correctly. The forend of the chassis is MASSIVE! There is an arca rail on the bottom side and it looks goofy small. Once I get the rifle in house I can go over all of the chassis features and the rifle as well.

Right now though for the price I can say the $1,100 price is a fair price for the chassis. Very well made and feels great in the hand.

Reactions: bucketboy
View attachment 446794View attachment 446795View attachment 446796

Chassis is in hand, and man is it solid! The original Rapid will fit if I were to remove the safety. The Dawson won't fit due to the bottom fill adapter. So that means I have to wait for Martin to call, though I have been playing with the chassis anyway.

Hopefully another week or so I am hoping before I get the Hm1000x. Should be one heck of a gun!
Freaking daisy cutters that is NICE! Woo Hoo! Your HMx will look absolutely divine in that Chassis! 🤗

Reactions: woogie_man