• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid RAW HM 1000 vs HM 1000X?

The X is a HP rifle, larger plenum, longer action, etc. As with many things, the US market demands the biggest, fastest, most powerful of everything. Which is a shame, as we are getting further away from our air rifle roots. Or maybe I'm just an old fart who refuses to join the crowd, could be. Each to their own.

We have not finalized the configuration, only a basic concept.

I want a stock like what you would find on a centerfire benchrest rifle. Something like the one in my avatar. A RAW XX 1000 seems to of a form factor amenable to that configuration.

Fairfield OH is close enough to shoot at regularly. They shoot a 100 yard outdoor benchrest match and 30 cal seems to be the preferred caliber. Martin recommended the HM version as better capable of handling 30 cal.

The new "X" version might be a good choice. I need to do a little more research to be sure that the "X" version or caliber I chose would not DQ the rifle from other BR matches I might like to try. For example, Fairfield is going to add N50 this year.

Reactions: Treks
We have not finalized the configuration, only a basic concept.

I want a stock like what you would find on a centerfire benchrest rifle. Something like the one in my avatar. A RAW XX 1000 seems to of a form factor amenable to that configuration.

Fairfield OH is close enough to shoot at regularly. They shoot a 100 yard outdoor benchrest match and 30 cal seems to be the preferred caliber. Martin recommended the HM version as better capable of handling 30 cal.

The new "X" version might be a good choice. I need to do a little more research to be sure that the "X" version or caliber I chose would not DQ the rifle from other BR matches I might like to try. For example, Fairfield is going to add N50 this year.

Steve

Here are some considerations/ observations in choosing your caliber.

I have had a RAW HM1000x .22 HP for years built by Martin. Excellent BR rifle, and I shoot mostly N50 bench rest but it will also shoot pretty well at 100y on low wind days. Bear in mind also that new JSB pellets are coming soon after shot show, and the new JSB 25.39 deep cavity may shoot better than the older JSB 25.39 shallow cavity pellets. Also, there is a brand new 28g Grand JSB pellet. Ask Martin about his thoughts on these.

Think carefully about the caliber you will use the most for your Benchrest needs. As an example, if you know/think you are going to shoot 25m or N50 most of the time, I would urge using a .22 caliber platform Contrastly, if you are going to predominantly use the new RAW for 100Y Benchrest, then either the .25 or .30 caliber will probably be better.

Martin will guide you, and you can always convert back and forth between calibers. I have had both the .22 cal and the .30 cal barrels and probes, and I went back from .30 to .22 because it was more accurate for me. Plus, I used it 90% of the time for 50y.

Last edited:
Thank you @tommyb Very helpful.

Although switching barrels is possible, I don't think it is something I would want do on a regular basis. Fairfield is planning to add N50 this year but I have other shooting (IHMSA) that I do also so I probably would not do both (100 yd and N50) on a regular basis, although I don't rule that out. It would be one or the other initially. I would give N50 a try but do it with the 30 cal.

I talked to Martin yesterday and firmed up the order. He is expecting to have it ready by March. HM 1000x in a traditional BR stock.

Now I am searching for a rest. I want one that I can use for CF BR also so it needs to comply with NBRSA and IBS rules.