• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid RAW airguns = low quality?

I purchased my 25 cal chassis model about a month ago directly for the folks in Minor Hill, TN (Airguns-USA). Everyone I talked to, or corresponded with by email was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous. Even Martin responded to one of my questions. I am so happy I made the decision to go with them. I am also extremely pleased with the quality of the rifle and it is crazy accurate.

Two of the best purchases ever for me. A Rapid .20 and Raw .30 with 19xx ser. Both leftys and touched by Az for Nat fart quietness. Triggers to dream about, quite and did I mention accuracy.

20230322_125156.jpg

20230322_125210.jpg

Here are some pics of mine with mods. This is a charging handle I made. It is a piece of machined aluminum and bolted to the handle.
I cut the notch so it would not rotate. Works real well.
Handle.jpg

I got the order of the pictures mixed up, but this is the end of the barrel with a 0db suppressor.
20230807_135401.jpg

I had a buddy at the gun shop machine the barrel to accept the suppressor.
BarrelEnd.jpg

I ordered a tube of carbon from Amazon to slide over the barrel - looks only, but if I glued it down, it may help stabilize the barrel. not sure.
Suppressor01.jpg

This is about a full magazine at 50 yards. I'm sure that one flyer was me not paying attention. (Or and FX got mixed in with my JSB's!!!)
Target.jpg

Hey mubhaur,
Why did you install BSA barrels on your two (pre-AF) RAW's?
You must have seen some issues even back then with the LW Poly non-choked barrels - Right?

The old stocks were more robust - for sure, butt pad was aluminum instead of plastic, the hammer & probe had adjustable tips.
While the beefier stocks were nice, they were heavy - the addition of (AF) "Frankenstein" Cigar Moderator was a disaster for RAW.

All in all (IMO) - RAW's are the best they've been right now -> since AF took over (y) .

I think back in the day Martin may of had more time with each gun.
No.
The accuracy on my pre Airforce RAW were top notch.
I had a BSA barrel on my Royal 400 .22 and I found that BSA barrel profile provides some extra benefits.

That is why I installed BSA barrels on my RAW guns.

Yes I do not use old suppressors. I made my own suppressors for my RAW.

BHAUR

received_645321359707197.jpeg

Last edited:
No.
The accuracy on my pre Airforce RAW were top notch.
I had a BSA barrel on my Royal 400 .22 and I found that BSA barrel profile provides some extra benefits.

That is why I installed BSA barrels on my RAW guns.

Yes I do not use old suppressors. I made my own suppressors for my RAW.

BHAUR

View attachment 379049
Mubhaur,
Do you prefer a choked barrel?
Or was it the hammer forged rifling?
Thanks .... Kirk

Mubhaur,
Do you prefer a choked barrel?
Or was it the hammer forged rifling?
Thanks .... Kirk
In fact I really don't know the secret but it can be
Rifling profile
Gradual choke created during forging
Twist rate

But I find that BSA barrels are accurate with much wider variety of pellets as well as slugs.

BSA barrels are not as uniform from inside as are LW but on the range I see that BSA sometimes goes neck and neck with LW and sometimes exceeds the accuracy of LW.

I am not against LW barrels at all. Specifically the LW polygonal barrels which came with RAW guns are extremely accurate.

Bhaur

Question, how does the moderator attach to the end of the new RAW barrel? Clamp or thread?
The newest RAW barrels have a 1/2" threaded adapter epoxied on the end of the LW barrel.

The one I bought a few months ago; I heated the adapter up with a torch and removed .... added my own moderator.
I don't like the abrupt lines of the DonnyFLo moderator "or the like" when attached to any barrel ......... that's just MO (y)

RAW 3 - Blue.jpg

I think you can order a New RAW anyway U want to from Martin - he makes a moderator that's all black w/CF tube.

The newest RAW barrels have a 1/2" threaded adapter epoxied on the end of the LW barrel.

The one I bought a few months ago; I heated the adapter up with a torch and removed .... added my own moderator.
I don't like the abrupt lines of the DonnyFLo moderator "or the like" when attached to any barrel ......... that's just MO (y)

View attachment 379331

I think you can order a New RAW anyway U want to from Martin - he makes a moderator that's all black w/CF tube.
i had to tear all my shroud off and re do it with a tip from best fittings , mine had a droop moderator 😒

Reactions: cavedweller
I have an acquaintance that I used to shoot with at our range. He shot for two hours each and every morning and afternoon. He shot precisely the same distance as well. His shots were perfect, I can't remember his not being hole on hole . . . every time. He was after a championship at the Nationals in airgunning. Several times he saw my curiosity and offered to allow me to take a shot with his set-up. I always refused, not wanting to mess up his carefully maintained rifle and set-up. Then, one day I took a shot . . . bull's eye! I then took 2 more shots. Hole on hole. I refused to shoot any further, afraid to embarrass myself. I asked him about his rifle, he explained that it was a special order RAW, made in Tennessee. The following year he moved away. Oscar, if you're reading this, I've learned a lot about airgunning over these few years since you left. . . your concentration and diligence taught me a lot and now I'm drooling over a RAW. Thank you. Orv.

I have two .177 RAW TM1000’s that I bought here on AGN classifieds, I sent both of them to motorhead for his special magic modifications and they shoot spectacular! I don’t care for the heavy RAW stocks but…. Stocks are like socks - change em!
View attachment 381957View attachment 381958
Both GORGEOUS..🤗 The Chassis stock was incognito as I haven't seen one on a tube version....VERY COOL!

Both GORGEOUS..🤗 The Chassis stock was incognito as I haven't seen one on a tube version....VERY COOL!
Both Raws are set to shoot 13.4 or 10.34 jsb’s sub 20 for HFT and both rock the exact same Hawke scope so both use the same StrelokPro dope and both are verified yard by yard from 9 yards to 62 yards and are literally fly swatters!
71363980273__B0AF1A43-B0F2-4873-BA7F-5C5592CA6E05.jpeg

Both Raws are set to shoot 13.4 or 10.34 jsb’s sub 20 for HFT and both rock the exact same Hawke scope so both use the same StrelokPro dope and both are verified yard by yard from 9 yards to 62 yards and are literally fly swatters!
View attachment 382077
Very nice! Smart to use the same scopes for Ballistic app purposes. I bet the accuracy is very fun! Very cool fly target!