• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid RAW airguns = low quality?

If you have been into Airguns as long as I have then you will have heard the same things. That “RAW Airguns aren’t as good as they used to be.” I have no idea who or where this started, but is it true? Let’s find out….

RAW Airgun QUALITY? | Airgun Advisor |
i remember someone saying that here some ware , and i believe motorhead and someone else saying thats not the case ,

Sure isn’t the case with my HM1000x 22 caliber chassis model. I am extremely pleased with it right out of the box, no adjustments made.
Yup ... I work with lots of original THEOBEN, Original RAW as well Current RAW. The QUALITY of the product has not changed IMO.
While small design / manufacturing spec of some parts do change with time & where / how manufactured, the bottom line remains that the Modern RAW ( Rapid Air Werks ) still remain a Very very solid & reliable product !!!
If the conversation goes in the direction of accuracy ... A barrel issue which is outside the QC of RAW, but falls upon the barrel manufacturers ( Namely LW )

No I did not watch Video ... did not feel the need being I know what i see & work with regularly :D

Yes, very happy with my 3 RAW's - beautiful guns.

I agree the newer cocking handle and removal of the cigar moderator is a good thing.

RAW 3 - Blue.jpg

Same building , same machines, same people and same QC. As mentioned small changes "Please note: All new rifles come as standard with Wide magazines for longer ammo, 22 MOA machined into the Picatinny mounting and enlarged plenum space internally for added volume, these have been standard features for over 3 years, you do not need to ask for those items, also every New rifle has the drop down speed lever." https://www.airguns-usa.com/index.php/used-rifles

John

I found the old ones a bit better than new ones in QC and overall build quality.

Sometimes there are some accuracy issues now. Previously Martin used to test each barrel at long range.

I don't know if it is done now or not.

Bhaur
Martin says all tested @ 100 & this a just a couple weeks ago.

I'm sorry I sold my RAWs and got into these FX plumbers nightmares. If I live long enough, my next rifle will be a RAW. Good, solid, durable, reliable, accurate rifles with the absolute best trigger in the business. And it's a bargain at that because you won't be tempted to buy hundreds of dollars worth of parts and barrels to "upgrade" it. Furthermore, you get a capable rifle right out of the box so you just have to sharpen your marksmanship skills rather than spending your time twiddling every screw and knob on the gun.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I sold my RAWs and got into these FX plumbers nightmares. If I live long enough, my next rifle will be a RAW. Good, solid, durable, reliable, accurate rifles with the absolute best trigger in the business. And it's a bargain at that because you won't be tempted to buy hundreds of dollars worth of parts and barrels to "upgrade" it.
Yep. FX has exploited the US combination of relatively high discretionary spending, and an endless lust for power and gadgets. The old Boss/Royale platform rivals the RAW in its simplicity, accuracy, and ease of maintenance, but the quality and durability of the internals do not approach the RAW. And as mentioned, the RAW has a real trigger assembly that can be effectively tuned. Every time I shoot my RAW I appreciate it even more.

I found the old ones a bit better than new ones in QC and overall build quality.
Sometimes there are some accuracy issues now. Previously Martin used to test each barrel at long range.
I don't know if it is done now or not.

Bhaur
Hey mubhaur,
Why did you install BSA barrels on your two (pre-AF) RAW's?
You must have seen some issues even back then with the LW Poly non-choked barrels - Right?

The old stocks were more robust - for sure, butt pad was aluminum instead of plastic, the hammer & probe had adjustable tips.
While the beefier stocks were nice, they were heavy - the addition of (AF) "Frankenstein" Cigar Moderator was a disaster for RAW.

All in all (IMO) - RAW's are the best they've been right now -> since AF took over (y) .

I think back in the day Martin may of had more time with each gun.

Last edited:
I have two a .30 and a .22 both about a year old now. I can’t say about pre Air Force but mine can shoot better than I can. Here’s an 11 shot group at 40 yards with my .30

View attachment 378822
Zach, phenomenal group! Doesn't matter pre or after, Martin still builds/tests and tunes each one...he amazes me how he makes sure each gun works and each mounted barrel performs to his standards which are higher than most! Plus he really cares about each build and you can speak with him directly about your gun or any questions, cannot get that from any other manufacturer besides Thomas or AAA that I know of. Each RAW is really a custom built PCP to the highest of standards.....