• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid RAW .22 CUT BARREL slug accuracy

I was thinking of testing Knockout 0.216 dia slugs in unchecked cut barrel of my BM500X .22 after installing the barrel on my HM1000X for many days.

This is because my HM1000X is highly modified for power, tuning capabilities and consistency.

The twist rate of cut barrel is somewhere around 1:27" to 1:30".

Here are the pics of my HM1000X with cut barrel.

20240516_185238.jpg
20240516_185244.jpg
20240516_185302.jpg

Initially I zeroed the gun in my house using JSB Knockout 25 grain slugs at around 950fps.

My gun is capable of shooting the same slugs at around 1000 fps at 150 regulator pressure.

Following is 10 shots group of Knockout slugs at 24 yards where I sighted in the gun.

20240516_182153.jpg

Then I moved to the boundary wall of my society. It is around 85 yards. Pic below.

20240516_184349.jpg

I shot a 12 shot group from inside the car with same slugs at 950fps. Gun was not very stable and wind was around 14km.

Following is 12 shot group at 85 yards on pre cast wall from inside the car.

20240516_184143.jpg

There is one flyer. I don't know whether it's my fault, slug fault or the gun needs tuning.

Anyhow I am positively surprised that during this casual shooting, the unchoked cut barrel performed well with slugs even with slow twist rate.

Bhaur

Last edited:
Very Nice results Mubhaur
I have the barrel similar to yours- cut-rifle bull barrel, non choked
I had tried with the larger diameter slugs, but had fair results. I have not tried any .216...may have to look at it
I have not slugged my barrel
I did have some nice results with the FX Hybrids. shot a few sub moa at 100 yards -more than a few flyers
How many flyers did you have with the the JSB's? ...was it more than just the one photographed?
I look forward to more of your tests
Mike

Reactions: woogie_man
I did a lot of testing with .22 slugs about a year ago. I bought all that were available and tested them at 100yds from my RAW HM1000X with a Kinetic Security Solutions tuner and Impulse Air moderator. Other than these changes, the gun has all factory parts in it. My best results and my slug of choice is the Altaros ATP Smooth 32.3gr for LW barrels @910fps with 175bar reg. This was at 100yds with swirling 5-10pmh winds.

IMG_9298.jpeg

Very Nice results Mubhaur
I have the barrel similar to yours- cut-rifle bull barrel, non choked
I had tried with the larger diameter slugs, but had fair results. I have not tried any .216...may have to look at it
I have not slugged my barrel
I did have some nice results with the FX Hybrids. shot a few sub moa at 100 yards -more than a few flyers
How many flyers did you have with the the JSB's? ...was it more than just the one photographed?
I look forward to more of your tests
Mike
It is one group. I shall test more as I get time.

There is one flyer in the group.

Reactions: woogie_man
Here are the results of 2 hours of shooting at the range today. The shooting tubes are indoors, a local underground range that is 2 blocks from my work. It was a moist 68* and rainy outside, so that made the range a bit chilly but mostly dry. I started shooting at 25 yards to make sure things were working ok since I added the plenum extension, and having had to disassemble the rifle and bend the inner probe back. After I made sure things were shooting ok I started with the testing.

Each group is 5 shots, unless the chronograph didn't pick up 5 shots and I shot more to get a consistent numbers. Where you are seeing the +1 turn and then just +1 etc this is the hammer spring adjuster on the rear. I marked the adjuster just like I showed when I was playing with the AAA HPS30. This helps in keeping things consistent and easy to index. I REALLY wish companies would add hash marks around the outside of the adjuster to help in tuning. Would be a great little addition that wouldn't add to much to the overall cost of the rifle.

I was doing rough adjustments on the rifle to see what I was able to accomplish. The 25 grain range of slugs shot great and I could feel a difference in the shot cycle when shooting. There didn't seem to be as much stress on the rifle and the valving sounded smoother while cycling. I did shoot some 30 and 34 grain Javelin V2 slugs just to see what speeds I can get. I was able to get close to 900 fps with the 34 grain slugs and there was still more hammer tension I could add. Now I didn't adjust the regulator as I didn't have any of my equipment to adjust and don't want to adjust just yet. Saying that the felt recoil was quite a bit more when going with the 34 grain slugs. You could really feel these slugs when shooting and I was honestly shocked. I have no doubt that the gun will shoot them but the effect it will have on the shot count is unknown at this point.

Speaking of shot count........ The rifle fills to a max of 250 bar. I was able to shoot 2 targets, so 10 shots with only 10 bar of pressure lost. I am looking at getting a digital gauge for the rifle so I can see exactly what the efficiency of the rifle is. But being as my main focus is to use this rifle for NRL22 matches, having 12 full powered shots I am ok with the shot count at this point.

Over all I am looking at the Corbin .218 X Hollow Point, this is one of their newer products, and they were shooting shockingly good. At the end of the session I was shooting from 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards at a new bull for each distance. And you can see the dispersion but it was consistent and I can't wait to get the gun out and hopefully shooting a few gophers and bunnies with it. My shooting buddy and I have been talking with Corbin and will be working on getting videos and pictures while using them ;) The other slugs I am going to play more with are the H&N Slug HP that are 25 grains as well as the JSB KnockOut in the 25.39 grains, both in the .217 size. This is what kind of confused me and frustrated me..... is the rifle was shooting both of these sizes very well!

I did start the 50 yard page with just a naked barrel. There was the adapter for the DonnyFL Ryu quick release adapter on the end, but no muzzle break or anything like that. I wanted to see what the rifle would do with a bare barrel and then add a moderator or muzzle break to see, if any, difference these will have on the groups. I do have a DonnyFL Ryu and Yokozuna, and Impulse Air 1350, a muzzle break that I purchased from South Africa, and a tunable muzzle break from Eagle Vision. I will get a group picture of them all so we can all see what is going on.

Over all I left the range with one heck of a headache, and ready to get home and shower. Being as I went from my job right to the range I was gross and slimy from a rough day at work. One thing I did notice is that the H&N slugs I had previously had, and finished off at the range, had a weird waxy lubricant on them. But the tin I opened up during this shooting session the slugs looked clean and didn't have that waxy looking appearance to them? I am also debating on trying some of the JSB KnockOuts in the V2. Not sure there will be any difference between the flat walled V1 and the flared base of the V2.

20240521_165125.jpg
20240521_165131.jpg

Here are the results of 2 hours of shooting at the range today. The shooting tubes are indoors, a local underground range that is 2 blocks from my work. It was a moist 68* and rainy outside, so that made the range a bit chilly but mostly dry. I started shooting at 25 yards to make sure things were working ok since I added the plenum extension, and having had to disassemble the rifle and bend the inner probe back. After I made sure things were shooting ok I started with the testing.

Each group is 5 shots, unless the chronograph didn't pick up 5 shots and I shot more to get a consistent numbers. Where you are seeing the +1 turn and then just +1 etc this is the hammer spring adjuster on the rear. I marked the adjuster just like I showed when I was playing with the AAA HPS30. This helps in keeping things consistent and easy to index. I REALLY wish companies would add hash marks around the outside of the adjuster to help in tuning. Would be a great little addition that wouldn't add to much to the overall cost of the rifle.

I was doing rough adjustments on the rifle to see what I was able to accomplish. The 25 grain range of slugs shot great and I could feel a difference in the shot cycle when shooting. There didn't seem to be as much stress on the rifle and the valving sounded smoother while cycling. I did shoot some 30 and 34 grain Javelin V2 slugs just to see what speeds I can get. I was able to get close to 900 fps with the 34 grain slugs and there was still more hammer tension I could add. Now I didn't adjust the regulator as I didn't have any of my equipment to adjust and don't want to adjust just yet. Saying that the felt recoil was quite a bit more when going with the 34 grain slugs. You could really feel these slugs when shooting and I was honestly shocked. I have no doubt that the gun will shoot them but the effect it will have on the shot count is unknown at this point.

Speaking of shot count........ The rifle fills to a max of 250 bar. I was able to shoot 2 targets, so 10 shots with only 10 bar of pressure lost. I am looking at getting a digital gauge for the rifle so I can see exactly what the efficiency of the rifle is. But being as my main focus is to use this rifle for NRL22 matches, having 12 full powered shots I am ok with the shot count at this point.

Over all I am looking at the Corbin .218 X Hollow Point, this is one of their newer products, and they were shooting shockingly good. At the end of the session I was shooting from 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards at a new bull for each distance. And you can see the dispersion but it was consistent and I can't wait to get the gun out and hopefully shooting a few gophers and bunnies with it. My shooting buddy and I have been talking with Corbin and will be working on getting videos and pictures while using them ;) The other slugs I am going to play more with are the H&N Slug HP that are 25 grains as well as the JSB KnockOut in the 25.39 grains, both in the .217 size. This is what kind of confused me and frustrated me..... is the rifle was shooting both of these sizes very well!

I did start the 50 yard page with just a naked barrel. There was the adapter for the DonnyFL Ryu quick release adapter on the end, but no muzzle break or anything like that. I wanted to see what the rifle would do with a bare barrel and then add a moderator or muzzle break to see, if any, difference these will have on the groups. I do have a DonnyFL Ryu and Yokozuna, and Impulse Air 1350, a muzzle break that I purchased from South Africa, and a tunable muzzle break from Eagle Vision. I will get a group picture of them all so we can all see what is going on.

Over all I left the range with one heck of a headache, and ready to get home and shower. Being as I went from my job right to the range I was gross and slimy from a rough day at work. One thing I did notice is that the H&N slugs I had previously had, and finished off at the range, had a weird waxy lubricant on them. But the tin I opened up during this shooting session the slugs looked clean and didn't have that waxy looking appearance to them? I am also debating on trying some of the JSB KnockOuts in the V2. Not sure there will be any difference between the flat walled V1 and the flared base of the V2.

View attachment 466420View attachment 466421
That's one heck of a range session!!
i am clueless when it comes to slugs, but i also find it weird the .217 H&N are doing as well as the .218 from Corbin. Shouldn't the small diameter be less accurate? ..like i said..i'm clueless. I am assuming the diameters are true to size.
I do not think a quick release for a moderator will aid in your accuracy. Something that you add and subtract from the system is bound to change poi
I look forward to more of your post's
Good luck with all the testing!