Rattling FX Dreamline (and how I fixed it)

Hello all,

I encountered a little problem with my Dreamline, and it made me a bit anxious. Nevertheless, I solved it and since some other people might encounter this problem as well, I thought I'd share my "repair guide".

Let’s start with explaining what the situation was:
A dreamline makes a "normal" rattling noise when the gun is not cocked, but yesterday there was another noise. It too was a rattle but a different one. A quick check was to cock the gun and the noise was still there. Now I listened very carefully! I pinpointed the noise to right behind the regulator. A quick look at the exploded views FX provide on their support page and I had an idea of what could've been wrong.

The solution:
So if you have this problem and are fairly sure that the location of the noise is in the same area, I'd give this a shot! (It worked for me, but your results may vary)
For starters, make sure the gun is not cocked and/or loaded. Put the pellets and the magazine away we won't be needing those!

So, start with depressurizing your air reservoir. To do this pull the rotating dust cover of your cylinder. After you've done this, take a 11mm spanner (it must be a pretty flat one, I used a grinder to make one a bit flatter) and give your pressure gauge a bit of a turn (counterclockwise) until the air is leaking. Give it a couple of minutes. Once the gauge shows zero bar (and you can’t hear any air coming out) continue to unscrew the gauge. Some residual air might come out. Okay, now we can remove the air cylinder. To do this just take it with a firm grip and try to unscrew it (remember, lefty lose-y righty tight-y). We are homing in on the problem, if I'm right you should’ve seen it by now, there is a screw that fall out of its hole. Now take the screw and put the spring (that’s still in the hole or not anymore, it depends) and put it inside the screw. Take the entire assembly and gently put the spring around the valve stem at the bottom of the hole. You can now screw the screw into the tapped hole. Don't overtighten it and be extra careful to not cross thread the screw! At this point we're almost done. Just screw the cylinder back on. If you are wondering why the heck your regulator doesn't line up with the hole anymore, that’s up next. You see as there was still pressure in chamber with regulated air, the regulator got pushed back because the air on the other side losing its pressure (in the depressurizing step). To fix this, fill the gun with about 50 bar of air and shoot it a couple of times (if this doesn't work, up the pressure a bit, rinse and repeat). The regulator should be back in place. If its twisted (so the holes are turned with respect to each other) you can try to turn it with a small Allen wrench. Now all that’s left is to fill the gun and enjoy it.

I hope it could at least help some of you, because I was pretty down when I heard the rattle.

Thanks for your attention,

Robieras out! *mic drop*

My Dreamline now seems to have this problem after coming back from FX warranty repairs and only a few shots. So what screw actually comes loose?

I am getting a pretty wide range of ES from weighed and sorted pellets, so I am not sure if it is a bad regulator or metal chips that I found in hammer area. I thought that I cleaned all of them out, but may be some more are still in there. Alternatively it could be a poorly performing regulator. 

I am inclined to send it back to fx again.

Dan

1573537435_8811674395dca469bab9dc3.79919800_9AFAD26D-4E36-4D80-BE22-50E84DF35A10.jpeg

1573537454_11491134415dca46aec3d125.83958192_86BC9D07-AB5F-449A-84B6-353D4E47DBCE.jpeg

1573537473_17659965285dca46c1a3d6e3.71927685_344F89AF-7A49-46A2-902A-A0CE7BBA2789.jpeg