• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Western Airguns Rattler 357 and 45

Anyone have some concrete info on the new rattler 45? I ask because I have a deposit down on a 357 and just found out the 45 is coming.... would be a total bummer if I buy the 357 and the 45 makes more energy and similar shot count.

Side question: any idea if there's a way to make the rattler handle 300bar in the tank?

I'm keeping my eye on it. I imagine the .45 will make more energy than the .357, but I bet the magazine will not hold anywhere near 15 shots. 6 shots would put it on par with the highest capacity big bores in the industry, anything more is bonus. If that's the case, I would be very surprised if each shot makes over 500 FPE. I'm guessing it'll be more in the 400 FPE range but we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
$3000.00 for a 300fpe hunting rifle is a bit steep for me. I'll stick with my $ 600.00 357 making 340fpe and be just as affected for a hunting rifle!
Agree,
jeez for less then a grand you can get you can get an AR9 that if you shoot the American Eagle 148gr will make about 400 FPE and it's more quiet then an airgun.

Reactions: 357cal
Anyone have some concrete info on the new rattler 45? I ask because I have a deposit down on a 357 and just found out the 45 is coming.... would be a total bummer if I buy the 357 and the 45 makes more energy and similar shot count.

Side question: any idea if there's a way to make the rattler handle 300bar in the tank?
They show it hunting hogs on a youtube video..He said its a 12rd mag.He said will come in a carbine version that he was using that puts out 350 ft lbs with a 230gr slug..He also said there will be a longer version that puts out a little over 400ft lbs of energy, im assuming with that same high arc hunter 230gr

They show it hunting hogs on a youtube video..He said its a 12rd mag.He said will come in a carbine version that he was using that puts out 350 ft lbs with a 230gr slug..He also said there will be a longer version that puts out a little over 400ft lbs of energy, im assuming with that same high arc hunter 230gr
Could you put up the link that says this please?

For a hunting PCP at that price point, I would stick with my .357, which delivers 340 FPE with a 214gr projectile and costs $609. If I desired over 400 FPE, I could install a max power valve, bringing the total to approximately $730 and achieving well over 400 FPE with a 214gr projectile. However, everyone has their preferences, which is why there is a variety of PCPs available.

.357CAL: 140 grains, 6+ good shots, 350 FPE and above.
.457CAL: 300 grains, 4+ good shots, 630 FPE and above.

Reactions: Airgun561
For a hunting PCP at that price point, I would stick with my .357, which delivers 340 FPE with a 214gr projectile and costs $609. If I desired over 400 FPE, I could install a max power valve, bringing the total to approximately $730 and achieving well over 400 FPE with a 214gr projectile. However, everyone has their preferences, which is why there is a variety of PCPs available.

I've got a couple AEAs as well and the rattler dominates them so significantly it isn't even a fair comparison. But sure, if price is a problem and hunting is the purpose, other options are abundant.

Yeah i have the rattler in .357 already and am sticking with that along with my bulldog .357 magnum and dragon claw2 mainly for air bolts.If i was buying my first rattler i would probably go with the .45 but not enough of a change to make the switch from the .357

I've got a couple AEAs as well and the rattler dominates them so significantly it isn't even a fair comparison. But sure, if price is a problem and hunting is the purpose, other options are abundant.

Yeah i have the rattler in .357 already and am sticking with that along with my bulldog .357 magnum and dragon claw2 mainly for air bolts.If i was buying my first rattler i would probably go with the .45 but not enough of a change to make the swi

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to wrap $2,000 in a Airforce Texan....I'm pretty excited about there 45 Rattler....They use TJ barrel liners...It seems aside from the trigger they are some of the more accurate airgun out there...
45 cal Texan with another grand in it would be around 900 fpe and long range would be over 600 yards 2400 bucks . Hell my 308 Texan with a power valve is more pcp than the 357 rattler.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity..What is the minimum FPE everyone is comfortable with when going after say white tail or big boar (175lbs+)?I feel like 300-350 will get the job done with good shot placement.Is there really a need for 600-800fpe or is it just more humane and assuring?Heck Keith Warren was taking out big bucks with his 220fpe dragon claw no problem 10 years ago! Going on my first hog hunt soon, was just curious what everyone’s thought were.