Ratting Around Livestock Feed

I’ve been toying with the idea of “ratting” to eliminate some field mice I’ve been seeing in the hay barn. Considering that livestock eat this hay, I am not inclined to use lead pellets in the event of pass throughs and missed shots because I don’t want them ingesting any lead when they will later be slaughtered for food and sold. I’m sure their are varying opinions here, but I’m pretty set on not shooting lead into the hay. So my first thought was to use lead free pellets which are expensive to shoot mice with. I don’t suspect that I’ll do much to their numbers. It would be more of a recreational activity that may slow their reproduction rate. My question is what are your thoughts on this idea? Are any members casting tin or lead-free projectiles? If so, what have you found success with?

Are there any opportunities when they are not in the hay? You know you’ll get pass throughs… So go with your original instinct and get some lead free pellets.
@L.Leon I only really see them when I open the barn door, but more specifically when I’m moving hay rolls. I don’t know what they’re doing once I leave.

• Haha
Reactions: L.Leon
@L.Leon I only really see them when I open the barn door, but more specifically when I’m moving hay rolls. I don’t know what they’re doing once I leave.
How could you know “what they’re doing”? Once you leave? I thought the question was whether to go lead free in the described scenario…

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
How could you know “what they’re doing”? Once you leave? I thought the question was whether to go lead free in the described scenario…
@L.Leon Indeed, but now that we’re talking about it I wonder if a trail cam would show anything. I don’t know if they’re just there to nest and get out of the elements or what. It’s about to get hot. I can’t imagine they’ll stay through the summer.

BB's = copper coated steel
My experience with mice is all with a 10 pump Daisy BB gun and a red light.
My boss had a property with an unused building that was over run with mice. I would bait them with potato chips and just sit there and pick them off. IIRC I used 3 pumps on my Daisy for most effective accuracy and to reduce over penetration.
Even now, if we get a mouse under the stove for example, I'll grab the Daisy and use 1 pump at point blank range and dispatch it. Entry wound, no exit, and a dead mouse.

At my old house I use to shoot mice in the garage. I made bait stations by drilling a dimple in a 2x4 that I put peanut butter in and mounted a red light to illuminate it. I then sat across the garage using a Crosman 2289G at only two pumps. I got complete penetration and the pellet either stuck in the 2x4 or was laying next to it.

Reactions: AmosBurton
@qball thanks. I saw them suggested in another thread earlier today. Predator pricing seems predatory in the case of their GTO pellets.

Yes! The 22 and 25 pellets really expensive BUT the 177 pellets are not too bad. For rats that’s more than enough anyways even at sub12 FPE. 900fps at 5.7 grain is barely 10.25 FPE, nice and safe in every way.

6 cents a shot before shipping or discount.

Yes! The 22 and 25 pellets really expensive BUT the 177 pellets are not too bad. For rats that’s more than enough anyways even at 12 FPE. 900fps at 5.7 grain is barely 10.25 FPE, nice and safe in every way.
@qball I’m hoping to affix some NV or I may get fancy and break out the thermal on the mice. They’re small field mice. The only .177 available is a springer. So I’m looking to use my Prod and possibly my Huben .22. I have no idea when I’ll get to it, but I want to give it a go.

Reactions: qball
@qball I’m hoping to affix some NV or I may get fancy and break out the thermal on the mice. They’re small field mice. The only .177 available is a springer. So I’m looking to use my Prod and possibly my Huben .22. I have no idea when I’ll get to it, but I want to give it a go.

My recommendation is find a sub12 177 gun for cheap. Lots of shots and very safe especially for indoor. You don’t need more than 10-11fpe.

Be sure to wear eye protection indoors in case the pellet bounces back. Leadfree pellets are harder so will have high chance of bouncing back. Good thing is leadfree pellets are safe around poultry like chicken and duck so you can advertise that for additional permission.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@qball You're pretty on point. I read about the hardness of lead-free pellets and ricochets in the thread as well. The backstop will be large rolls of hay. Thanks for the tips.

Here’s that other thread

Last edited: