RATS❗ — How to Attract Them — How to Light Them Up

Lots of excellent experience in this post. I’ve appreciated the insights.

I’ve run the gamut of set ups. They have all worked at some degree. I pest in suburbs, and I don’t have too many rats, so my set up is a bit idiosyncratic.

Light: A have a solar powered red light that shines consistently on the baited spot. I’ve used scopes; however, night vision lights up their eyes, and I can see rats in between the slats of a fence. The slats are 1/2 inch apart, and my pellet is 1/4 inch, so there is plenty of room.

Bait: I have a bird feeder that keeps rats coming into a single spot. When it gets slow because I’ve revved at them a bit too much, I will use a better bait—nearly anything works; a spoonful of Thai food leftovers was quite popular—peanut butter, softened dog food.

Rotten eggs does bring them in.

O good, I really needed to know that.
Simply a great piece of information.
Yes, so immensely helpful.

⚠️ My wife will be contacting you, ThirdPlace, and you, dv8eod
to demand reparation payments to her sense of smell, the damage done to our home, and the damage to our reputation in the neighborhood. 😡

😵 WHERE in all that is good-smelling do I get rotten eggs — unless "I grow them in my home" — with all the dangers that this endeavor entails...?!?

Matthias 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dv8eod
O good, I really needed to know that.
Simply a great peace of information.
Yes, so immensely helpful.

⚠️ My wife will be contacting you, ThirdPlace, and you, dv8eod
to demand reparation payments to her sense of smell, the damage done to our home, and the damage to our reputation in the neighborhood. 😡

😵 WHERE in all that is good-smelling do I get rotten eggs — unless "I grow them in my home" — with all the dangers that this endeavor entails...?!?

Matthias 😉
Ha, Matthias! Let the wife know it was dv8eod’s idea first. LOL. I suppose the larger message is that rats aren‘t especially finicky.

If you need A LOT of light, a small LEP flashlight with a red filter on it.
Most LEP flashlights are like a laser beam, and some practically do not have any light spill.

You can get some that is fairly cheap too, but this can also get expensive.

The Lumentop ant man will be small enough to mount on just about anything.

iu

I was merely responding to an honest inquiry as to what would help attract vermin to a specific locale for elimination.

Any actions taken based on previous suggestions are solely the responsibility of the inquiring party and should take all due diligence to cover one's own butt with She Who Must Be Obeyed as a precaution.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 😁 ;)

I will add that it is alot easier when you have neighbors who raise "free range" chickens that like to lay eggs wherever they get the urge. Sometimes you see them, sometimes the mower finds them first.

(Do let us know how you manage to pull it off.)

What a fun thread! 😃

Thanks guys, you're really motivating me to look for new permissions! 😃

I should do some search with GoogleMaps' satellite view to find chicken farms that are relatively close (1 hour drive) but away from too many houses.

Matthias

Here's a medium sized one:
View attachment 419790
Let me help you out. I'm working on my travel plans right now. :)

Let me help you out. I'm working on my travel plans right now. :)

Fair enough.

I just sent the requirements to another chap with an itching trigger finger. 😆

▪ Passport valid min. 12 months
▪ Authorization to bring your gun (2m lead time)
▪ Ticket to Lima (4 to 9 months lead time to get best prices)

Peru is worth a trip!

Matthias

Fair enough.

I just sent the requirements to another chap with an itching trigger finger. 😆

▪ Passport valid min. 12 months
▪ Authorization to bring your gun (2m lead time)
▪ Ticket to Lima (4 to 9 months lead time to get best prices)

Peru is worth a trip!

Matthias
Is the authorization 12 months for air rifles as well?

Is the authorization 12 months for air rifles as well?

To bring an airgun or pellets or a scope across the border to Peru the Peruvian Bureau for Explosives and Weapons has to authorize it.
Paperwork turn-around can take 1 to 2 months.
It is valid for the current calendar year.

Peru really needs to get a Second Amendment....

Matthias

Reactions: L.Leon
To bring an airgun or pellets or a scope across the border to Peru the Peruvian Bureau for Explosives and Weapons has to authorize it.
Paperwork turn-around can take 1 to 2 months.
It is valid for the current calendar year.

Peru really needs to get a Second Amendment....

Matthias
Thanks for the info!

Just an addendum...I use this tiny RED LED flashlight but I also have a RED LED flood light, only 25 watts, from my back porch so the rats are so used to the red light spectrum. I use a 30mm scope ring with a picatinny rail (amazon too) to mount the flashlight.

COSMOING 400 Yards Gun Flashlight Red/Green/White LED Tactical Rail Mounted with Quick Release, Fits Glock Taurus Ruger Springfield H&K S&W https://a.co/d/aaWgHHV

FENTUK 1"/25.4mm & 30mm Rifle Scope Ring Adaptor with Rail - Tactical Light Barrel Clamp Mounts for Scope Flashlight Laser Sight Optics - with 4 Slot 21mm Picatinny Rail on Top https://a.co/d/5PMxtTT

for lights, I like BRIGHT red or green LED lights... which means if your light is white and it has a red or green filter in front of the LED, you're losing brightness. Quick searches on the internet find that better lights are Red and or Green or White LEDs. with lights like this you don't lose brightness to the filter / difusser .

Reactions: JungleShooter
@JungleShooter can you source a sniper hog light? It comes at a cost but has the option to easily replace what is called a pill. You can get it with whatever color you choose and swap when you want, white, green, red. When you get your NV you can get the IR bulbs. Not sure how you get stuff but worse case you can start with something in red or green only with a pressure switch. If peanut is pricey I would think tuna is as well you can try cat food. For the NV is it just not allowed there or jus don't have the funds yet.