• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rats got smart

Hi guys.

Thanks for the great tips. I'll try to summarise them here to confirm if I understand them correctly and please do correct me if I'm wrong and if I missed any tips:

- Shoot at 30 yards away.
- Don't come often, about twice or once a month.
- no lights
- connect the NV to a phone so that I can watch the action on the screen, instead of peering into the scope all night.
- Try to use different bait, like cat food.

Did I get those right? Anything I missed?

Also, just sharing what I read last night mixing egg with bait increases efficacy. I haven't tried it yet. But I will try to mush the bait with a bit of cooking oil and mix an egg with it. Who knows what will happen, but I'll update you guys in a few weeks time.

Thanks guys.

This is normal. Deer do it. Raccoons do it. They notice situations and places where their buddies all start to die, and they avoid those situations and places.

The advice all sounds fine. But even with all that advice, the rats will slowly learn.

My neighbourhood still has lots of raccoons. But none of them come into my yard. About once every 2-3 years a young, dumb raccoon will wander into my yard to test if the legends are true.

Reactions: maxtrouble
This is normal. Deer do it. Raccoons do it. They notice situations and places where their buddies all start to die, and they avoid those situations and places.

The advice all sounds fine. But even with all that advice, the rats will slowly learn.

My neighbourhood still has lots of raccoons. But none of them come into my yard. About once every 2-3 years a young, dumb raccoon will wander into my yard to test if the legends are true.
And here, before I shared my experience in this forum, I thought that every ratting session would be like those on YouTube videos. Non-stop shooting all night and every day. :)

And here, before I shared my experience in this forum, I thought that every ratting session would be like those on YouTube videos. Non-stop shooting all night and every day. :)

You know you've reached saturation when you walk around your neighbourhood and encounter the occasional raccoon, and they just slowly back away from you without breaking eye contact. ;)