• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rats for coyote bait

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
This video showed the rats I shot and collected as bait for my previous video Coyote#4 - Failed Attempt.

Weather is getting nasty with lots of snow on the ground so rats shooting will be cancelled for now. That means the coyotes will get a break as well.

Enjoy this video and hope we will get a better New Year where we can be safe again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wXZDl5m0VI&t=488s

Bummer on the weather. Do you do any cold-weather pesting considering that snow is a regular occurrence up there? Is that tent a pop-up hunting blind? Good shot on the rat at 50 yards you shot between those plant stalks!

Thank you for emphasizing the eye fatigue from looking through an IR scope for stretches at a time. It’s also an adjustment to transition from dark back to the light inside the eyepiece. I had to learn to use my hand to cover my eyepiece just as I switch on my Pard NV007a because the initial screen flash is absolute hell on my eye. It is also more difficult to shoot at night so I’m glad you brought this up as well. I look forward to you bagging one of these coyotes and sharing the video. Thanks for sharing. Be safe out there. 

@Ezana4CE. We typically don't get that much snow here during the winter months, but this year is extremely cold for a change. Snow covered ground and -10 deg C is a bit much for me to endure, lol. Plus I am sure the air pressure/accuracy of my gun would be affected so I decided to take a break for now. Yes the camo tent is a pop up model with lots of room inside and openings on all 4 corners. It is simple to set up and plenty of room for two person. The light emits from the night vision eyepiece is very fatigue to the eye even at low brightness. It doesn't take long before you see dark shadow in your vision. I try to close my eyes and rest as much as possible, but when the rats are out, there is no time to rest, lol. Hopefully in 2022 I will get at least a coyote. I do have another new permission where the farmer told me a den is on the edge of his property about 50 yards away. And the bonus is that he mentioned he could leave out a dead calf in the field so I can do a stake out. So I am looking forward to that adventure.

@Corvid_hunter. Yes night vision shooting is very tiring on the eyes. As soon as you stare into the bright light emits from the eyepiece, you will get the shadow in your vision. Just like staring into a bright flash light for a second or two. But you will adjust and get used to it after a while. Just don't walk around immediately after looking thru the scope for a long time because you wouldn't be able to see properly with your aiming eye.

@Healthservices. I probably could tie them down for a better chance of shooting them. My next video will show these two coyotes returned and just ate the 9 rats right in front of the trail cam in broad daylight without moving away. So they are pretty bold and didn't seem to worry too much out in the open. I will return to hunt them when the weather is better.

@PelletPusher. Thank you. That was a funny clip for sure. Rats are nasty creature and I am very happy to help the farmer get rid of some of them and yes, great practice for me as well.

any photos of your setup ?

@Farmbo If you go to his profile and click “forums” you can sift through his previous posts. He posted his different setups in a few videos. In a more recent one he did a video elaborating on New equipment that he added to his setup. Let me find the recent video so I can post it here for you. Here’s a link to the recent video explaining his ratting setup https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-second-rat-gun-set-up-with-pp700sa-immersive-optic-pard007s/?referrer=1

I can’t recall seeing still photos of his rigs. At the beginning of many of his videos he shows the guns he’ll use in the video. 

@farmbo. Not sure which setup you are referring to. But you should be able to see my HW100T with the Pard008 LRF and the external 850nm IR at the beginning of my rats video.

I have since added a second IR to the gun placed on either side of the air cylinder. I haven't tested it out in the field yet as the weather is too cold right now, but with the additional light source, the image should be a lot better. In this video I mounted the IR on the top rail and my camera was blocked sightly with the front of the IR; hence there were some shadow in the footages. The new mounting setup should be a lot better. I used zip tie to secure the two mounts.

IMG_2999.1640823970.jpg