Rats and mongoose

Dear Ratso...

Donnyfl.com has different adapters that friction fit over a non-threaded barrel and have a 1/2 X 20 threaded end so you can add a moderator to an unthreaded barrel. They come in all different widths and you can usually pick up a used moderator on the Classified from time to time. A decent moderator can make all the difference in the world.

Regards,

Uncle Hoot

Mongoose is a really tough critter. The 25 caliber is what I would use and the Avenger can easily lower the power and in turn should make it quieter as well. The 19.9gr H&N FTT and Diana Magnums (same pellet) shoot great at much lower power if your gun likes them if you worry about overkill but a 25 caliber hole makes them deader no question than a 177 hole where shot placement would matter a lot more if they wait around and let you shoot them.

Mongoose are one tough animal. I usually hunt them with either .22 or .30 (whichever my Imapact is configured for. I like the .30 a little better because even a poor hit means he won't live long. I think your .25 will be fine. Moderator is for the neighbors comfort only because hit or miss even with a moderator the mongoose usually won't be back for a while.

What are you using for bait?

The nest bait I have found is put some bacon grease on aluminum foil and roll into a ball. Put a stake in the ground about 2 feet high. Tie the aluminum foil ball about 18" up. The mongoose will approach in their usual cautious manner but will stretch out to get the greasy foil. When they are fully stretched out they are less cautious and real vulnerable. Gut shot works good in this situation. I have shot and missed and the mongoose will flee but come back in about 5 minutes or less. They can't resist the bacon.