Rate of F....Failure?

Little personal experience with anything you mention (the pistols).

Have you thought about other old cool look alikes -seems too add to y'all fun- ?

S&W 78 or 79g , find a decent used one and your Son can give it to his Son. The Crosman MKI & II are iconic and again last generations. And in the keeping of being a good "airgun friend" I must recomend the crosman 600! Just do it. You will likely out grim the youngsters, absolute the most fun Co2 pistol ever manufactured yet again ( naturally only buy from a known airgunner) get one in current good working order and it should last years and years. Also perhaps a Crosman 38T yet another heirloom piece of kit.

John

fun with the children is a Crosman 600 , ya buddy

spysir,

Thanks for the old school recommendations. I had to google the MKI and MKII pistols. They look nice and solid and they seem to have a big following. Ebay seems loaded with old and new Crosmans FS, I admit that don't know much about the companies models, history and which models are good. Will have to read up. Looks like the 600 you mentioned is a Sears model?

Speaking of old school, I see lots of talk on some airgun forums of the Shreidan Blue Streak. I had one in the 70s that my dad bought for me. Many fond memories. Some not so fond of pinching my fingers btw the stock and barrel trying to do those last few pumps. :)

Wish I knew what happened to it.

I own one of these it's a kick to shoot.

Umarex Legends MP40 

download.png
1572382671_5763469765db8a7cf674505.73439170_PY-4312_Umarex-Legends-MP-CO2_1484319943.jpg

I really want this one! Been looking at it for the past few months.

I see you say you are into guitars.....you will find in the air gun world you have people that "Play Authentic" and as you are a guitar guy you will get that....the rest of the people here are running to google and then going to come back here to flame me.

If you like the CO2 stuff, and you are new to this (forgive if I glanced over this in another post) but you need to know how to take care of the special needs of CO2 guns....Oil for them, and the correct kind of oil....there are all kinds of home gown formulas out there not just pellgunoil. So keeping the gun lubed up is pretty high on the list on these guns. Not everyone in this hobby needs a $3000 air rifle to shoot tin cans at a max of 25 yards....there is much more fun, and a huge amount of good guns out there in the types of guns you are looking at. I would say the guns you are looking at do the job they are made to do with a slightly higher failure rate over the cork sniffer guns....and that higher failure rate is people not knowing how to care for them. I own several of the guns you talk about, I love the lever gun, but I have the walther version....wanted real wood....looking real hard at the new-ish M1 they have if it was only an M2 it would be home now. These guns are real fun....more fun then they should be.

If I lived in town and shot in my basement this is likely all I would have, why bother with an air gun and have to drive to a range....for me I will just take powder if I have to drive somewhere.....I am lucky enough to open my garage door and have a 400 yard air gun range right there. So I have grown to more powerful guns.

I will say this however the guns I do own, with very few exceptions are guns many in the "in crowd" look down upon as cheap. And in looking at targets these same people post up personally I really don't see much if any difference....usually it is a you think that is amazing.

Do you....enjoy what you enjoy....nothing you have listed is a lower quality gun....they work as designed however they are CO2 and they have needs and one of those needs is oil....I saw a video years ago by Tom Gaylord...one of "the" air gun guys....he said there is no such thing as too much oil.....I subscribe to this and have $30 CO2 air guns that are 10+ years and going fine 1077. These guns will go the long haul they just take care.

Cherokee,

Great post, TY, you are saying what I said, only better! :)

Oil | Maintenance - I admit to being a novice here. For powder-burners, a quick few squirts of Remoil and push through of the cleaning rod on the shotguns was all needed. Maybe a bit more with rimfires and rifles (brass brush). I have cleaning kits up the ying-yang inherited from my dad, every caliber known to man. No .177, and a good thing, since this is a no-no in pellet BB land? I did get the snake, just in case I need to clean the barrel. Everything I've been learning says no abrasives and since no powder residue, no cleaning needed.. The only oil I have used is a squirt on the top of the CO2, and I though that is mostly to facilitate a good seal, no?

I like how you said, if I'm going to drive to shoot, I'm bringing the real deal. some of the better pellet rifles look enticing, but to shoot cans and plink, then not so much. Plus I like the replicas. :)

What makes me shake my head is why don't some of these manufacturers make a superior C02 BB gun that at least lasts 10 years of moderate use instead of designing what amounts to be a flawed design up front.

Like that Broomhandle Mauser for example. The way the barrel and shroud attached to the pistol was absolutely retarded! I bet they could have spent $2-3 dollars more to make the barrel attachment system work right. 

Or that DPMS, the plastic trigger sear wore out near as I could tell, so why not use metal parts instead in this critical area??? Again, the price increase is hardly anything and surely has to be less than having to repair the guns and ship them back.

I mean these manufacturers have to know these are flaws but ship the damn things out anyway???

I just don't get it!

Well said. I really wanted that Mauser, but you may have talked me out of it. 

Mr. Espo.

Crosman made the 600 a "sears" model is still a crosman just a slightly fancier run just for them, if they could have gotten the "Ted Williams" stamp likely would have.

Fresh rebuild in decent shape it's a $200.00 classic they will last & last. Just grabbed any vid off the internet(not my vid) maybe slide up to the 3 min mark and think about shooting with the youngsters. Easy to install a longer barrel & silencer if that seems fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FgoDRJcVY

An old Crosman 38T I used to own:

1572548993_10085783185dbb3181cdcb10.96499847_CROSMAN38T.jpg

again grab a well rebuilt one ( under $100) and it should last 10 to 40 years w/out needing another oring-seal.

John