• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rat hunting

I was lucky to get permission to hunt on a large dairy farm. They said there was a lot of rats and I was welcome to shoot them. I have always been pretty good at hunting,been doing it a long time. However I have been to this farm 3 times and I can't find a rat. I have used bait and no bait results are the same
I can't hunt at night cause I don't have a night scope and no money to buy one.
Question an one use a red lense flash light with any luck to hunt at night?
Any tips are welcome
Thanks

Reactions: AmosBurton
A simple red light on a figure 8 clamp, clamped to your present scope can be very effective. Do a search, I use a lumenshooter light. But there are many others. I killed hundreds of rats with the setup described. If the rats are a,ready there, you just need to locate their areas of activity. Just simply ask the dairyman where he’s been seeing them. Then it’s just a matter of patterning them. Also, be aware that at many dairies, rats are active during the day. Many, many of my rat kills were during the day. Good luck.

Daytime rats

5DF817FB-BF33-4EF3-A3FE-D8C8D44A2481.jpeg

177EECE9-865F-4D72-BC31-14DC614EB414.jpeg

Just shot these 2 last night, fruit rats, I set up a bait station with peanut butter near where their traffic route is. The ones you will be shooting are norway rats, the much bigger cousins of these. I use a red LED flashlight, one with a red diffuser works the same. Bring a wood board amd smear peanut butter on it (then they really need to stay and lick it up, cannot run off with it) and place it near an entrance/exit hole near the barn. Set up far enough away about 20-30yds and shoot away! You may not need to set up a bait station but bring those just in case. Good luck and have fun! Bring lots of ammo and air.

View attachment 331306
Just shot these 2 last night, fruit rats, I set up a bait station with peanut butter near where their traffic route is. The ones you will be shooting are norway rats, the much bigger cousins of these. I use a red LED flashlight, one with a red diffuser works the same. Bring a wood board amd smear peanut butter on it (then they really need to stay and lick it up, cannot run off with it) and place it near an entrance/exit hole near the barn. Set up far enough away about 20-30yds and shoot away! You may not need to set up a bait station but bring those just in case. Good luck and have fun! Bring lots of ammo and air.
I’m jealous, haven’t shot a rat in a long while. Good shooting…

Reactions: Ranchibi
A simple red light on a figure 8 clamp, clamped to your present scope can be very effective. Do a search, I use a lumenshooter light. But there are many others. I killed hundreds of rats with the setup described. If the rats are a,ready there, you just need to locate their areas of activity. Just simply ask the dairyman where he’s been seeing them. Then it’s just a matter of patterning them. Also, be aware that at many dairies, rats are active during the day. Many, many of my rat kills were during the day. Good luck.

Daytime rats

View attachment 331307
I'm envious! Please trap them and send to me!

Unless you get a huge infestation. Each visit will never be the same, one week I can go and get 30 the next im lucky to get one rat.

Each location is different also, they are nocturnal by nature rats. One permission means going of a daytime, it is the animals feeding time! The food doesn’t last until dust, no rats active of a night.

Ratting is never consistent unfortunately!

If you are on Instagram search my handle/username

Verminhunter

You can see how varied rat shooting is from one week to the next.

Atb

Reactions: survivor45