Rat hunt at sunset in the Arizona desert

IMG_2182.1632507301.jpeg
IMG_2172.1632507326.jpeg
IMG_2171.1632507352.jpeg

With the evenings starting to cool off a little and sunset coming around 7:30 and dropping, it's time to get after those rodents that have done thousands of dollars (not exaggerating here) in damage to my vehicles and house. I have been doing this for several years and I have to say that this might be the most fun I've had with my airguns, and I've had a lot of fun with my airguns. I use my "old but extremely reliable and accurate" FX 400 Royal, JSB 18.13, NiteSite IR light with scope mounted camera, TKKOK D80 night vision Bino's, and a very nice red wine or (my favorite) about 2oz's of McCallum's 12 year old single malt. I set a white paper plate out about 25 yds with a dab of peanut butter topped with a pork rind. (Don't laugh, it works) and wait anywhere from 3 min to 1 hr. Funny thing about these rats, they will built a nest the size of a half buried VW Beetle, and live in it by themselves. I rarely get more then one a night out of a single nest. So get out there and have some airgun fun. What do you guys have?
2020_12_20_074815.1632510228.JPG

What's the last thing that goes through a rats mind when he freezes in front of a nite vision equipped PCP? A 18.13 pellet going 940 FPS

The infrared light I use shines a light just like a regular flashlight does however the light is in a spectrum that the human and rat eye can not see (850 nm). The camera can "see" the 850nm light and projects it on to the screen you see in the pics. And since it's looking through the scope it also sees the illuminated crosshairs. I got all of that equipment off of Amazon or from AOA. The IR Bino's work the same way. I point the gun light at my bait and use the bino's to search a much wider area. ANYTHING with eyes (rats, mice, rabbits lizards, frogs, toads) show up super bright like the rat you see here. Your heart rate goes up when those eyes show up. Mice are the hardest to hit cause they never sit still long enough to get a beed on them. When you nail a rat you hear a VERY satisfying "THUMP" like shooting a pellet into a sandbag.

Can rats see red light? Been wanting to pop a few rats but have never hunted them. I just use rat traps and have taken out a bunch that way but would like to shoot some also. Don't have a night scope and can't afford to buy one.

I’ve shot them at like 15 20 yards with red 10$ flashlight off Amazon.The green flashlight I’ve shot rats and I’ve shined raccoons,dear,rabbits,opossum and feral cats without them scaring off.My opinion seems like the green shines better too.

Nice setup and shooting Hooter. I really miss ratting. Havent done it in a few years. These were shot over the course of about 1.5 hours in an upstate NY Dairy farm. The farmer would smile & shake our hands then retire to his house for the night. We'd kill the lights in the main barn, smoke a cigar for 15 or 20 minutes, then have at it. Kalibrgun Colibri's cranked up to 910 fps with JSB 18.1's...& Armasight NV scopes. Too much fun...

IMG_1343.1632699978.JPG