Rat airborne

Rats are very hard to terminate without using traps. It takes too much time and effort for each rat. This one triggered the alarm more than 5 times over the course of 3 hours. The motion webcam often misses the rat because it is in and out of view before the video capture starts.

Rats don't stay still for very long so you have to be quick. Quick isn't conducive to being precise. At my current skill level, if I took my time my aim is good for about 1", but I didn't have that the time with rats. That's why I passed on the 1st opportunity for a head shot. I probably would have missed and it would have been scared off. So I had to be patient and wait for a better body shot where aim isn't so important. Still the shot was far from ideal. Luckily I used a 60 fpe .25 instead of my 12 fpe .177 so the rat still died quickly.

Rats like the bong too! :ROFLMAO:

For nighttime rats I only take body shots, because like you said they can move quick. I’ve been using a 12 fpe or less 177 the last few months and it does the job. I shoot them at 18 yards in a bird feeder. The food slows them down. The furthest one died away from the feeder is within 5 yards. My JRT found its corpse quickly. Most die in the feeder, or just hit the ground below it. 177 can be rewarding and fun. Mine is still moving 750 fps, so it’s getting to them plenty fast.

I went to the lower power because my feeder is taking a beating. No more 25 cal unless it’s a trash panda haha.

But every rat deserves to die, shoot them with whatever you got!

But every rat deserves to die, shoot them with whatever you got!
I agree. Rats have caused me $1000s in repair bills and much more in home improvements to keep them out of my house. But no one can shoot them faster than they reproduce. But it does give you some satisfaction as payback for the misery and costs they cause people. I wish the bobcats, foxes, coyotes and raccoons would do a better job so I wouldn't have to.

Reactions: JungleShooter
I agree. Rats have caused me $1000s in repair bills and much more in home improvements to keep them out of my house. But no one can shoot them faster than they reproduce. But it does give you some satisfaction as payback for the misery and costs they cause people. I wish the bobcats, foxes, coyotes and raccoons would do a better job so I wouldn't have to.
I leave everything out overnight that I kill. Squirrels and birds get taken, rats are still there the next morning. Now I just put them in the trash immediately. Hell, I’ve had animals get in my trash for a squirrel I’ve discarded. Never a rat.

I left it outside 2nd day now. No takers. A coyote came by a few days ago to recycle one. I will have to trash it soon before decay sets it. Maybe the vulture will come by again. One thing good about using the .25 is I don't have to worry about lead poisoning critters. I'm sure it was a complete pass through. A low power .177 would probably leave the pellet inside the body.

Coyote takes dead rat.

Turkey Vulture.

Last edited:
Nice shot and video! Rats are what got me into airgunning.... should I thank them or curse them!?....😂👍

Rats are a "blessing in disguise."

➠ OK, I can't believe I actually wrote that. It's disgusting! 😵
But if you don't want to eat what you hunt — but still like to shoot — then rats might be for you.
They are a bad thing — that is a good thing to shoot, so in some twisted sense....
You get the idea. 😉

Tomorrow, for the first time in my airgunning journey, I will visit a chicken farm and see if the owner has a surplus of rats that need taking care of.
And if he has enough trust in me to let me on his property, gun toting and all. 😆
So, this thread got my attention.

Matthias 😊

Last edited:
Rats are a "blessing in disguise."

➠ OK, I can't believe I actually wrote that. It's disgusting! 😵
But if you don't want to eat what you hunt — but still like to shoot — then rats might be for you.
They are a bad thing — that is a good thing to shoot, so in some twisted sense....
You get the idea. 😉

Tomorrow, for the first time in my airgunning journey, I will visit a chicken farm and see if the owner has have a surplus of rats that need taking care of.
And if he has enough trust in me to let me on his property, gun toting and all. 😆
So, this thread got my attention.

Matthias 😊
Oooh! Have fun at your farm permission!

Where there are chickens the rats will be there also. Just have enough air, pellets and batteries for your lighting and NV.

Tomorrow I will be making the ASK.

The SHOOT will be some time after that.... Since I'm bringing an "airgun student" with me — who has some kind of problem with killing anything.... — I don't think he'll be up for the SHOOT part..... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matthias