RAW Rapid Rapid Air Weapons leaks

Have not had the rifle out in several months. When I took it out of the case yesterday I was surprised to find the bottle empty. Tried to refill it it but the air was leaking out. Thought it might be the bottle O- ring so I swapped it out for a new one. That did not fix it. I know the leak is somewhere around the fill nozzle. Anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

If it's leaking around the v-block I would suspect a regulator leak. How old is gun or how long since serviced? O'rings go bad over time.
Yes, the two (same size) thin o-rings of the v-block are likely the culprit. Those two and the bottle o-ring are by far the biggest offenders in a RAW.
The skinny regulator (against the receiver) o-ring can fail too, but you need to have removed the regulator several times ........
Most others require you to do something stupid to fail.

I purchased packs of (50) of these 3 sizes ....... just for this reason.

Last edited:
There are a few area’s to look at, the v fill o rings, or the reg core o rings, these are the most likely suspects.
Remove the reg from the block with a 21mm spanner, make a mark on the brass knurled locking nut and on the reg. unscrew the brass not DO NOT UNDO THE REG TENSION NUT. remove the two o rings on the reg core and reassemble so that the two marks line up. By doing it this way the reg pressure will still be the same.

DC9FDC31-7C7B-4D9A-B399-2A08D29B1097.jpeg

Send it back to Martin Rutherford at Airguns USA. Will come back like new.
For anyone who wants to own and shoot a RAW long-term .... fixing basic things like bottle, v-block and regulator to receiver o-rings must become almost 2nd nature. IMO, sending the gun to Martin is a last, expensive ($$$) resort.

For anyone who wants to own and shoot a RAW long-term .... fixing basic things like bottle, v-block and regulator to receiver o-rings must become almost 2nd nature. IMO, sending the gun to Martin is a last, expensive ($$$) resort.
I think that holds true for almost any PCP. Sooner or later, you will have a leak on any of them.

I think that holds true for almost any PCP. Sooner or later, you will have a leak on any of them.
Yes, but RAW owners actually have the ability to have the gun's designer work on individual guns :) .
Not some hired tech-ie...... What other company offers this?

Nice perk(y), but the basics of the gun aren't that complicated for one who wants to understand.
The internet for all it's bad points ..... can be a fantastic learning tool.

Last edited:
I'd take soap and water mixed in a spray bottle and squirt around the area so you can pin point where it's coming from then after I find it he leak I blow water and soap off with shop air away from anything I don't want to get wet and repair the probl
Ensure you wipe over with an oily rag or a squirt of wd40 as dish soap has salt an causes rust. A better option is leak detection spray.

Bb

Reactions: Dog and Airgunmann
I guess I haven't had a problem with dawn yet but that's good to know thanks
Yes but dish soap by its design is a very searching liquid allowing it to creep into areas that are not easy to see, while the anodising of the block and the steel used on the reg offers good protection from exposure from water, long term exposure to the chemicals and salts can cause corrosion, particularly the small screw holding the valve in place, if that gets corroded, it will most likely ruin the thread in the block requiring a repair. (I have had to fix several blocks due to this)

While I have used soap in the past, a can of spray leak detection spray is a better option, even then I have had to resort to complete immersion in water to find partially stubborn to find leaks.

Regardless of what you use, carefully drying and light lubrication will hopefully stop any issues before they start.

Bb

Reactions: Dog and Airgunmann
Yeah I get
Yes but dish soap by its design is a very searching liquid allowing it to creep into areas that are not easy to see, while the anodising of the block and the steel used on the reg offers good protection from exposure from water, long term exposure to the chemicals and salts can cause corrosion, particularly the small screw holding the valve in place, if that gets corroded, it will most likely ruin the thread in the block requiring a repair. (I have had to fix several blocks due to this)

While I have used soap in the past, a can of spray leak detection spray is a better option, even then I have had to resort to complete immersion in water to find partially stubborn to find leaks.

Regardless of what you use, carefully drying and light lubrication will hopefully stop any issues before they start.

Bb
Yeah I understand that we'll being a mechanic for 14 years I just didn't know there was salt in the dish soap never really even thought about it
What kind of leak spray?

Yeah I get

Yeah I understand that we'll being a mechanic for 14 years I just didn't know there was salt in the dish soap never really even thought about it
What kind of leak spray?
To be honest, any of the sprays used by gas engineers is suitable, I prefer the type in an aerosol can because it’s slightly more foamy. Something like this.

2131C583-03B8-4247-8918-27CA70363003.png

F1692E82-85A2-45DC-A41D-08527EA0B83E.png