• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ranging with higher powers

I got a Falcon 10-50 a few weeks ago, the X50 which is the newest iteration of the T50 they put out a few years ago (if I understand it correctly). I've been using fixed 20x scopes up to this point so this variable power and really high magnification aspect is new to me. 

I've found it ranges best at 50x, but I sure can't shoot worth a dang with it that high. As I've been figuring out the scope, it seems that ranging at 50x and then turning it down to 25x to take the shot seems to be the process producing the greatest accuracy of ranging and taking shots. I'm not sure that I'm loving the procedure though, as it seems I'll eventually make an absent-minded mistake by trying to range at 25x. I'd like to keep it at the same power for both ranging and shooting, but of course it doesn't range as well on lower powers, and biologic factors like breathing and heartbeat are too pronounced at higher powers. I'd like to shoot it at even lower power for the standing/kneeling shots, and that just further complicates the ranging and clicking by having yet another set of parameters to worry about. 

Frankly, I'm kinda thinking I like the simplicity of just having one scope magnification to worry about. 

So, how do you guys in Open and WFTF use your variable power scopes?

Most wftf shooters will leave the scope at whatever mag they use to range with. Some will turn down the mag only for offhand shots. I use a fixed power 40x Leupold....so obviously there is no turning up or down. When I had a Sightron, I left it on 50x.

You should not be less accurate with the mag at high power. There will be more perceived movement on higher power, but it’s still going to be there at lower power.....you just don’t see it as much because of the low power.

When shooting offhand, look straight through the center of the reticle and do not allow your eye to look at the spot you wish to shoot. Only use your peripheral vision to get the crosshair moved to the desired poi. This will prevent inducing a chain reaction of over correction on high mag.

Mike 

Reactions: Macros
Like anything else, repetition brings familiarity, you'll get used to it. 

But you'll need to develop your own system and do it ""the same way every time"" to avoid mistakes and also avoid wasting time.

I tell my wife to load a pellet first thing so once she's found the target in the FOV she doesn't have to restart the "locating" sequence. She has to start on a lower magnification to save time otherwise she'll take too long just locating the target with her March on 40x. Not a bad idea to remember to dial down the mag when you finish a lane so you are ready for the next one if you have trouble finding targets on high mag.

Hopefully the glass is decent and pulls off 50x well by not getting dark and blurry!!

I'm not having any trouble locating targets, even starting at 50x. I am having trouble holding steady. I know, as Mike says, that the wobble is the same regardless of power, but man o man it sure seems like I'm swinging all over that target at 50x. 50x almost makes me feel like I'm taking an offhand shot. I'll keep experimenting to see what works best. 

I agree with Steve, I'm very used to the other scopes that I've been using and a big part of my problem might just be growing pains and not being familiar with the new scope. 

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. 

Range and shoot at 50x as well. You have to find a more stable position and hold. Control your heart rate if you can. Otherwise, I just live with the wobble. I try to minimize the wobble within the kill zone of a field target. I will only lower the magnification if I cannot find the target on the dark woods.