Ranging and wheels

Rudy,

I have used both my Sightron and my Falcon X50 this year in Hunter. I found they both actually range pretty well at 16x. The key with them was using my tape measure to set my focus marker at the ranging distances to learn how and when the marker was just in focus for the ranging yardage. There is a very fine line that’s for sure.
After the AAFTA Nationals rainy event Oct 23 in Ohio, I learned some valuable lessons. #1) I ditched my progressive glasses, and started over; Resetting my diopter without them and then redoing my ranging wheel without them.
I only use my glasses now to read my ranging wheel and look at my dope on paper - then I take my glasses off to get behind the scope with a clean eyebox to shoot. Presently things seem sooo much better.

Rudy,

I have used both my Sightron and my Falcon X50 this year in Hunter. I found they both actually range pretty well at 16x. The key with them was using my tape measure to set my focus marker at the ranging distances to learn how and when the marker was just in focus for the ranging yardage. There is a very fine line that’s for sure.
This is what I’ve used - 9 yards to 58 yards
71607641277__C1817FF5-DE79-4C66-8DC2-E32691EDBFBD.jpeg

I want to come spend the weekend at your house. LOL...
update on the ranging resetting / experiment = no glasses.
i shot 30% better than i ever had the weekend following my "redo" of the scope. Sightron SIII on my Ghost carbine.
The difference was dramatic - i did learn that having a dark towel was necessary if the sun was anywhere close to beside me while ranging... i just threw the towel over my head AND the scope and i could see sooooo much better to shoot.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
update on the ranging resetting / experiment = no glasses.
i shot 30% better than i ever had the weekend following my "redo" of the scope. Sightron SIII on my Ghost carbine.
The difference was dramatic - i did learn that having a dark towel was necessary if the sun was anywhere close to beside me while ranging... i just threw the towel over my head AND the scope and i could see sooooo much better to shoot.
have you looked at getting a bisley eye cup? When I was shooting at a friends tuesday we were dealing with the sun. I didnt have it fitted. However when I put my off hand to my forehead shielding the scope and my eye I could see fine. I realized I should have had the eye cup fitted as it should have resolved the issue. I was told the stock one from sightron was meh.

have you looked at getting a bisley eye cup? When I was shooting at a friends tuesday we were dealing with the sun. I didnt have it fitted. However when I put my off hand to my forehead shielding the scope and my eye I could see fine. I realized I should have had the eye cup fitted as it should have resolved the issue. I was told the stock one from sightron was meh.
somewhere in my lair i have a few eyecups.... and now that i'm not wearing glasses i will add them to my scope if i can find them... too many nooks and too many crannies

• Haha
Reactions: MysticalDragon
somewhere in my lair i have a few eyecups.... and now that i'm not wearing glasses i will add them to my scope if i can find them... too many nooks and too many crannies
I know that all too well. I look for things I know I have gotten before but cant find when I need them. Usually find them right after its too late to return the others I just got.

Reactions: cavedweller