ranges in NJ

bozman

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Before I commit to a pcp I am trying to find out where I can shoot in NJ. Called several ranges and 2 of them don't allow airguns. The last range I called initially told me no but thought that I meant airsoft. The range is in Cherry Ridge, anyone else go there? They have ranges up to 300yds. Initially I was looking at an FX crown but have since changed my mind and will probably go with the impact M3, one reason is the increased shot capacity per fill and it's in stock. I also need to figure out what scope would be best. Hopefully someone on this Forum is familiar with this range and could recommend specs for a scope. So far I was thinking 6-24x50
anyhow if you have any other spots where one could shoot in NJ let me know. Thank you

As a former N.J. resident, I know what you have to go through to not only shoot, but to even own a gun in N.J. Air guns are viewed, by N.J. law as firearms and all that comes with them.

What ever route you take, be sure it is fully legal or you could face jail time. I know a person, that if not for a sensible state trouper, would have done just that. No back yard shooting in N.J. unless the back yard is out of view and hearing from others. I don't know at what sizepoint a plot of private land may qualify as O.K. for shooting even an air gun, if at all.

Reactions: bozman
As a former N.J. resident, I know what you have to go through to not only shoot, but to even own a gun in N.J. Air guns are viewed, by N.J. law as firearms and all that comes with them.

What ever route you take, be sure it is fully legal or you could face jail time. I know a person, that if not for a sensible state trouper, would have done just that. No back yard shooting in N.J. unless the back yard is out of view and hearing from others. I don't know at what sizepoint a plot of private land may qualify as O.K. for shooting even an air gun, if at all.
correct I know all of that, that is the reason I am asking about ranges.

I am a former NJ resident also. Most of my friends from NJ that shoot airguns belong to gun clubs in other states or shoot out of state. We used to try and run airgun matches in NJ but the out of state guys don't want to take a chance of possible hassle to come to NJ. I think Square Circle Sportmen in Gibbstown, NJ still has some airgun activity. There may be others but frankly I don't shoot in NJ anymore either.
Rick B

I moved out of NJ 19 years ago, so can’t help with ranges. I belonged to a club in Newtown PA before moving, I don’t know if they are still there, I know there were developments going up surrounding them, but they had a 200 yard range as well as a pistol range and might be an option.

As for the scope, I just got an Athlon Argos 6-24 in MRAD yesterday, I only was able to do about 30 shots so far, but like it a lot. I bought it at Midway on sale for $300.

Clearly the laws have changed since I lived in New Jersey!

When I lived there, I used to simply walk out the back door, go into the woods and shoot.
We shot airguns anywhere we wanted.

We even shot firearms right under the power lines that ran through a densely populated part of the state. Everybody did!!!

Heck, we used to meet up with the local police there.
They were shooting their guns under the powerlines too!!!!
In fact I ran into a shooter who was evaluating a long range rifle for Soldier of Fortune magazine. He was shooting down the powerlines at a target that was set up in front of a big rock at 1,000 yards.

My only advice is to shoot out of state like so many of the guys that I have tuned rifles for, who live in NJ.

Things have changed.

I wish you luck. Sincerely!!!

Paul in N.TX

I live in NY and I share your pain. I find wooded areas, behind buildings, cops have come and talked to me a few times if it obvious target practice nobody cares all that much

As far as the scopes goes. I had the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 (got a good deal from CameraLand)- now I have the Cronus , its a night and day different but a big jump in price. As you know a rifle is only as good as the scope and shooter. So whatever you get make 100% it tracks perfectly otherwise its a paperweight. If I was looking for mid range scope ($500-$700 range) Id likely get the Midas Tac or the Element Titan.

I am a member at Cherry Ridge. Have run into issues with the range officers. Long story I would be happy to talk about over the phone. Also a member at a PA range and considering a CT range next.
sort of depends what you are hoping to get out of the range,.

DM me and we can talk
Stephan
awesome will do. I have a friend who is a member but shoots firearms. I was planning on going as a guest before joining

Boz,
Depending where you live in Somerset, theres a place across the Delaware river in PA. It's the https://www.ftrpa.com/
Falls Twp rifle and pistol assn. It's private but they have a very active NRA Silhouette for lever action and Air guns. You don't have to be a member, just show up and pay $5.00 a gun (I think). Look on their community calendar and I think those matches are on Sundays. I live next to Ft Dix/McGuire AFB and have been there a dozen times.

Hello if you are close to Fort Dixx I work with a few guys who live in Staten Island who belong to a private range on base next to all their other ranges on base. I was never at the one they belonged to but the other ranges were great. Hope this helps Eric
The only problem is that since covid, you not only have to make an appt. but they want you there an hour before your time to shoot.