• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rangefinder thoughts

Loaded question - opinions on what is "best". I know - what is "best" to one guy may be over priced and not worth that much money to another guy. 

I have this one -- and honestly don't even remember where I learned about it from - here on these forums, over on GTA, some youtube video? It seems like its alright - it, for the most part does what I want it to do - tells me how far away something is. Sometimes it seems to give me 'wonky' readings though and I have to press the button two or three times on a target and I'll just average out the two or three different readings it gives me. ( these would be non-moving targets too btw . . . ) I watched one of Matt Dubbers videos recently, or maybe it was the other two guys from S. Africa - and just out of curiosity I clicked on the link for the rangefinder he uses - "oh . . . $800 - sticker shock." Ummmmmm . . . my little inexpensive one is good enough. lol

Now these guys give the Leupold RX-1600i a good overall pick in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSabGFtXAvw.  It isn't terribly expensive - I just don't know / wonder if it is that much better (if at all?) then the one I have?

What are you guys using? Pros / Cons of them?

I still use an older Leica Rangemaster 1200 that works well and will sometimes get out to (maybe a hair beyond) 800 yards on deer. Road signs often go a bit beyond 1200. Shirt pocket sized, quick to aim and range, excellent battery life. If I were buying a new one these days, the Nikon Black would be at the top of the list. But, I still shoot powder guns so the extra distance ranging is good. For airguns, it certainly seems that something with less range (less expensive) would be fine.

I have a Simmons with Tilt Technology I bought 4 or 5 yrs. ago that the dog ate the rubber eyecup and and the cover off the on-off button but the exposed switch still works. The darn thing won't die! Even the dog spit didn"t stop it! That was 3 1/2 yrs ago. A friend had a Nikon and I tested it against that out to 150 yds on p-dogs and was always within 1 or 2 yds of it. Works for me! One of the best $100 price range airgun equipment purchases I have made.

Some reviews here for those who might value a long range capable range finder.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/05/09/best-rangefinder/

Good info.👍

I especially found the info under “How they work” very helpful. It’s not just beam divergence, but how the unit processes info. Make more sense now on how much easier to range, say dove on a wire at 137 yards, versus bare wire. I have the Leica 2800.

The Leica 2800 is probably way beyond the 1200 I have but as someone above stated it just keeps working and gives me accurate readings as far as I ever need to shoot. The new technology that calculates angle and gives horizontal distance is probably very helpful, especially in the western states. Glad this topic was brought up, it led me to look at these again. I saw a Nikon Black for sale at $360 or thereabouts that I will probably order.

Are you using a ballistic calculator or have you taped your dial? I have a Leupold 650 that I paid $180 for. Works perfectly. Then I saw a clearance Halo X7 for $40, so I got it as a backup. But what I learned is that it has angular linear technology. So all I have to enter what it reads into Strelok and dial the scope. No more holding my iPhone up to get the angle, one less step. So now it’s my primary. My point being is get one with angular linear technology. It give you the horizontal distance to target which is what Strelok does when you enter the angle. Or if you’ve ranged your rifle it’s what you dial for. I didn’t know what I was missing till I used it. I can’t stress it enough- get one with the angle correction, it’ll give you the straight line distance that you need to dial in. Just my 2 cents.